Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gordon told me a couple yrs back that they were building a new 6 from a clean sheet of paper. It was supposed to have the exhaust ports and runners on the same side of the cylinder banks to counter act the poor scavenging of the port bank of the current design due to crank shaft rotation. Had a name for it too but don't remember it.
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't hold your breath for a V8 !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The etecs really are not doing that well, still alot of powerhead failures, no where near as bad as the ficht but have a ways to go..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well yags,

How many E-Tec engines do you have?? or what fact do you base your post above on..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lars strom View Post
    Well yags,

How many E-Tec engines do you have?? or what fact do you base your post above on..
    I am a certified tec, been a johnson evenrude tech since 1987, the fict engine was a disaster and should have been pulled from production, so was the BRP DI engines same as fict, the etec is still a fict version and technology has not caught up to the idea..
    their are very few etecs out their compared to yamaha merc and suzuki, evenrude has lost the market since the fict disaster..their are not that many out their and i can say 4 out of ten probably scuff a piston, the electronics are better but still have issues..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds to me like you just want to beat up on E-Tec´s

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-Champion-2012

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yags View Post
    I am a certified tec, been a johnson evenrude tech since 1987, the fict engine was a disaster and should have been pulled from production, so was the BRP DI engines same as fict, the etec is still a fict version and technology has not caught up to the idea..
    their are very few etecs out their compared to yamaha merc and suzuki, evenrude has lost the market since the fict disaster..their are not that many out their and i can say 4 out of ten probably scuff a piston, the electronics are better but still have issues..
    Since you're such an expert could you please tell me who has a better direct injection system?
    Anyone in the know would know that evinrude didn't lose its market share because of Technology......
    Last edited by Speed Jr.; 09-23-2012 at 07:51 PM.
    Larry Gempp Jr.

Proud HydroStream Powertour Member

Current Ride - 2024 22 Liberator - 450R

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for Swedish but a friend of mine won the 150 hp class race in a big race Roslagsloppet with a 150 H.O. beating all the Mercs XS and others..
    Check here for picture..http://svera.se/blogg/2012/08/07/lin...2-klass-v-150/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lars strom View Post
    Sounds to me like you just want to beat up on E-Tec´s

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-Champion-2012
    nope i have been pro evenrude for a long time those idiot engineers destroyed a great co, along with our government pressuring them to make lower emissions outboards..

yamaha's di is pretty good alot less failure rate but i am still not a big fan of them..

I would rather have a 4 stroke on a fishing boat 90% more reliable than its 2 stroke partner..

As far as a performance boat i would rather rebuild an old looper or 2.4 merc.. carbed.. And depending on the hull maybe even an old crossflow..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is time to go back on topic..Thank you

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nope i have been pro evenrude for a long time those idiot engineers destroyed a great co, along with our government pressuring them to make lower emissions outboards..

yamaha's di is pretty good alot less failure rate but i am still not a big fan of them..

I would rather have a 4 stroke on a fishing boat 90% more reliable than its 2 stroke partner..

As far as a performance boat i would rather rebuild an old looper or 2.4 merc.. carbed.. And depending on the hull maybe even an old crossflow..
    Correction, the engineers add BRP are amazing. The chief engineer is the one who screwed it all up.......again.
    Larry Gempp Jr.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correction, the engineers add BRP are amazing. The chief engineer is the one who screwed it all up.......again.
    Larry Gempp Jr.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Did someone say 4 strokes Being in Fla and having a 12 mnth boating season and salt water environment, and fisherman that go 50 mls offshore every other day.........we typically see EVERYTHING before it surfaces in the rest of the country.
    As to the Yamaha popularity.......,look at the number of dealers and their level of marketing over the last 10 yrs. Poeple buy what the mag's tell them to and what they have dealer support for. We have tons of them down here and they are starting to die premature, grizzly deaths. My street dead ends into the Intracoastal and 95% of the boats in our harbor are Yammi 4 strokes owned by people w/enough ,money to pay someone to do everything when it's needed. I just looked at the second one that committed Harry Carry while sitting on a lift
    First one was a 115 that didn't have 200 hrs on it. Came pre-rigged on his new fish boat. '04 I think. Owner had all records of his preventive maintenance. Appears that the changing Fla ambient temperature caused it to condensate internally allowing water to form and drain into the oil pan. The bearings evidently did not like the water/oil, milk shake mix. Catastrophic failure. Perfect care, in perfect shape and it's now in the scrap yard.
    #2. happened a week ago when a neighbor asked me to look at a water leak he'd found on his '07 225 Yammi. Port side of block, on top had corroded completely through! A hole the size of a #2 Pencil eraser. Same gig as aboves owner, on a lift w/motor flushed after each use.
    Just got the most recent issue of the Boat US magazine and they had a story about those same motors being a problem with Yammi and the number of members w/documented cases and that number is growing. Boat US is investigating.
    #3. local dealer that I buy popped p.heads from had exact same issues as #2. above but on bottom of p.head allowing water into oil. Motor approx. 1 yr out of warranty (again, dealer svc'd motor) and Yammi told owner to pound sand.
    Above dealer is huge and has sold everything. He is/was one of the largest BRP dealers. He loves the 4 strokes and says thats all he's working on and what kept them alive through the crash. Said they never see the e-tec's.

In the mean time, there are two neighbors w/Merc 2 strokes that refuse to die. One has an ancient (mid '80's) 150 carb motor on his deck boat. I worked on it (tune up) when he bought it 5 yrs ago and haven't touched it since. That one stays on a lift too but has NEVER been flushed or had any more maintenance (pm or otherwise) done to it since I worked on it. Runs like a top.
    Another one is a '02 2.5 200 carbed motor.Neighbor bought it new and has sat on his left ever since never flushed, never touched until they hired me a yr or two back to prep it for re-sale. Had gone offshore 50 mls each way 2 - 3 times a week the first several yrs of it's life. Thing ran like a top as is/was! Compression was also perfect. Now back on the lift rotting away again.

How bout that Yammi 225 HO 2 stroke killer too?? Been kinda quiet since all the flag wavers came out of the wood work for it's release.
    Figured by now we'd all own one
    Just sayin.
    Last edited by Instigator; 09-24-2012 at 07:51 AM.
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As a dealer for both I have seen VERY few issues with an e-tec. We have replaced 2 powerheads since they came out, one had been over 275 degrees. The problem is most dealers do not check the fuel system in the boat as they should. By the way Yags if you have been working on them that long I think you would know how to spell Evinrude and Ficht. As for market share more than suzuki, honda combined.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast