Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

24 Skater vs 25 Talon

Not looking for this year, but looking for sometihng upcoming. Probably serve as a lake boat with race tendencies. Pump gas motors, basically something to make the local rough lake not so rough. Lots of I/O's, not too many fast ones, and nothing outboard in the triple digits.

Pros/cons to each hull or in comparison from one to the other. These are what I'm leaning towards, or the likes of like a Motion 25.

Thanks all
    -Dustin
    17' Action Marine - Merc power

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im listening.
    L6fan57-88

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the no hop of a Talon.The Skater is at home out in the rough stuff.I have had four diff Talons so I am partial. hf...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothings won more races than a Skater
    Johnny Saris
    Driver-441 32 Cobra
    Saris Racing Engines
    World and National Champions
    www.facebook.com/TeamSaris

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only turn off that I can forsee is the "Skater hop" that I read about or see in some Go Pro vids posted up. It seems I've read you can get that out of it with some set up, but that's why I'm asking the questions.

I'm not racing, it's a lake boat so that does play into effect a bit. However I'd hate to have a 25 Talon and HATE how it takes some rough water after spending the money.

I guess the goal is a pump gas turn key and go boat to touch into the triple digits and go beat up on some unsuspecting "car motor guys" in "their water". Something I can't do in my Hydrostream. I'd like to haul 4 people and coolers and be comfy, also something I can't do in my Vector.

Thanks again
    Last edited by QuarterHorse; 07-05-2012 at 09:09 PM.
    -Dustin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a lot of time in a 24 with 2.5s right on the transom...105mph and NO hop....start adding 3.0s and setback and theyll hop a bit from 65-75
    Johnny Saris
    Driver-441 32 Cobra
    Saris Racing Engines

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info!

Let me define lake boat for me I guess. I've got to be able to throw anchor in the middle of the lake, get out, swim, get in, haul people, be turn key no thinking required above normal useage.

I don't want a boat I'm stuck in unless I'm on a beach etc..... I know this MAY be difficult with a cat of any sorts, but lets be real, I'm sure others use their cat like this too.

It has to take rough water that you would find on a lake at any speeds. I don't want to HAVE to be screaming to hit wakes and not have it jar my teeth out. I need it to carry a load well for when my wife and I have another couple out with us, or when it's a few guys blowing off some steam and a full cooler or two.

As far as the performance goes, I think I pretty much hit it. Triple digits and to get there with some quickness. I'm not sure of the "fastest" boat on our lake, but I know it's a cat with Merc Racing big blocks that rarely makes it out. Doesn't have to be the "fastest boat" but there are probably less than a dozen breaking 100 on this lake.

Thanks for all your advice fellas
    -Dustin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never heard of a Talon with tank problems,with every Skater thatll always be in the back of your mind.....when will the problems surface.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About 6 months ago, I went through this whole decision process of true-tunnel (Skater, Motion) vs. pod-cat (Talon, Eliminator, Cougar). I had never even ridden in a cat, but knew I was sick of the attention and focus it took to drive my chine-walking V. I read up a ton and finally decided on a pod-cat, 23-25', because I didn't want ANY quirky handling characteristics. IMO, a boat should be as easy to drive as a car. Cars don't bounce at certain speeds, nor do they chine-walk. I finally decided on a pod-cat.

My intended use of the boat was actually similar to yours. 95% leisure use, anchor at the lake and swim, plenty of room for the kids and ice chest, etc. . . with the ability to make 100 mph blasts safely.

The drawback to the true tunnel was the hop (many say it can be fixed with setup, but apparently the right setup isn't that easy to find because a whole lot of them hop like crazy), the lean-out turning (most of my riding is in the river), and the lack of room in the cockpit. Skaters may have won more races, but we aren't all in offshore racing.

I finally found a 23' Eliminator badly in need of restoration. I did a full resto-mod on it (there's another thread with a full description and pic's) and bolted on a pair of 300 Yamaha HPDI's.

When I finally got it wet, I still had never driven or ridden in a cat of any design, so it was all new to me. It didn't take me long to conclude that the ride quality in rough water was far better than the internet led me to believe. The ride was worlds better than my previous 21' V. It still suprises me how well it smooths out the rough water, and I'm not even running speeds high enough to pack air. Again, I still haven't even ridden in a true-tunnel to make a direct comparison, so take my advice as such. But, I have not experienced any porpoising, and it stays flat or leans-in in the turns, which are important to me. And, again, the ride quality in rough exceeded even the best that I had hoped for. The Talon should be very similar to the Eliminator in all the areas.
    Last edited by engineermike; 07-05-2012 at 11:06 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skaters ride great at 20-30....suck at 30-40 and then get better from there on in
    Johnny Saris
    Driver-441 32 Cobra
    Saris Racing Engines

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Talon vs Skater

I went through this same thought process. The Skater being a true tunnel, I knew it would ride better in the really rough stuff. Also with the same power would be a tick or so faster. Couple things I liked about the Talon was that it's rides great in the 30 to 50 mph range. A ton of storage, insurance is cheap(for this type of boat, IMPO), you sit lower meaning less wind. Both are great looking boats, so that for me is a push. Chuck
    CHUCK & TRACY FREELAND

1990 25 Talon with twin Merc. 300XS's
    1983 Mako 21 with Merc. 225.
    www.Fullthrottlepowerboats.com

NEVER FORGET 9/11

Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cellphone, food stamps, section 8 housing, a six-pack of beer and he'll vote for a Democrat the rest of his life.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the info fellas!
    -Dustin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "Hop" is not a problem. Goes away with seat time. Getting out to swim is easy. Getting back in, not so much.

Just Duck'n Around

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderduck View Post
    The "Hop" is not a problem. Goes away with seat time. Getting out to swim is easy. Getting back in, not so much.

I know what you mean for swimming!!!! Ordered a dive ladder for the back between the engines. Chuck
    CHUCK & TRACY FREELAND

1990 25 Talon with twin Merc. 300XS's
    1983 Mako 21 with Merc. 225.
    www.Fullthrottlepowerboats.com

NEVER FORGET 9/11

Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cellphone, food stamps, section 8 housing, a six-pack of beer and he'll vote for a Democrat the rest of his life.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swim ladder on a Skater is a travesty. Buy a Boston Whaler . . . . . . .
    Just Duck'n Around

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast