Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need your advice and input on starting a race in Leesburg, FL

Hello members/racers;

I belong to the Leesburg, Fl Boating Club and we are trying to bring back boat racing to the Leesburg / Venetian Gardens area. We have the good graces of the City of Leesburg on doing this. In one of our meetings the suggestion of holding some drag boat races would be a good way on getting our feet wet and then making it grow in the coming years.

Any advice or requirments that might be needed to do this would be helpful.

Mako262

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would love to see a race in town if you want someone to give you the best input contact Dorsey Frabott he can help you out and point you in the right direction

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the ODBA web site there are phone numbers there, and call them alot of the members are from Fl.
    IT AIN'T FAST , IF ITS NOT ALLISOON MAN POWER!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out corboatracing.com in California. Contact them. I'm sure you would get valuable info.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mako262,

My name is Wayne Holtzclaw, the Media and marketing director for F1PROP / USF1 Powerboat (http://www.f1prop.com / http://www.facebook.com/pages/Formul...r/164993690921)

We race 3 classes of tunnel hulls, formula lights, formula 2 and formula 1. I'm going to have our series president Jose Mendana, Jr. contact you regarding putting on a race. It is also possible to get a couple of different classes / series together, which makes for a real fun weekend

Wayne

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mako,

Has the LBC determined how much money they have to put towards this event? That would be a good starting point to determine what can be done as far as racing.

I live in Ocala just up the street and race on the F1PROP/USF1 Tour and have tried to get something going in the Villages. Unfortunately, they don't believe Lake Sumter is deep enough. Since you mention Venetian Gardens, I presume you are looking to do this on Lake Harris near Downtown for pits/ramps/spectators. I haven't been to downtown in a few years. Are there adequate ramps/pit areas there?

I test up in Ocala often and could bring down the F1 and F-Lights for some demonstration runs to show what our style of racing would bring. Also, Jose Mendana, Jr could come up from Miami with his F1 and F-Lights and we could do some demos. That would give you 2-F1's and 4-F-Lights to look at.

Contact me at L22400@aol.com if you want to discuss any of this further. Great to hear there is interest in bringing boat racing of any kind back to Central Florida. It is sorely missed and needed.

Take Care,

Steve Lee

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve, Wayne & Doc:

Thank you for your replies. We at the LBC and the City of Leesburg would love to see your boat(s) and a demo run. I have forwarded this infomation to Mr. Martin Boyd and he will be getting in contact with you all as to when we can do this. I know that Champ Boats ran there many years ago. We have great Pits/Ramp and viewing areas. Looking forward to seeing and meeting everyone.

Doug Wade

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how about some drag racing?/ make it a full race weekend

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    drag race would be great havent had one in lake county since my grandpa quit putting them on in eustis and that was in 2005

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it would be great to see a race ill bring my allison.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mako262 View Post
    Hello members/racers;

I belong to the Leesburg, Fl Boating Club and we are trying to bring back boat racing to the Leesburg / Venetian Gardens area. We have the good graces of the City of Leesburg on doing this. In one of our meetings the suggestion of holding some drag boat races would be a good way on getting our feet wet and then making it grow in the coming years.

Any advice or requirments that might be needed to do this would be helpful.

Mako262
    Sounds great!!! I've been boating on Lake Harris and Lake Eustis for about a year off and on, and know it would be a great place for an event! Another event you may consider, which could be included with a race event to increase boater involvement, would be a Poker Run. With the number of stops on the Harris Chain it would be a perfect location.
    Either way, if I'm off the weekend you hold any event on the Harris chain, I'm in. Also if you set up a demo let us know when.
    I've set up, and promoted, other racing events that were very successful so if I can help in any way please let me know. My work schedule is 3 days on 3 days off so I could offer some help if you need.
    L8R,
    Sid

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sidney, We have been talking to the F1 guy's for a demo and a few other groups. Drag Boats would be great for our venue. We have brought up doing a poker run and are talking to the restraunts on the lake. We just had a scavenger hunt last Sunday with a good turn-out.
    The City is really getting behind us. I will post when the demo is going to take place. We would love anybody with prior expirence to give us their input.

Doug

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm subscribed to this thread so I get emails when posts are made. I'll also let you know if I come up to Lake Harris so we can meet. I'm planning on coming up in the next week or two for a couple of days.
    L8R,
    Sid

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm in for a poker run too

Quote Originally Posted by Mako262 View Post
    Sidney, We have been talking to the F1 guy's for a demo and a few other groups. Drag Boats would be great for our venue. We have brought up doing a poker run and are talking to the restraunts on the lake. We just had a scavenger hunt last Sunday with a good turn-out.
    The City is really getting behind us. I will post when the demo is going to take place. We would love anybody with prior expirence to give us their input.

Doug