Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Silverton section of Toms River, NJ/Stuart, Florida
    Blog Entries
    2010 census for brick was 75,000. 101.5 is often wrong to prove their point especially Jim Gerhardt. The cameras fire when the light turns red. The pictures I have viewed clearly show a red light, not amber, in relation to the vehicles in the intersection..If it was yellow going in and red while you still in it your probably getting a ticket. People around here with no reguard for traffic signals is one of the reasons I rarely ride my bike anymore.
    Last edited by vnemous; 03-19-2012 at 01:29 PM.

Lots of bad/incorrect/facts and data out there floating around about the red-light cameras. My girlfriend works as one of the city department of transportation people where I live...and it's amazing how much different the facts are after I talked to her about it. There are lots of people out there that just don't want them...period. So, in order to gain public support against them...they start the rumors about "shorter yellow lights", and "you will get a ticket if you enter the intersection on a yellow"....on and on with all the BS. After getting the facts and hearing how they are REALLY set up, I'm all for them.

BUT....just like anything else, there are going to be times where people get a ticket when they shouldn't.....but the rate is low, something less than a tenth of a percent if I remember right. Not sure about other city's, but there I live...I've seen the real statistics with my own eyes....and crashes from red-light running has gone down 50% since they were first put online. And...rear end crashed have not gone up....even though there are those who will swear that every is getting rear-ended now because they are slamming on there brakes because they are afraid to get caught in the intersection and get a ticket. That's just not true. It's not happening.

If you look at the actual data collected, they DO reduce accidents, they DO reduce fatalities.....but they DO make a very small percentage of mistakes like everything else. I think the good far outweighs the bad. You can't go by what the media reports....they are very politically motivated...it's amazing what they will print if they get pressure from the right person or group.

They have actually taken our all offline now because of a big public concern...started by some false facts that were broadcast on a local radio. Now it's got to go to city council for a vote again. What a pain.
    Ian

...boatless for now.

We've had the red light cams in a bunch of cities in south Florida for a while and it's not a big deal. Here's a few things I've learned about the way they work.

1. The camera goes off when the light turns red. If you are not beyond the mid-point of the intersection, you can get ticketed. You won't get a ticket by running a yellow light.

2. The revenue projections are waaaaaay off. For the first few months, the city will make good revenue from red light fines but after a while, people realize they are on camera and they don't run reds anymore. It's great for safety but if the city is really counting on that red light revenue, they're screwed.

3. The fine for red light camera violations is not a moving violation here. It's like a parking ticket. Albeit a very expensive one.

4. If you get caught by a camera you can upload the photo of the exact second the picture was taken on the internet. You can even see the close-up shot of your license plate.

5. If cities want to make intersections safer, all they have to do is add a few more seconds between when one light turns red and the other turns green. In other words, all four directions would have a red light for a few seconds between changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Action Dave View Post
    5. If cities want to make intersections safer, all they have to do is add a few more seconds between when one light turns red and the other turns green. In other words, all four directions would have a red light for a few seconds between changes.
    They've already done a lot of that here too. It results in more wasted time idling our engines and wasting gas while we sit at a double-red light, going nowhere. I don't need a computerized signal to protect me from myself, and I don't deserve to be dumbed down to the lowest denominator in the name of safety.

I've driven the same 33 mile route to work for 15 years. I know the signal duration, signal order, and which lights use magnetic proximity loops in the pavement at every intersection along the way. I anticipate, brake and accelerate appropriately to avoid stopping altogether whenever possible, to maximize my fuel economy. I know when every light along the way changes or is about to change. When I have a passenger, it's fun to "point" at the lights to "make" them change. Freaks people out.

Several counties and municipalities arouond here have installed roundabouts in recent years to keep traffic moving. They're great once you get used to them. There's only ONE rule: Yield to cars already in the roundabout. There's no sitting, no waiting, and no running red. It also doesn't require a half-kilowatt of constant power supply to run a stupid computer.
    Last edited by pyro; 03-19-2012 at 02:18 PM.
    '89 Hydrostream Vegas XT, '90 Merc 2.4 Bridgeport PCU EFI
    My YouTube videos________My Flickr photo gallery
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1706097519

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro View Post

Several counties and municipalities arouond here have installed roundabouts in recent years to keep traffic moving. They're great once you get used to them. There's only ONE rule: Yield to cars already in the roundabout. There's no sitting, no waiting, and no running red. It also doesn't require a half-kilowatt of constant power supply to run a stupid computer.
    Just the opposite here. My county over the years has removed most of the circles (roundabouts) because they were shown to cause traffic delays and cause accidents. I guess its all in what you want the reports to say.

I heard that 60% percent of the tickets are from turning right on red. As far as know, a right on red is legal as long as you complete stop. If true, I think thats BS..........
    Cawley

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by native2 View Post
    I heard that 60% percent of the tickets are from turning right on red. As far as know, a right on red is legal as long as you complete stop. If true, I think thats BS..........
    I assume you drive on the road and be truthfull how many times do you see someone stop before making a right on red. Its almost a never unless someone in front of them is stopped. Just like cell phones I think it worse the ever. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by native2 View Post
    Right on red is legal unless a sign says it's not. They only put the signs there if there's a lack of a clear view, such as an intersection at the middle of a downtown area with trees on the sidewalk.

If everyone would just STOP for red (and WAIT on red when right on red is illegal), then we wouldn't need to have this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by vnemous View Post
    I assume you drive on the road and be truthfull how many times do you see someone stop before making a right on red. Its almost a never unless someone in front of them is stopped. Just like cell phones I think it worse the ever. JMO
    I actually do completely stop at a right on red. Guess I don't want a ticket. However, I am told they are issuing the photo tickets to folks weather you come to a complete stop or not. So I guess what i am asking is, if it is not illegal, how come you still get a ticket.
    Cawley

You should not get a ticket for coming to a complete stop before turning on red. Unless, it's at a posted intersection where there's no turn on red. My girlfriend got a camera ticket for coasting through a turn on red. If the light is red, just stop. Then turn when traffic is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by pyro View Post
    They've already done a lot of that here too. It results in more wasted time idling our engines and wasting gas while we sit at a double-red light, going nowhere. I don't need a computerized signal to protect me from myself, and I don't deserve to be dumbed down to the lowest denominator in the name of safety.
    How much fuel do you waste idling at a red light for an extra 2 seconds? Instead of the light turning green as soon as the other light turns red, it should just wait another 2 seconds before changing. That's all I'm saying.

Blog Entries
    The camera takes a photo, not a video so I dont know how, with a pic that could tell if you stopped or not.

Supposedly people are getting tickets even though they stopped. They have a photo of you going through a red light. How can you prove you stopped first...... You can't....... Pretty sure its a shake down. Sucs
    Cawley

Quote Originally Posted by Action Dave View Post
    How much fuel do you waste idling at a red light for an extra 2 seconds? Instead of the light turning green as soon as the other light turns red, it should just wait another 2 seconds before changing. That's all I'm saying.
    Collectively we waste millions on fuel while idling at poorly set-up traffic lights.

On the internet, 63% of the facts are made up on the spot, and the other 47% are complete lies.
    "Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast