Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hey, Nam Vets, or those that actually care..looking for a "face", the "Wall"

Hey, I know many care less the Nam Vets, lots of ya too young anyway, buts as Vets day coming, and the 6 hour series History channel starting tomorrow, new Nam old movies, I need to ask any old Nam Vets a favor. We are looking to get a "face", to that "Name" on that "Wall". Seems going "digital..(about time)

Heres a link, to search one "lost", and if ya have any pix, scan, and follow what the link says. We are looking for a "face", to go with that name on the "Wall".

http://www.vvmf.org/pafwan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Wall.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	246188
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nam.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Link my old buddy Steve..rough life, dad a total jerk, Steve really had no family. Born New Years, killed Christmas Eve, in Nam. Same time I was there, just never knew it, as lost touch after grammar school. RIP, Stevie, old friend.

http://www.vvmf.org/thewall/Wall_Id_No=41139

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Robby, I noticed you didn't get much response outta this, first off, Thank You for your service !, I was not in Nam ( Too Young) But I was in Dessert Shield/ Dessert Storm and was a driving force in Operation "Iris Gold" ( Google it I'm sure it will show something) I think we learned a lot as a Country from Nam, one of which is how NOT to treat returning hero's. I have no words for what that must have been like......anyway thought I'd bump this back to the top, again...Thank You for YOUR service !

Chris
    God, Country, and Fast Boats
    SPECIAL BOAT TEAM 12/ HSB'S SOC NSWU-1

Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. And when your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that they weep and pray for more time that they may live there life over in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a Hero going home.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think its a generational thing. Most us Nam Vets, now in the 60's, rocker and recliner now..(not ME!) and the younger have there own war and the US BS to deal with. Like I know very little about the Korean War. No big deal to me. BUT!

Its been a VERY entertaining week on the History channel! Beside the series on Nam,..(Full 6 hours on tonight), been a 2 hour thing on Peter Jennings from 1968. All the assassinations, protests, more. Plus the was a 2 hour on Woodstock. Also shows on what we created, 60's,, and today 70's.
    Landing on the moon, color Tv's size of a fridge, touchtone phones, damn, stuff now obsolete!

And the "war", was on the news every night, some footage, and a daily running body count, both sides. Until the fall of Saigon. And all footage from embedded UPI in with the troops. I see little on the news now, Irag/Afgan.

I look back on all that now, and still proud of what we did, and seems there was always some "rosy future", for us, no matter what happened. Things got done! Moved on.

Seems nowadays....daily crap, just the latest sex scandal, or what Lindsey Lohan did today..sad.........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Another thing that came out of Nam. We have some the best..(way too expensive, but can't do much about that) medical care and procedures today, from the many killed. Gave the new docs a real body to study on. Plus the many wounded, a lot learned. So it was no way.. "all for nothing"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby321 View Post
    Another thing that came out of Nam. We have some the best..(way too expensive, but can't do much about that) medical care and procedures today, from the many killed. Gave the new docs a real body to study on. Plus the many wounded, a lot learned. So it was no way.. "all for nothing"
    Pretty sure the modern trauma center was a direct result of the Vietnam war.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by transomstand View Post
    Pretty sure the modern trauma center was a direct result of the Vietnam war.
    Yep..I'd have to search something up.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One more thing thats in the films. The non "Welcome Home".

I came "back to the world", and found one way different than the one I left. Ended up tossing the garbage any and all uniforms, ribbons/medals...shoved back in mind I was ever there. Only re-surfaced 17 years later. The "Welcome Home Parade", in Chicago, my 36th Birthday too, June 13, 1986. Was watching in at home, recording it too. Old GF calls me.."Jump on the Harley, get me, and lets GO!" Reluctant, went anyway. Thought to be a 2 hour thing, went on 6 hours! Glad I did, meet some old friends, saw the "Moving Wall"....bittersweet day though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Truly a sad thing to remember the coming home part after watching the vidieos. My uncle Jessie Ray Drowley Medal Of Honor ww11 lived here most his married life never got interviewed by our local newspaper while living called after he passed and wanted to do a interview with my aunt.She told them he lived here 40 years plus and you want his story now No Way!!! Thanks for your dedicated service to all the men and women who fought for our Freedom!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robby, thanks to you and all of the Honorable US Veterans who fought that long and difficult war. Many in our country somehow seem to forget the great and sometimes ultimate sacrifices made in the name of Freedom for what is still and hopefully always will be the Greatest Country in the History of the World. God Bless you and all who serve.

