Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will TC-W3 full synthetic hurt my chainsaw?

& no, its not watercooled

I know the old adage that you don't run aircooled oil in a watercooled engine & vice versas but in this case I've got several bottles of full synthetic TC-W3 for my RC Boats but no aircooled stuff. Not really wanting to make the drive to buy the other but will upon your suggestions. Saw is a Poulan pro (yeah right) but its been good to me for a few dozen tanks and surely don't want to mess it up.

Gracias or grassy azz.
    Last edited by Stoker1; 12-19-2011 at 12:35 PM.
    You never know what your faith is, until your faith has been truly tested.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I do it all the time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it will hurt. I have used it in my saws before and even ran it in my old air cooled RM 125. PS I run av gas in my saws, trimmers, etc.

Get this, I have a 582 Rotax that is water cooled that has always had air cooled oil run through it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run old race gas and Klotz thru my weedeater. Have done the same with saws
    Erik Kiser

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are oils for just aircooled, but ran the boat stuff for years with no problems. My dad switched the LawnBoy mowers at the cabin to aircooled syn oil and seemed to extend the time between cleaning out the exhaust ports. Those who have owned LawnBoys will know they tend to plug the exhaust after time.

Dave
    1980 Cougar 19 tunnel,90 2.4L Bridgeport EFI in middle of restoration.
    1988 BAJA Sunsport 186, 96 225 Pro Max
    79 12' Auminum, 95 Merc 9.9
    RIP Stu
    "So many idiots, so few bullets"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The oil for air cooled engines is superior to outboard oil. You should be OK with full synthetic outboard oil but don't run regular TC-W3 in a chainsaw. Your average chainsaw is turning more RPM at a higher temp than just about any outboard.

Quick note: Always use FD approved 2 cycle oil in all your air cooled lawn machines. It's always blue in color. If a customer brings me anything with red oil in it, it's warranty is automatically void.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Action Dave View Post
    The oil for air cooled engines is superior to outboard oil. You should be OK with full synthetic outboard oil but don't run regular TC-W3 in a chainsaw. Your average chainsaw is turning more RPM at a higher temp than just about any outboard.

Quick note: Always use FD approved 2 cycle oil in all your air cooled lawn machines. It's always blue in color. If a customer brings me anything with red oil in it, it's warranty is automatically void.
    My STIHL oil is not blue ??We run RC boats with Zenoah 26 CC engines to 18,000 rpm on everything from Merc Premium plus to Klotz , to Walmart to Amsoil to Honda HP -2 Racing oil , etc with no issues .We are running 8 - 10 oz per gallon though . I have been running the Honda but have run just about everything .
    Last edited by Tom Foley; 12-19-2011 at 06:58 PM.
    " The Fleet of Old Boats "

'73 -14' Orlando Clipper Skiff -Yamaha 25
    93- 18 ' Renegade Nomad Flats boat -Merc 150
    '94 - 21 ' Allison XB - 2003 -Merc 260
    '97 - 19 ' STV Euro - Merc - 260
    '99 Benninton 2375 TOONER - V-6- 2 liter 150 Mariner
    2001 Grady White 263 - Twin Yamaha 250 OX 66

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Over the last 2 decades me, have NEVER ran any 2 stroke "air cooled only", oil, in any, Always TCW. ZERO probs! Weed wacker, chain saws, leaf blower, even my Honda Spree, marina runner, all over 20 years old. Plus some old 70's dirtbikes. And most still have the original spark plug too! Yes, think air cooled oil is red, TCW blue, but like said, 20 years all, and ALL still running fine. The only thing I ever did..(in fact JUST did), was dig into the sealed (EPA) carb screws, do a 1/4 turn out, get rid the "lean mix". THAT, as set, is worse than running heavy mix in, any oil. AND, many forget that little ""EPA, Spark Arrester", small screen, chain saws, etc. Its somewhere in the exhaust port, before the muffler. Pull the muff, and dig it out. They get carbonized up easy..like sticking a banana in a tail pipe.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. I don't expect to burn much more than a gallon over the weekend and will probably pick up some white gas while at it.
    You never know what your faith is, until your faith has been truly tested.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby321 View Post
    Over the last 2 decades me, have NEVER ran any 2 stroke "air cooled only", oil, in any, Always TCW. ZERO probs! Weed wacker, chain saws, leaf blower, even my Honda Spree, marina runner, all over 20 years old. Plus some old 70's dirtbikes. And most still have the original spark plug too! Yes, think air cooled oil is red, TCW blue, but like said, 20 years all, and ALL still running fine. The only thing I ever did..(in fact JUST did), was dig into the sealed (EPA) carb screws, do a 1/4 turn out, get rid the "lean mix". THAT, as set, is worse than running heavy mix in, any oil. AND, many forget that little ""EPA, Spark Arrester", small screen, chain saws, etc. Its somewhere in the exhaust port, before the muffler. Pull the muff, and dig it out. They get carbonized up easy..like sticking a banana in a tail pipe.

