Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Tohatsu TLDI (Similar to Optimax) 40hp Compressor Failure (lots of pics)

As you all know, Tohatsu's TLDI system is licensed from Orbital, the same company that Mercury licenses Optimax from. The systems are similar and both use an air compressor to facilitate the direct injection of fuel into the cylinder.

As you can see the TLDI compressor looks very similar to the compressor used on the Optimax's. Symptoms were engine would not run at all below 1500 or so rpm. Air pressure on rail was 10-15 lbs. low at 2000 rpm.

The cylinder is heavily scored and a small portion of the piston skirt is broken off and I am sure the rings are broken as well.
    Amazingly the crank bearing surface looks good (those are fingerprints as it is virtually flawless) and the pulley assembly that supports the crank end turns smoothly.

Should I:

1. Attempt to rebuild this buying parts (I think I can fix this with a new cylinder and piston/rod assy for about $150) or just buy a whole new unit ($600)?

2. Clean the entire air manifold and hoses out?

3. Clean or replace the air injectors?

4. Install an inline filter (in case of another failure) on the output line to the air manifold?

I have not owned this motor since new so therefore do not know the history but I'm guessing this is a cooling issue probably not oiling issue as the cylinder is scored and the crank bearing is ok. The pee tube at present is not clogged and works well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bad compressor_4.jpg   bad compressor_5.jpg   bad compressor_1.jpg   bad compressor_2.jpg   bad compressor_3.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are a tohatsu dealer and have been sense 1985. The only problem with that we have seen is where the indicator get plugged up. At that point there is no water going through the cooling system for the compressor. Key note make sure that you engine is pissin good water.
    Sam

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    $150 of parts for the compressor, i.e. new cylinder, piston, gaskets and it now runs great! Idles down to 700 rpm no problem. Buying the parts and fixing the air compressor was easy -- highly recommended to save money if you have reusable parts for portions of the compressor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tldi compressor.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did you get your parts from? What year was this motor?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Below is the more detailed thread. Motor is a 2003. If you need digital copies of the service manual send me a PM. Parts were bought various places but now

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Tohatsu/Outboard/parts.html

seems to have the best prices, they didn't carry Tohatsu parts when I did this project.

http://forums.iboats.com/honda-tohat...rt-518592.html