Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Klotz Outboard TechniPlate TCW3......mix ratio confusion !

I see that Klotz is making a TCW3 outboard specific ashless full synthetic oil. Outboard Techniplate 332/333. I am thinking of giving it a try this season.
    Checking up on the tech and msds sheets, I am coming up with something strange. klotz is recommending NOT to run oil mixtures heavier 50/1 due to possible "over lubrication". I have never heard of something like this. They only recommend 40/1 for specific applications and/or 9000-9500 rpms and over. Here is what they are saying..............

DIRECTIONS: Pre-mix or pour directly into oil injector. Mix at 40:1 to 50:1 ratio. For Hi-performance Mercury 2.5 Drag engines with 26cc heads run over 9500-9800 RPM mix at 40:1. Do not mix richer than 50:1 for any application under 9000 RPM to prevent over-lubricati
    Here is the link to the tech sheet. http://www.klotzlube.com/techsheet.a...7&submit2=View

Any one run this oil here ? I just cant see why it would be bad to run at 40/1 for Hi-Po Merc motors ??? Is this oil just that GOOD ??

There Skicraft Techniplate oil doesnt state anything like this, and those "jet skis" are turning about the same rpm's as our outboards. What gives?

Hmmm, make me scratch my head a little.

b0atguy
    Last edited by b0atguy; 04-22-2012 at 06:08 AM.

1986 Hydrostream Vegas XT
    Mercury Bridgeport EFI
    Brucato ACU
    CCM Drag Reeds

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I run, and I run it 32:1 in my 280 w/260 electrics. No issues whatsoever.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a Klotz fan, I run Drag motors @ 32:1
    Jay @ JSRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are saying its ashless, so that has to help with the "sludge" issues of the past right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Smith View Post
    I'm not a Klotz fan

Mercury Bridgeport EFI
    Brucato ACU
    CCM Drag Reeds

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find Klotz to be one of the dirtest burning oils used in outboards todate, I'm having GREAT luck with Redline in race motors ( alky - and gasoline burning engines )..

Just my findings,
    Jay
    Jay @ JSRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have run it for a long time in all my Merc. It works................... DP. Just ask the ones i have raced for the last 12 years or so.. Tune your engine to your oil you run..
    David Pou
    (803) 345-0155

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was told once, back when I was. klotz dealer, that the oil is all the same, the bottle is just different. The reason they don't have all the special instructions on the ski craft is that they are mostly injected.
    This is what my supplier told me. He sold me ski craft for snowmobiles because they were out of the snowmobile labeled stuff. It sure looked the same to me, but what the heck.
    The Reverend, (Cedar Machine Service on Facebook)
    1989 HST 2.5 260 Merc Offshore
    1991 Vaserette YT 200 Mercury
    1988 Venus XT 200 Yamaha
    1983 Viper II Merc 90
    1977 Viper
    Mini GT tunnel, 25 Merc
    "African Queen" pontoon 25 Merc
    Aluma fishin tub, 20 motors to choose from!

GUESS WHAT?...I gotta fever,...and the only prescription...IS MORE COWBELL!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So...........what mix ratio are you guys running?

With a Bridgeport EFI, its not easy to tune the engine to match the oil ratio as easy.......well not with the the stock analog ECU (maybe with a re-flash). With a Brucato ECU it would be easier.

I would like to run 40/1 in a Bridgeport because of the nic cylinders. Cant see how a bit more oil would be detrimental ???? I wouldnt have even given it a second thought until I read the tech sheet. Now I am just a bit nervous about going more than 50/1. I will not be turning over 7000 - 7500 rpm's.

b0atguy

Mercury Bridgeport EFI
    Brucato ACU
    CCM Drag Reeds

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mix it at 40/1
    Erik Kiser

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've run Klotz KL-101 ( same as KL-100 with 20% castor) since John Klotz sent me his first formula of a synthetic in the late 70's to early 80's to experiment with at a 100/1 ratio. I ran the engine I still run on my Mod-U boat at 40/1 from 2001 to 2010 without ever taking the heads off. Over 25 races lap after lap at 9500-10,000 rpm ( some 600 plus laps). Now that should say a lot. When I tore it down to re-ring it it was clean and virtually no signs of excessive wear. Even the rings still appeared to be in good shape. I likely could have run it longer but just thought I was going to extremes. Not to mention it is Methanol compatible ( certainly ethanol compatible). When we tested various oils ( 7-8 brands I believe) several years ago we found Klotz to be one of the toughest oils period. The film strength of the Castor in KL-101 is the toughest available. Klotz is not for everybody. It's expensive and there are other brands that are far less expensive and will do fine in most applications BUT my experience under extreme conditions is why I continue to run it and have for some 30 years. Some of the brands we found to be every good were Mercury Premium Plus synthetic blend, Klotz KL-332, Klotz KL-100, Amsoil ( we had a plug fouling issue with Amsoil at 25/1 ratios but over all it was good when used as recommended) and even Pennsoil 100% synthetic. A simple friction wheel test will show you the film strength and the lubritive qualities . Long term effectiveness will take into consideration the mixture ratio, the way the engine is used ( long idle periods to extreme WOT operation ect, and the fuel used so over all it's a personal preference. I can only state my experience. I do not recommend Klotz KL-101 with Castor for every day use as Castor bean oil will cause build up over time in average daily recreational use and it states this right on the container, but for out and out racing it's as good as it gets.
    www.eagleoneperformance.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The super Technaplate with castor oil most certainly will varnish things up. You will see a brown varnish on the pistons and such that have to be removed with lacquer thinner. It's a great lube, just not for everyday use.

We ran Klotz exclusively in our race/speed run snowmobiles a while back. 10,700 rpm Polaris triples to be exact. We even had one with cast pistons (dime store cheap, brother-in-law).. Never had an oil related problem.

I had a Sunnen industrial rep along with a Polaris engineer show up at the shop once to find out what we were doing when Polaris' first watercraft engines were giving them trouble in development. It had nothing to do with oil, but rather machining and tolerances. Long story short, I declined the contract to repair 5000 brand new engines...
    The Reverend, (Cedar Machine Service on Facebook)
    1989 HST 2.5 260 Merc Offshore
    1991 Vaserette YT 200 Mercury
    1988 Venus XT 200 Yamaha
    1983 Viper II Merc 90
    1977 Viper
    Mini GT tunnel, 25 Merc
    "African Queen" pontoon 25 Merc
    Aluma fishin tub, 20 motors to choose from!

GUESS WHAT?...I gotta fever,...and the only prescription...IS MORE COWBELL!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input guys. I think I will run it at 40/1, and see how it goes. I will just read the plugs and check compression more often this season.
    The 333/332 Outboard Techniplate is a little on the salty side, but its nothing compared to rebuilding a Nik BP.

B0atguy

Mercury Bridgeport EFI
    Brucato ACU
    CCM Drag Reeds