Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Historic Race Results - to keep or not to keep.

I have just discovered that the RYA, the governing body of circuit racing here in the UK, no longer have an archive of race results of major events. That means the full race results of events such as the 18 years of the Bristol Grand Prix, London Victoria Docks, the British Grand Prix at Chasewater and many, many others are lost in the mists of time. Not only have the RYA treated circuit racing heritage with such disregard but also the UIM, the international governing body of the sport, have also disposed of much of its archive of race results when they relocated to Geneva - due to lack of space!!!!

I assume the information I've been given is accurate. I would be grateful if someone would correct me if I have my facts wrong (I hope I have). If my information is correct then I feel the need to try and correct this terrible state of affairs by trying to put together as many major race results as possible. If anyone can help in this quest I would very much like to hear from you.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What else would you expect from the UIM ?????
    A bunch of total incompetents who were never interested in powerboating------only the revenue it brought in.
    When they didn't like anything, which was just about everything to do with power, it just got swept under the table.
    We were a pimple on the arse of the uim-----just a bothersome itch.
    Ever noticed where this useless blazer brigade have their HQ ? Go on have a wild guess !!!!! but guess rich and expensive !!!!!!!
    Try Brussels and Monaco and Geneva, their argument is "it's central".
    I once saw an expense sheet for one of the UIM delegates-------Film stars and Shell execs don't run to that sort of money.
    Motto has always been------Take as much as you can and do as little as you can get away with.
    Only one word for them PARASITES .
    In 1958 Cyril Benstead [ Commodore of the LMBRC] had the right idea. We ran under the RAC and formed the BRITISH RACING DRIVERS CLUB. I still have my licence.
    This was long before the RYA got their fingers into the pie.
    Why am i not surprised Roy, that they decided on a bar-b- que. for all the old records.
    I wouldn't get my Willy out to Piss on them if they were a flaming inferno.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say Jackie that it didn't really surprise me at all. Nor did the curt, disinterested reply from the RYA when I suggested that maybe part of the National Governing body's role is to preserve the heritage of the sport. What really does astound me is that there has been constant criticism of the RYA from way back. There is an article on the fastonwater website in which Len Britnell makes the same criticisms of the RYA. So why are they still the governing body of the sport? As far as I can see they have been the instigators of the sport's decline. When the sport was at its peak, why didn't all the drivers and clubs get together and tell the RYA to sling their hook? Now, with so few drivers and clubs, it would be so much more difficult to create a new governing body (although in my view it's never too late). Unfortunately everyone directly involved in the sport appear too scared to voice their true opinions of the RYA, partly because having a licence means you must not bring the Organisation into disrepute for fear of having your licence revoked - BIG Brother - or what. What the RYA and UIM did was downright vandalism and they should be brought to book for their flagrant disregard for the heritage of circuit powerboat racing. Would the APBA behave in such a barbarous way?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a Nutshell, and from the little i know of them, "YES" Not many drivers i know in the USA have many kind words for the APBA, but i would welcome their comments !!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The issues here are the same. We have two choices.

1. We can stay with the existing "Old Guard"...bad....

or....

2. We can form a new disjointed, rebellious, racing body with no tradition, acceptance or traction which instantly becomes a haven for every guy who lost a race under current rules and expects to "do better" under a new regime.....worse.

take your pick.
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we have to let the private web sites like this and others take care of boat racing history..
    http://www.fastonwater.co.uk/home.html

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What History Lassie ????? Both the RYA and the UIM have done a piss poor job of it up to now.
    The little that is known of power boat racing history does not, and never has, come from the ruling bodies.
    The only time they want to know, is when the prestigious trophies are competed for,----ie; The Harmsworth and Americas cup. And thats because of the monied names involved---and where cash is involved they are like crap to a blanket---or more politely bears round a honey pot. Though why i should be polite as far as the UIM is concerned i cannot imagine

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    The issues here are the same. We have two choices.

1. We can stay with the existing "Old Guard"...bad....

or....

2. We can form a new disjointed, rebellious, racing body with no tradition, acceptance or traction which instantly becomes a haven for every guy who lost a race under current rules and expects to "do better" under a new regime.....worse.

take your pick.
    You're absolutely right.
    On the few times there have been break away factions that have tried to improve their lot and get a fair deal, they have fallen flat.
    One of the main causes is the apathy and can't be bothered attitude of the drivers themselves.
    They moan a lot but are content to "just go racing".
    Of course you have to have rules, it wouldn't be possible to compete without them.
    Any kind of Change is "Rebellious"
    Without precedence means you don't have tradition-----and change does not mean DISJOINTED .
    Naturally if you don't agree with something you are deemed Rebellious .
    So does this mean we go along with an organisation that does little and costs a lot or should we " Rock the Boat "now and again.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Powerboat racing results history

Quote Originally Posted by fastonwater View Post
    I have just discovered that the RYA, the governing body of circuit racing here in the UK, no longer have an archive of race results of major events. That means the full race results of events such as the 18 years of the Bristol Grand Prix, London Victoria Docks, the British Grand Prix at Chasewater and many, many others are lost in the mists of time. Not only have the RYA treated circuit racing heritage with such disregard but also the UIM, the international governing body of the sport, have also disposed of much of its archive of race results when they relocated to Geneva - due to lack of space!!!!

