Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

90hp evinrude V4 on 22' pontoon need advise

First of all I am new here and not finding what I need. I have a pontoon I just bought his summer it's a Bennington 2275lx with a 90hp evinrude spl 2 stroke motor. I am currently running a beat up prop that came on it. It is a 13 pitch 14 inch diameter Michigan prop. Again beat up. I am turning 4600 rpm I know I need to get up between 5000-5500. My question is with running that beat up prop am I losing rpm's if so how many? I want to reprop the thing and want to get it right the first time. I'm thinking 3 cupped stainless 4 blade. Any suggestions? The other part of this is the motor itself. It needs some tlc, so I am wanting to rebuild the carbs, change the reeds, and remove the heads to clean out the water jackets, and replace the thermostats. While I've got it down that far I'd like to free up some power. Any suggestions? How hard can you twist these things? I know they are 5-55. But anybody twisting them harder and will it hold up?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Go down to an 11 pitch, forget a stainless prop, it's not worth it in your application.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Change your prop before you do more engine damage as it will vibrate all the way to the crank. Great engine that is actually a comercial engine being a SPL and as advised do not go with a SS prop and get your revs up on WOT, otherwise its struggleing which is not giving you the correct performance and using more gas.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with the 11", get it as close to 5500 as you can. But get it running right before you change the propeller. You won't get good wot info if its not running right. Stainless at this stage would be a mistake, 4 blade will have too much blade area for your motor to pull. Figure 150 to 200 rpm per inch of pitch change. You need 750 or so, motor mods on a boat/motor combo like you have will not be very productive. Has it been used in salt or fresh during its lifetime? Tune, plugs, therostats, water pump, gearcase lube, clean carbs if needed, but do it all before you buy a prop. Good luck