Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by outasite View Post
    I don't have a dog in the fight.But I do have a crap load of handguns,And have bought and sold them for a living,(Not much of a living by the way)But here's the thing,certain guns get a reputation for blowing up.Like the eddy stone enfields,or the spring fields below #195000 some say 250000. Fact is,if a certain model of gun blows up at a much higher rate than its competition there's a problem,The danger is this.handguns are bought and sold many times in there life,and during that time it is going to be fed some kind of handloads,and more likely than not some of them not of the highest quality.I think it's a sign of weakness,with little or no margin of safety.
    Good post.

I just want to add a couple points.

Be weary of any gun with aftermarket target sights. That always means it has been shot a lot.
    Don't buy a Glock without shooting one first, you might not like the trigger.
    I still say you can't go wrong with an utterly reliable Beretta 92.
    NRA Life Member

58' Farmall Cub

Is that your mama's boat?

"I said I didn't have much use for one. Didn't say I didn't know how to use it."- Mathew Quigley

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just went to the site about the glocks that blow up, and it seems that they want to lay the blame on "leading of the barrel" I dont know about now, but in the past, poor machining was the biggest cause of lead fouling.Cut rifling (or broached) used to be the gold standard of barrels.The down side is the tool-marks left behind,will tear the lead from the lands and grooves,of the bullet and build up.Copper jackets not so much.Then at some point they started with the hammer forged barrels where the barrel was hammerd around a carbide plug and the plug pushed out hydraulicly.This leaves a very smooth finish.Most new guns use this type of rifling.In the past lead bullets were coated with graphite for lube,and when a barrel started to lead up, accuacy went out the window long before there was a danger of high enough pressure to blow the gun up.I read in the post that part of the case in the chamber is unsupported in the glock.If that is true that combined with the lead fouling could very easly build enough pressure to cause a blow up.The case and primer in the chamber is just like a tube in a tire, you cannot blow the tube without blowing the tire.---My apologies to the fellow that started this thread. It has got way off track from the original question.
    Last edited by outasite; 11-19-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to thanks all, I bought a Ruger P-95 9mm for $339.00 out the door. Since I'm a budget can't go wrong with this gun.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by john w View Post
    Just wanted to thanks all, I bought a Ruger P-95 9mm for $339.00 out the door. Since I'm a budget can't go wrong with this gun.
    Damn good deal. I bought my "Colt Anaconda" wheel gun 44 mag (first Colt 44 too, after the 38 Python) for same LONG ago. Now been offered a grand for it. No thanks..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cant go wrong with that
    happy shootin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i finally had a chance to go shoot my new Ruger P-95. All i can say is what a disappointment, in 300 rounds over 20 jams. I was told to try various manf. of ammo, lillier & bellot,remington,magtech,winchester, the only ammo that did not jam was Fiocchi 9mm, are types were 115 grain. They jammed leaving the magazine going up to chamber, it also jammed ejecting the rounds a few times. I talked to my uncle he says i have s/w 9mm with over 2000 rounds and it never jammed,not once. Cabelas says bring it back to us and we will ship it to Ruger 2-3 weeks delay. I guess you get what you pay for !! Very aggravating.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i finally had a chance to go shoot my new Ruger P-95. All i can say is what a disappointment, in 300 rounds over 20 jams. I was told to try various manf. of ammo, lillier & bellot,remington,magtech,winchester, the only ammo that did not jam was Fiocchi 9mm, are types were 115 grain. They jammed leaving the magazine going up to chamber, it also jammed ejecting the rounds a few times. I talked to my uncle he says i have s/w 9mm with over 2000 rounds and it never jammed,not once. Cabelas says bring it back to us and we will ship it to Ruger 2-3 weeks delay. I guess you get what you pay for !! Very aggravating.
    Interesting, did you clean it first? Many manufacturers grease them up when they leave the factory because they don't know how long they will be sitting.