I assume the information I've been given is accurate. I would be grateful if someone would correct me if I have my facts wrong (I hope I have). If my information is correct then I feel the need to try and correct this terrible state of affairs by trying to put together as many major race results as possible. If anyone can help in this quest I would very much like to hear from you.

Thanks for any help you can give.
    Roy hope you are keeping ok sometime last year I spoke to somebody at the motorboat and yachting magazine and asked if they had copie of back issues from the 1970s / Ray Bulman did all their race reports they told me they should have but not completely sure as all imformation had been computerised but may be ok to book appointment to visit them I should give them a ring?.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVERINO View Post
    Roy hope you are keeping ok sometime last year I spoke to somebody at the motorboat and yachting magazine and asked if they had copie of back issues from the 1970s / Ray Bulman did all their race reports they told me they should have but not completely sure as all imformation had been computerised but may be ok to book appointment to visit them I should give them a ring?.
    Long before BULMAN, there was a certain GUY HUMMEL who used to write for "Yachts and Yachting" brilliant reports, late 50's--early 60's.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    You're absolutely right.
    On the few times there have been break away factions that have tried to improve their lot and get a fair deal, they have fallen flat.
    One of the main causes is the apathy and can't be bothered attitude of the drivers themselves.
    They moan a lot but are content to "just go racing".
    Of course you have to have rules, it wouldn't be possible to compete without them.
    Any kind of Change is "Rebellious"
    Without precedence means you don't have tradition-----and change does not mean DISJOINTED .
    Naturally if you don't agree with something you are deemed Rebellious .
    So does this mean we go along with an organisation that does little and costs a lot or should we " Rock the Boat "now and again.
    Jackie:

We should always "rock the boat"...but from the inside, rather than jumping overboard.
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Jackie:

We should always "rock the boat"...but from the inside, rather than jumping overboard.
    Been doing it all my life---------Don't get you anywhere -----but i feel a lot better inside.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well----there you have it Roy,----the answer to your Question-----Should we keep records of power boat racing.???
    From the response you got and the interest shown, the answer is a definite WHY BOTHER---WHO CARES ANYWAY.
    It's always been like this----nothing has suddenly changed----a dedicated hard core and a bunch of prima donnas.
    When there was money at stake---the factories got involved-------now they sell product by different methods.
    No competition at home----and it's light years too late to stop the eastern invasion.
    Merc held Mitsui at arms length for a while, but didn't apply enough muscle for a long term deal,Top brass were always **** scared of making a wrong decision------so it was best to do an "Ostrich" and pretend it might not happen.
    It was considered polite to open the doors for fair trade --------allow the 10 far eastern manufacturers to flood the market with cheap motors----trouble was , they were good motors and you could deal [something the Americans used to be very good at, but forgot for a while].
    Enough of all this-----i could spout rubbish all night long.
    Best thing to do , is put this to bed and let the RYA and UIM destroy the evidence we ever existed.
    Let them put on the blazers and flannels and the captains hat-----cream the expenses-----smoke the Havana and do sweet F--K ALL.

ROY-----YOU SHOULD FEEL ASHAMED YOU ASKED IN THE FIRST PLACE. JACKIE.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man on a Mission

Well Jack, thanks for outlining more details of the slow demise of what should have become one of the top motor sports in the UK.

The RYA and the UIM may not be willing to recognise the history of circuit racing but me, and others, have no intention of letting that history slip into obscurity. We're about to start on the next phase of the Fastonwater project. Stay posted for further info.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    Well----there you have it Roy,----the answer to your Question-----Should we keep records of power boat racing.???
    From the response you got and the interest shown, the answer is a definite WHY BOTHER---WHO CARES ANYWAY.
    It's always been like this----nothing has suddenly changed----a dedicated hard core and a bunch of prima donnas.
    When there was money at stake---the factories got involved-------now they sell product by different methods.
    No competition at home----and it's light years too late to stop the eastern invasion.
    Merc held Mitsui at arms length for a while, but didn't apply enough muscle for a long term deal,Top brass were always **** scared of making a wrong decision------so it was best to do an "Ostrich" and pretend it might not happen.
    It was considered polite to open the doors for fair trade --------allow the 10 far eastern manufacturers to flood the market with cheap motors----trouble was , they were good motors and you could deal [something the Americans used to be very good at, but forgot for a while].
    Enough of all this-----i could spout rubbish all night long.
    Best thing to do , is put this to bed and let the RYA and UIM destroy the evidence we ever existed.
    Let them put on the blazers and flannels and the captains hat-----cream the expenses-----smoke the Havana and do sweet F--K ALL.

ROY-----YOU SHOULD FEEL ASHAMED YOU ASKED IN THE FIRST PLACE. JACKIE.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alls well here Steve. Hectic as we are about to start the next phase of the Fastonwater project. Stay tuned for further info. Hoping all is well with you.

I made contact with Sue Goddard at Motorboat and Yachting Magazine. Unlike the RYA, they have all the magazines dating back to 1904 and said that anytime we wanted to look through their collection and copy anything we want, we would be most welcome. So hopefully will pay them a visit early in the new year. All the best