Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Pitch Prop Questions

I picked up a Carlson Contender this winter that had an 80hp merc on it with bad compression. I only wanted the hull anyway. I was thinking of putting a 65 hp 1980s evinrude on it or if I have to another Merc in the area of 55-65 hp. I was wondering if the right prop would make up for the lack of power on the so called "repower". I know everyone will respond in caps flipping me the bird since i'm not thinking of a jackplate and a four stroke 225hp Merc...but this is my back up boat, a boat i am keeping around for friends to use, and I do plan on one day making it run like a batouta hell, but it may be 6 or 7 years from now. So if you know this hull -would a 55-75 hp sufice???? It wll be kept on a river that lacks a ton of room to stretch it out anyway..top speed not super important, I want it to have a quick start and plane nicely,

Thanks for your patience on this matter ya'll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that a 14 1/2 foot flat bottom boat? Or did I find the wrong boat when I googled Carlson Contender? 65 HP would be adequate for 'normal' use on a boat that size.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes it is. the challenger was 16 ft. the contender is 14.5 and rated from 40hp to 85 and i think the challenger goes from 85 to 125, so the old adds say. adequate for normal use sounds about what its going to be doing for the xext 5 years...i wouldn"t want to go to crazy on hp till i find out if 2 stroke will die out here and i rebuild the transom...
    So would a different pitch prop be worth it for better of the line speed and planing?

Also its front half tunnel hull that turns flat in the rear...don"t know if that matters
    Last edited by gtcontender; 05-16-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to be picky but they did not make a 65hp in the 80's they were from the early 70's from evinrude-johnson!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats good to know... i know they made 70hps...that was just a generalization... the year or size isn't as important as the condition..i'm finding it hard to find a quality engine anywhere localy..

I did find a nice 1993 evinrude 50 hp with power trim and short shaft, I thought it would be to small, thats why i was asking if certain props can make up for less power, to some degree???
    Last edited by gtcontender; 05-18-2012 at 06:39 PM.