I had a slight problem with my Ruger, they send me an overnight airbill, and I had it back in a week
    Mirage Jaguar RiverRacer
    Polaris PRO785
    Bennington 255LCC

Scream & Fly Flying Machine of the Month:
    September 2005

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...ild&highlight=

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sux John , my Ruger has been perfect,you must've got the good one

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO go directly to Ruger or if you insist on dealing with cabellas I'd request a full refund or another gun all together. What you have described it totally unacceptable.

Service inquires for PC4/PC9 Carbines and all Pistols
    excluding the 22 Charger Pistol.
    Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
    Customer Service Department

200 Ruger Road
    Prescott, AZ 86301
    Telephone: 928-541-8892 / Fax: 928-778-6633
    (Monday through Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm MST)

Bud Conner "Heathen" "Defending Our Constitution"

FOR ALL ENGINE APPLICATIONS
    DRY Film Lubricant for Piston Skirts & Cranks + Thermal Barrier Ceramic Coatings for Piston Tops, Combustion Chambers, Valves etc !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=HStream1;2411704]IMO go directly to Ruger or if you insist on dealing with cabellas I'd request a full refund or another gun all together. What you have described it totally unacceptable.

Sorry to hear about that. I had a bad experience with the little SR-22 a few weekends ago. I had rented it to shoot between my .9 and .40 for some indoor range fun. Within the first 5 shots it stove pipes.... I clear the feed and start again finishing the mag. I load up another magazine, 2 rounds in FTF... WTH... so I move to my 9mm and .40 for a while. Since I had bought a box of .22 I wanted to finish it, anyhow on my 3rd magazine with I don't know how many FTF/FTE/SP's I finally notice that the magazine is not seated tightly, WTF. I know it was inserted and locked when I started so I eject, rack, fire, and it's loose... 3 times in a row 1 shot each. Ok I'm done with this thing and clean up. When I turn it in and tell the guy behind the counter that the magazine will not stay seated he kind of laughes me off... maybe it's cause I look so young LOL. I took the gun back from him, inserted the empty mag, racked it back, pulled the trigger, and the magazine fell on the counter..... Long of the story, a good cleaning was in order, the magazine release was sticking on it... Before you send it back I would completely disassemble your 9mm and clean off all of the storage fluid/grease/now carbon then put a very light coat of rem oil or clp, on all your springs/pins/slide/etc. Take apart and clean the magazines, and then shoot it one more time. If it still malfunctions send it back directly to ruger. Here is a old but good link to the Ruger Forum all about this problem on the P-95. Good Luck and Happy Shooting.
    http://rugerforum.net/ruger-pistols/...-problems.html

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Try a new magazine. I had long ago a .380 that I bought with a extra. Good thing, as one was always jamming. Tossed it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dropped it off today at Cabela's, the manager of the gun department said, that should not happen. When i get it back from Ruger, the manager said, if i still don't like it, i can upgrade or get a full refund or credit, thinking a S/W 9mm or a Springfield 9. A buddy was showing me how sloppy the gun is, barrel, the slide has a lot of side to side movement. I learned a lot about clearing jams. We put a paper plate at 50 yards and hit 8 out of 15 rounds, not bad i thought. 25 yards was pretty easy. Still learning here. Thanks all. Shooting is way cool. Love it !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had sent my lcp back to Ruger for a few jamming problems and when i got it back it was better then day 1 they did a great job . looked like they polished all the side and must of reworked the hole gun i don't know why its not done from day 1 but it works and shoot great now.
    good luck with your new gun .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just bouht the girlfriend a ruger black hawk in 327 mag sweet shooter lots power, she did not like my model 29 smith 44 mag 8 3/8 dirty harry, if thats not enough my 10 gage will cut an intruder in half.
    1986 stratos 180 vt 150 black max. sold
    1998 edge stealth 3.0 efi SOLD
    1994 huricane fun deck 90hp yammy
    2004 STV Euro 280 ROS 15mid Titus Sporty

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hands down a .357 revolver, for a first gun it serves many purposes...load with .38 spl for practice ( cost effective) load .357 for defense, short barrel for concealability, revolver, dont jam, no shells to pick up....use s&w, taurus, etc.....my vote by far for a first gun
    Wile E. Coyote: (acceleratus vulgaris)

Its amazing how heavy a GPS can be.....

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast