Just bought 1997 225xl 3.0 carbed, Merc Offshore. owner thinks has carb problem, bottom carb leaked and had rebuilt but who knows? Engine had about 85-90 psi on all cylinders, quite even, stone cold 45 degree engine on very weak battery, so think compression is good. Lobsterman bought boat used and says never ran right, has had multiple different mechanics work on it but not fixed Trying to push a 27' lobsterboat.

Deal came with same series parts engine , think same year seized EFI 225 3.0 offshore, all parts for EFI are there. Going to take the 78 200 2.4 rebuilt black max off my 21 Sanger which runs 58 gps with it, off, and bolt on a 3.0 225...the boat is a heavy solid boat, and I think the extra displacement will supply a bunch more torque...Sangers seem to be able to handle blown big blocks in this size range.

Anyone know if I can just transfer the EFI stuff or EFI stuff and reed cages, or what is involved in using the EFI, or should I just work the carb kinks out and run it like it is. What is the benefit of the EFI.less smoke, more power??

Can't seem to find any info on line. Also wondering if " Carb Problem" might be reeds...bottom plugs looked like not firing so spark? So hard to figure out without starting at the beginning, but hey, with compression, all is fixable.

I think the Vertical reed 2.4 200 is probably more like 180 at the prop,, so I'm hoping for 65 with the 225 it is a pretty big boat.

Seems like a lot of effort for a few mph, but that is who we are I guess.

Dave