Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My best friend, Chester Chaff, raced at the JOC and was sadly killed during a race there in '75. He raced with Charlie, Ronnie Caruso along with Frahs. I think that Keith Barco also raced there too.

"Confidence" is that wonderful feeling you had right before you fully understood your true situation.- Unknown
    I don’t know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they terrify me.- Duke of Wellington
    “I am not afraid of an Army of lions lead by a sheep; I am afraid of sheep lead by a lion.” – Alexander the Great
    Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.-Douglas MacArthur

Allison GSE 300XS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tryed to post a couple pics of the critchfeild that jonny fitts drove . Then popps drove it for a couple seasons .there r a couple pics on my facebook mike agnew . I never meet danny but popps raced a 18 foot v with a ccc on it for yrs plus the 13 foot boats were just bad ass little boats i had 2 with hot rodded 3cyl wish i still had mine
    Mike agnew

#2 iron from the Mayo clinic, Fla. / Blue Ridge, VA.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool I wasn't there that race JR ,,,

but herd alot about it, Jeff Little was the guys name I belive and he was a good friend of Clark Coit or Coyt (sp), he had the merc dealership on doctors lake in OP and Curtis Johnson worked there, he was in a yellow hydrostream and in a turn the bow cought and pushed the nose over and they colliaded, the bow of a hydrostream is more rounded than an allison and dosen't cut into a wake. Chaffy was I thought his last name. hydrostreams were new to the scene then.

Mike was your dad Danny Agnew? I herd about him a few years ago and was saddened to hear the news. Welcome to the mix!!! fun out
    most overnite successes usually take at least 10 years

Certified turd polisher,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea thats him he knew danny pretty good but back then popps was running his critchfeild and winning with it and the other 2or3guys dad was wrenching on. i was young but i remeber when danny died it was a new boat that he was testing and for what ever reason he wasnt wearing his jacket it happens to us all been out playn allday u get used to it then that 1 pass and u never know what happens till the spray gose away was a time were just about ever boat popps and me got n to a bad ass boat with no jacket i guess we were just lucky after pulln a good freind of mine out of the lake with just his head cut made me think real hard bout wearing it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool I herd he had an accident,

someone came on here and said he had a bad one. I met him when the mellon bellies came to east lake, I think I have some video of that one, great time, tons of parking lot cookin eatin n story tellin

Certified turd polisher,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also remember Terry Frahs always out testing behind our house on Ortega River and one day after a fast pass the engine noise suddenly stopped and there was just a debris field. Another boater was able to pick Terry up from the water, we did not happen to have our boat in the water that day.

"Confidence" is that wonderful feeling you had right before you fully understood your true situation.- Unknown
    I don’t know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they terrify me.- Duke of Wellington
    “I am not afraid of an Army of lions lead by a sheep; I am afraid of sheep lead by a lion.” – Alexander the Great
    Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.-Douglas MacArthur

Allison GSE 300XS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Terry was one Hard Chargin Sum Bitch,

Quote Originally Posted by JR IN JAX View Post
    I also remember Terry Frahs always out testing behind our house on Ortega River and one day after a fast pass the engine noise suddenly stopped and there was just a debris field. Another boater was able to pick Terry up from the water, we did not happen to have our boat in the water that day.
    after that being said, probably one of the most talented builder's on the east coast. Rocki Aokie chose him for a GN effort. not a accolade to be taken lightly. was an inspiration to me

Certified turd polisher,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr fun View Post
    after that being said, probably one of the most talented builder's on the east coast. Rocki Aokie chose him for a GN effort. not a accolade to be taken lightly. was an inspiration to me
    Terry used to give me a rough time for buying a Hydrostream, which he said "was a junk boat" and "probably would not do over 100 MPH" instead of having him build me one, for-the-same-money that "would go over 100 in a heartbeat". I just never was a carmotor fan.....

Terry is always a source of conversation as to whether he is still alive after his disappearance....

Allison GSE 300XS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought Terry's shop from MaryAnn after he disappeared, people still come by with Terry sightings, predominate story is he's in south america or the bahamas, He was quite a character.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey kb5050 when you baught the shop did it have any boats in it? I all ways wandered what happened to THE GODFATHER that my friends was one bad boat. One year myself my brother and dad were boatin going thrue down town jax many years ago and we heard some one yell hey Wilmer and allova sudden this jersey skiff come plowing straigt at us wide open then he hit the reverse button and I just knew he was comeing thrue ol six pack our old glasstron. It was Terry hawd dam daddy was a bit upset but ol Terry just laughed. I am VERY PROUD to say that My dad Wilmer T Atwell saved Terry life one year at Bertmaxwell on trout river. Some may remember we used to drag race from the bridge. well Terry boat rolled or blew off pinning him under the dash and dad was the first to get to him diveing under the water and pulling him from the boat. God I miss those days. Did not mean to high jack the Critchfield thread but these stories every one are telling go hand and hand.
    Last edited by madtunnel; 06-19-2012 at 09:33 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keith,
    I did not realize that was you. Good to hear from you. My family [Bobby] still lives right down the river from your shop. I switched from the Vector to a Grandsport since I probably saw you last. Do you still have any of your Allisons?

BTW, my oldest brother [who you may/may not know] who raced the inboard hydros on the National APBA circuit in the RJ hulls passed away recently.
    Last edited by JR IN JAX; 06-19-2012 at 09:28 AM.

Allison GSE 300XS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's amazing there are over two thousand views on this thread alone Thats a testamoeny to the Critchfield name in it self i think.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Madtunnel, MaryAnn had an auction at the shop to sell the contents before she sold the building, not sure what happened to the Godfather, someone said they saw it at the races in stuart in the 90's, It was a cool boat. I remember your dad from JOC, great guy.

Jr, Sorry to hear about your brother. I still have the blue and white 20' allison I've had forever and the red/white twin eng 20.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool kb5050 great to see and hear from you here !

I have the skiff molds, met you through Pete, sort of. I actually first got to know you when you brought a black pickle fork hydro to pottsberg creek and we went for a ride, good times. Danny was a one of a kind guy, never knew him to ever get upset, just a steady cool dude. I'm not sure a jacket would have helped him. we gotta tighten this jax group together and do some of the other events around the state, I want to do a run from jax bch to matanzas . , some of the others have said they will come, from beach marine, we have motels, resturants, ramp and parking. It's wide open running with no wake zones to worry about, just common sence thru palm valley.

Mitch? I always thought alot of your dad, one of the names that you thought of first at JOC. talked with your brother a bit on here, great to hear from you. George Ivey Jr lives around the corner from me, we gotta get together and represent Jax on some of these trips, as life lets us.

good to know you guys are out there, here's to Danny

Certified turd polisher,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the old days...When my family first moved in on Ortega River [mid 1950s] there was about 300' of alligator infested swamp between our house and the river. We hired several large site development contractors who did nothing but get their equipment stuck. My Dad had a friend who recommened a young guy who had started his own business, so he tried him. The hard working guy used a very small bulldozer and much smaller equipment than the "big guys" did. He made very short work of what the others could not do.
    My Parents were very pleased and recommended him to all of our neighbors.

He went on to become very sucessful until he passed away at a much too young of an age...BTW this was Keith's Dad....

Allison GSE 300XS

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast