Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bought 1997 Merc OS Carb 225 3.0, and parts motor EFI..Can I use efi on carb engine

Just bought 1997 225xl 3.0 carbed, Merc Offshore. owner thinks has carb problem, bottom carb leaked and had rebuilt but who knows? Engine had about 85-90 psi on all cylinders, quite even, stone cold 45 degree engine on very weak battery, so think compression is good. Lobsterman bought boat used and says never ran right, has had multiple different mechanics work on it but not fixed Trying to push a 27' lobsterboat.

Deal came with same series parts engine , think same year seized EFI 225 3.0 offshore, all parts for EFI are there. Going to take the 78 200 2.4 rebuilt black max off my 21 Sanger which runs 58 gps with it, off, and bolt on a 3.0 225...the boat is a heavy solid boat, and I think the extra displacement will supply a bunch more torque...Sangers seem to be able to handle blown big blocks in this size range.

Anyone know if I can just transfer the EFI stuff or EFI stuff and reed cages, or what is involved in using the EFI, or should I just work the carb kinks out and run it like it is. What is the benefit of the EFI.less smoke, more power??

Can't seem to find any info on line. Also wondering if " Carb Problem" might be reeds...bottom plugs looked like not firing so spark? So hard to figure out without starting at the beginning, but hey, with compression, all is fixable.

I think the Vertical reed 2.4 200 is probably more like 180 at the prop,, so I'm hoping for 65 with the 225 it is a pretty big boat.

Seems like a lot of effort for a few mph, but that is who we are I guess.

Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you go the efi route you must swap over to all the efi electrics, the stator is the same though. that includes swapping the efi harness and going to the 2 computers instead of 1, and you must change the intake manifold as well, the 4 bolt pattern on the front is close to the carb manifold, but not the same. also, you'd have to have the injectors cleaned(any local injector shop that is competent can do it), keep in mind the injector seal kit(to reinstall the injectors, which includes the orings, is over 140$ alone). it might be cheaper and easier to go thru the carbs again, and figure out why the engine isn't running rite/ 3 litres are known to have stator problems.
    action mobile marine, 772 528 0754, dealers for aces fuel products,wolf efi, pro marine,latham and gaffrig/livorsi. we build gearcases and modify them(3 litre) to ratchet, and powerheads as well. 21 skater/3 litre wolf efi 113 mph the engine build http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-3-litre-build

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Thanks for the input, I figured for the $1500 I paid, as long as the compression was good the whole mess was well worth it. Ordering a factory service manual, and will test stator and go thru the whole thing, you just never can tell the whole story when somone tries to piecemeal fix a complicated system with three different mechanics throwing parts at it. Need to start at the beginning, do like the simplicity of the carbs, and engine looks pretty clean. Looks like I will have a spare stator in parts motor if the same anyway.

sure I'll get to the bottom of this eventually, maybe I'll keep the 2.4 on the boat until I do.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mrcrsr View Post
    if you go the efi route you must swap over to all the efi electrics, the stator is the same though. that includes swapping the efi harness and going to the 2 computers instead of 1, and you must change the intake manifold as well, the 4 bolt pattern on the front is close to the carb manifold, but not the same. also, you'd have to have the injectors cleaned(any local injector shop that is competent can do it), keep in mind the injector seal kit(to reinstall the injectors, which includes the orings, is over 140$ alone). it might be cheaper and easier to go thru the carbs again, and figure out why the engine isn't running rite/ 3 litres are known to have stator problems.