John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had several friends that are/were Nam vets. I love and respect them all just as I do all vets!!! All of them were a joy to be around. Crazy at times too!

I use to work with a Cobra pilot. He had some crazy stories to tell!!!

God Bless you guys and Happy Veteran's Day!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stayed up watching Viet Nam in HD on the History Channel last couple of nights,............good stuff................. Thanks for your service.

I was young and bashful back then.
    Today,...I'd just knock on her door,..hand her the crab dope, and say, "Rub summa this on ya booger. I'll be back day after tomorrow".
    -Bristo

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forkin' Crazy View Post
    I have had several friends that are/were Nam vets. I love and respect them all just as I do all vets!!! All of them were a joy to be around. Crazy at times too!

I use to work with a Cobra pilot. He had some crazy stories to tell!!!

God Bless you guys and Happy Veteran's Day!
    We had a lot of respect those the chopper pilots, and the Cobra gunships were something to see at night! Damn near coming straight down, spiraling, rockets and the Miniguns blazing away.

About 3 years ago, a neighbor girl a few houses away, took in her brother, a 1965 Nam Vet, weekly visits to the V/A, hardly could walk, shot down with "schrap in the back". We started BSing, found out he flew choppers, and C-130's. I was about 10 miles from Camp Halloway/airstrip in Plieku. He knew it well. In and out many times. Damn, we would sit in the carport, have some smokes, lotta beer, BS for hours, him feeding my dog .."cookies". His only life was inside watching sports, or outside whittling model ships and airplanes. Had no other friends that I ever saw come over. Died last year in his sleep. Glad I could make his last days on earth a little more "fun". R.I.P. Dave...(we might have left the war decades before, but it never left us)

Name:	Dave 1.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	246428Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dave 2.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	246429

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, we were working in the fuselage of a Baron one day... it was about the time some guy did a flip in a helicopter.... 20 or so years ago? Every one was raving about it... He said, "That wasn't ****, we use to do that and more all the time." Said he use to fly down the rivers and would fly so low he'd chop the antenna off at the bridges with his rotor blades!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forkin' Crazy View Post
    Yea, we were working in the fuselage of a Baron one day... it was about the time some guy did a flip in a helicopter.... 20 or so years ago? Every one was raving about it... He said, "That wasn't ****, we use to do that and more all the time." Said he use to fly down the rivers and would fly so low he'd chop the antenna off at the bridges with his rotor blades!
    Paul, some the stuff I saw them do, was seemly IMPOSSIBLE! Warrent Officers flew them, and most were not much older than me. Same as WW2. Had the "flyboy" training stateside, and in the "heat of a REAL war", like getting shot at, the "natural skills", came into play, and it was a survive situation. Same as the young kids, WW2, tossed in a P-51 Mustang, Corsair, etc. Hard to even explain, some the stuff they did. DAMN, seems they got in that "bird", trusted that it would work..(the mechanics, who, like me Mech, on a Guntruck convoys, KNEW, get it right, as you are sending that whatever, into hell who knows what)...and ya wanted them, to come back.

Pix me, my truck, 69...(and working that "beast", all wheel drive, putting in new rubber "boots", front end U-Joints ? Like taking a "rubber, for yer dick, and getting your whole BODY inside it instead! Lotta blood shed, lotta learning new swear words, but never gave up)

Name:	Nam- Our GunTruck.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	246439Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nam M-60.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	246440
    Last edited by Robby321; 11-11-2011 at 09:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast