Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hand guns

I would like to purchase my first hand gun, although i have no idea of what kind to look for. I was thinking a Taurus or smith 9 mm.

Thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in my opinion youre better off staying away from the taurus and spending the the little extra to get into some better quality...the S&W M&P series is a good place to start along with the glocks and XD's...it all boils down to what feels good to you. i really like my CZ P07 duty...but thats just whats comfortable to me

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I'm a Glock guy, but the biggest thing with a weapon is making sure YOU are comfortable with it. You will be the most proficient with the weapon you feel fits you best. Go to a gun store and ask to handle and manipulate every gun in the caliber you are looking for. Find a gun store that has a shooting range, see if they have rental guns and try to shoot the ones that feel best to make your final pick.
    Keith-

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I like the Glocks too ! I would like to presuade you to think of a .45 before 9mm, you want whatever you hit to go down, not keep coming after you.....something to think about.
    God, Country, and Fast Boats
    SPECIAL BOAT TEAM 12/ HSB'S SOC NSWU-1

Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. And when your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that they weep and pray for more time that they may live there life over in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a Hero going home.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by specboatops View Post
    I like the Glocks too ! I would like to presuade you to think of a .45 before 9mm, you want whatever you hit to go down, not keep coming after you.....something to think about.
    i agree...there is something to be said about knock down power...on the other hand if its going to be a weekend plinker then id go 9mm just because it'll cost you a ton less to have fun

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on what you intend to do with it.. Do you have plans to conceal carry or is it for home defense only? I prefer to shoot a 45 but find them to heavy to conceal. I really like my sub-compact xd9. It's small and is easy to carry. The S&W is also nice but I have not shot one so.. My advice is to go to a nice indoor range that rents guns. It's usually 5 dollars to rent plus the cost of ammo for the store. You can get a good feel that way, not just go on looks alone. I'm carry my 9 with hollow point 115g. I have no doubt I will put down anyone that may decide to challenge me, I also shoot often for work and pleasure. Comfort level is key either way. I would also recommend to take either a conceal carry class or just a shooting class. Check out impactguns.com or cheaperthandirt.com for some good ideas to get you going. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Your usage will determine the weapon...

Inside a crowded room, surrounded by liberals, a pump action shotgun can't be beat

Get one of those belts that holds lots of extra shells too.
    Living in the Freedom provided by Bud Conner and his fellow warriors.
    R.I.P. my Heathen Brother

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John,GAT guns in Dundee used to rent range guns, go try before you buy. See what fits you the best.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by transomstand View Post

Inside a crowded room, surrounded by liberals, a pump action shotgun can't be beat

Pete,

You're right on the money there, seriously for home security there is nothing better than a Remmington 870, doing room clearings or CQB that is tuff to beat. Got a couple of those with riot barrel laying around too
    God, Country, and Fast Boats
    SPECIAL BOAT TEAM 12/ HSB'S SOC NSWU-1

Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. And when your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that they weep and pray for more time that they may live there life over in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a Hero going home.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by transomstand View Post

Yep! Mossberg combo in the closet. Pistol grip and short barrel. Don't even remember where I put the long barrel or the shoulder stock!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Robby321;2401518]Yep! Mossberg combo in the closet. Pistol grip and short barrel. Don't even remember where I put the long barrel or the shoulder stock![/QUOTE
    12 gauge in the corner and Pistol Close Thats it!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=MDevrow;2401520]
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby321 View Post
    Yep! Mossberg combo in the closet. Pistol grip and short barrel. Don't even remember where I put the long barrel or the shoulder stock![/QUOTE
    12 gauge in the corner and Pistol Close Thats it!!
    44 Mag under the bed, .38 and .22 9 shot Taurus in the shop....(.22 for Raccoons that get in my way)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smith and Wesson, Ruger, Glock, CZ, SigSauer, Walther, Colt, Beretta, etc. all make good guns just find the one that talks to you when you grip it and gain sight picture down the barrel... Don't get too caught up in the caliber war... Make sure it's at least of 9mm performance and the rest of the story is accuracy during an emergency... All semi-auto with few exceptions will stop an assailant with poor shop placement and most of them will do well with a well placed shot, they're all underpowered for reliable results that are immediate.. It reality, there is very minimal different in terminal performance between the 9mm/40 cal./45acp when using modern defense ammo..
    Kevin Kiser

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On a "first gun? I would go with a wheel gun. Simple. Got nothing against the slide guns but if ya can't do it 6, yer aim is off. A .38 with hollows will slow or stop anything. I have a .38 6in barrel..(love that FLASH!) Taurus and zero complaints it. S+W make a fine .38 wheel gun too. And on Taurus "lifetime guarantee"? They sure do stand behind it. I bought in 1991 the 9shot .22. when I lived in Illinois. It never did shoot straight without the rear site cranked over to the left. No big deal me..(like I don't own more weapons anyway!). Just a "hip shooter" to me anyway play gun. Well in 1994, moved west coast. About 3 years ago after 18 years sent it back. They sent it back there dime with a explanation what it was. Fixed, sent with targets back too, at 25 yards. Straight shooter now. Also I should add, if some think a .22 wont "slow ya down?" Calling BS. Not talking the "bullet here", but .22 LR ShellShot. Like a mini shot gun. Maybe 50 tiny balls. Trust me......."one shot in the face".......(I'll have to get it out a do a "fire pattern" at 6 feet). When down on there knees blind, finish'em off with the .44 mag. Thankfully I have zero worry any "2 legged predator" where I reside. Just maybe a Cougar, bear, racoons, or one day one PISSED off "PORCUPINE"! Somehow that SOB was at the end of our marina "A" dock". We left alone until it took off by itself.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would stay away from a 45 for my first handgun. A full size 9mm is pleasant to shoot and won't cost quite as much to shoot. There are a lot of great choices out there, S&W, Beretta 92, CZ, Browning High Power (one of my fav's), Desert Eagle's Baby Eagle(which is I believe the old Jericho pistol), Glock, just to name a few, all of these would be great shooter/home defense guns.

Next on my list is a 9mm on a 1911 platform.

John
    NRA Life Member

58' Farmall Cub

Is that your mama's boat?

"I said I didn't have much use for one. Didn't say I didn't know how to use it."- Mathew Quigley

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast