User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    14
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question #57 Tunnel Hull (Hering? Molinari?)

    I posted about this boat on another part of the website, and it was suggested that I ask about it here in the racing section. I recently picked this boat up in northern Wisconsin, and was wondering if anybody knew any info about. It has a lot of similarities to an early 80's Molinari, but the closest thing I've found to it is a 1980 Hering tunnel that I came across on the message boards.

    It has the #57 on the back of the cowling, but it was painted over. The motor in my photo album is something I bought seperate and did not come with the boat.


    Here is a link to my album with more pictures--> http://s1276.beta.photobucket.com/us...o1986/library/

    And here is a link to the album I found of another users 1980 Hering that looks a lot like mine-> http://s1061.beta.photobucket.com/us...pitt1/library/

    Any information on the history of this boat would be appreciated, thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    pa.
    Posts
    229
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool boat. how long is it.? im not sure of make but its what im looking for , for my next project. nice find.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    14
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's 15'

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    St. Pete Bch., FL
    Posts
    9,732
    Thanks (Given)
    5
    Thanks (Received)
    5
    Likes (Given)
    43
    Likes (Received)
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like a molonari to me.

    96' STV Euro

    Smarta$$ of the
    Sunshine Syndicate,

    How to upload pics (click here)


    Quote Originally Posted by jphii View Post
    Well then, give her a $50 bottle of booze and don't let her know about the hookers, or what you spend on them
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    oh no. i just realized I am the voice of reason on a thread. i am so done, RIP 1Bad.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    14
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I thought at first but the construction inside of the sponsons is different and the rear of the boat isn't the same. I'm 99% sure it's a Hering, but I can't seem to find much info about Hering tunnels on the internet.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Granite Quarry, NC
    Posts
    3,993
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    30
    Likes (Given)
    15
    Likes (Received)
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have confused Hering's boats with Molinari's before, but this one looks like a Mod 50 Molinari..simply because of the wood work. Molinari pioneered the routed stringers and also finished the internal woodwork like furniture. Other builders simply straight cut the frames and used unfinished Akoume plywood. Perhaps Hering followed Molinari...perhaps not.
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)

    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    3,254
    Thanks (Given)
    18
    Thanks (Received)
    13
    Likes (Given)
    56
    Likes (Received)
    112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tunnel depth at the rear of the sponsons looks plausible for Mod 50, but 15' is awful long (most Mod 50s were 13' or at most 14'); also the transom height is too high for an OE engine. Possible someone put in a different transom for a taller engine. The rearmost 2 bulkheads look like they were added later also.

    Still looks Moly to me.


    John

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    St. Pete Bch., FL
    Posts
    9,732
    Thanks (Given)
    5
    Thanks (Received)
    5
    Likes (Given)
    43
    Likes (Received)
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    idk if this has anything to do with it, but i saw my dad's molonari being rebuilt more than once. if this one has gone over, maybe the difference in construction could have had to do with how it was rebuilt. just a thought.

    96' STV Euro

    Smarta$$ of the
    Sunshine Syndicate,

    How to upload pics (click here)


    Quote Originally Posted by jphii View Post
    Well then, give her a $50 bottle of booze and don't let her know about the hookers, or what you spend on them
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    oh no. i just realized I am the voice of reason on a thread. i am so done, RIP 1Bad.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    149
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Transom Woodwork

    Transom woodwork - photo of Molinari Mod U/ OZ tunnel ( 18' ) vs transom on SnowPro's boat (15' ). Quite different - but again, boat may have been repaired or rebuilt. As T2x writes, routed stringers are signs of a good woodworker ( Molinari ).

    Re: #57.. that number was campaigned by Ben Robertson. Not sure if that means anything in this case - Just saying... Cowlings appear to be from a Molinari, but they too could have been swapped or made from a separate mold.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dad's 80th Birthday 022.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	166.0 KB 
ID:	268015


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0772.jpeg 
Views:	78 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	268016

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Granite Quarry, NC
    Posts
    3,993
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    30
    Likes (Given)
    15
    Likes (Received)
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    Transom woodwork - photo of Molinari Mod U/ OZ tunnel ( 18' ) vs transom on SnowPro's boat (15' ). Quite different - but again, boat may have been repaired or rebuilt. As T2x writes, routed stringers are signs of a good woodworker ( Molinari ).

    Re: #57.. that number was campaigned by Ben Robertson. Not sure if that means anything in this case - Just saying... Cowlings appear to be from a Molinari, but they too could have been swapped or made from a separate mold.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dad's 80th Birthday 022.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	166.0 KB 
ID:	268015


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0772.jpeg 
Views:	78 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	268016
    Maybe Benny took a Mod 50 hull and lengthened it as a short course sprint boat for a larger motor....? Or maybe it's been through many owners and changes until it is a complete mish mash.
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)

    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    361
    Thanks (Given)
    3
    Thanks (Received)
    55
    Likes (Given)
    12
    Likes (Received)
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Small molinari

    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Maybe Benny took a Mod 50 hull and lengthened it as a short course sprint boat for a larger motor....? Or maybe it's been through many owners and changes until it is a complete mish mash.
    1977 Bristol Grand Prix Molinari him self ran in the OZ class and the OE class and won them both` the oe class i think is your mod 50 class`his engine was a factory Evinrude 3 cyl i would say his boat was 15ft it looked larger than the other boats racing he even ran nitrous on it?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Granite Quarry, NC
    Posts
    3,993
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    30
    Likes (Given)
    15
    Likes (Received)
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVERINO View Post
    1977 Bristol Grand Prix Molinari him self ran in the OZ class and the OE class and won them both` the oe class i think is your mod 50 class`his engine was a factory Evinrude 3 cyl i would say his boat was 15ft it looked larger than the other boats racing he even ran nitrous on it?
    Bingo!
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)

    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    newmarket, ont,Can
    Posts
    338
    Thanks (Given)
    292
    Thanks (Received)
    10
    Likes (Given)
    684
    Likes (Received)
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like a herring to me or seebold- stringers and inside wood in tunnel as well as transom don't look molinari workmanship- but may have been changed over the years- Rich or Mark-did molinari have any serial #'s inside or on transom?- for example the glas/moli had a serial number up inside drivers left side from what I remember on mine-

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Granite Quarry, NC
    Posts
    3,993
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    30
    Likes (Given)
    15
    Likes (Received)
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowcat View Post
    looks like a herring to me or seebold- stringers and inside wood in tunnel as well as transom don't look molinari workmanship- but may have been changed over the years- Rich or Mark-did molinari have any serial #'s inside or on transom?- for example the glas/moli had a serial number up inside drivers left side from what I remember on mine-
    Definitely NOT a Seebold.....I don't remember Where/if Molinari put serial numbers.....
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)

    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    14
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anybody is interested, I put my boat up for sale- http://www.ebay.com/itm/15ft-Hering-...m=221888287054

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Mazco