You know why you have no issues? Your equipment is 20 years old. The old stuff was jetted so rich you could run anything in them. That's why the older machines seem to last so much longer than new stuff. Newer equipment has been leaned to the balls for EPA regulations. If you use a full synthetic oil, you don't have to mix as heavy a ratio and won't have to worry about carboned up exhaust ports. Also, there are very few places in America where lawn equipment gets used longer and under tougher conditions than south Florida. That weedeater that gets put away for six months up north gets used year-round here.

Tom, you're right. The Stihl oil is no longer blue colored but if you look at the label on the back there should be a FD on it. The 2 stroke lines I carry (Echo Shindaiwa) will not warranty a blown engine if it comes in with red oil. There is a reason the Homelite oil is only $1.95 at Home Depot and the Echo oil is $2.95.

There's been a ton of arguments on here over the best 2 stroke oil to run in your outboard and some people swear by stuff that others wouldn't dare to use. I'm only offering my perspective of owning a lawn and garden repair shop for the past 8+years. I've seen all kinds of weird things people put in their engines. I follow the manufacturer's procedures and recommendations.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, it is technically illegal to remove the adjustment screw plugs on a carburetor. We have special tools to do it and if after adjustment, the engine does not turn in a specified RPM range, we have to replace the carb. If a machine leaves my shop too rich, we can get fined up to 25k by the EPA. I know, it's friggin retarded.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Action Dave View Post
    Also, it is technically illegal to remove the adjustment screw plugs on a carburetor. We have special tools to do it and if after adjustment, the engine does not turn in a specified RPM range, we have to replace the carb. If a machine leaves my shop too rich, we can get fined up to 25k by the EPA. I know, it's friggin retarded.
    Actually, my gas blower is only 5 years old, and it took for ever to warm up, so damn lean. This year, almost had to run it 1/2 choke. So there were now caps on the set in screws, but a tiny star like (way smaller than any Torx drivers I have) deal there for a special tool. Well my special tool was a dremel, cut off wheel, did a slot, less than a 1/4 turn out, runs fine now.

Yep on the EPA retarded idiots, and rules for shops. Dealt with that for 21 years..glad thats over with. They are slightly out of control, on control!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run old race gas and Klotz Technplate too. It works great and smells like the race track.

On the flip side, I accidentally grabbed the super mod Kitty Cat fuel can with methanol/nitromethane and super Technaplate with castor once. Oh boy, it would crack like hell off idle but instantly go lean. I was running it with the choke most of the way on, thinking it was gummed up until the fumes hit me and I realized what was in the tank. It built heat real quick too!
    The Reverend, (Cedar Machine Service on Facebook)
    1989 HST 2.5 260 Merc Offshore
    1991 Vaserette YT 200 Mercury
    1988 Venus XT 200 Yamaha
    1983 Viper II Merc 90
    1977 Viper
    Mini GT tunnel, 25 Merc
    "African Queen" pontoon 25 Merc
    Aluma fishin tub, 20 motors to choose from!

GUESS WHAT?...I gotta fever,...and the only prescription...IS MORE COWBELL!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run 93 octane ethanol free gasoline with 3% synthetic 2-stroke oil for air cooled engines in our Husqvarna and Stihl toys. Air cooled 2-strokes are subject to different conditions than outboard engines, and while you may not kill your chainsaw by running it on synthetic TC-W3 once, there is a reason why outboards and chainsaws call for different oils.
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    I run 93 octane ethanol free gasoline with 3% synthetic 2-stroke oil for air cooled engines in our Husqvarna and Stihl toys. Air cooled 2-strokes are subject to different conditions than outboard engines, and while you may not kill your chainsaw by running it on synthetic TC-W3 once, there is a reason why outboards and chainsaws call for different oils.
    What about my Rotax? It is water cooled and has never had anything but Pennsoil air cooled oil in it... ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast