Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was devoleped many moon's ago by ( mike wienant )
    It aint top seceret!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Johnson View Post
    Why the rock throwing Mitch?
    No stone throwing here --- You posted the simple merc parts and done ---- so lets here it and i won't need to go into the (need to do ) PAIN IN ASS STUFF.
    MITCH HARDEE 803-974-0350 --- 95 CUSTOM BASS RR STV/300drag-- 2004 STV RR/300drag---14ft fastcraft/12in/ssm--F.I. 3cyl -whittled from 300-drag --2008 FTPB STV RR( POC FACTORY BUYBACK) IRATATE A LIBERail --missspell som'um--SPONSORS --THOROUGHBREDS INC.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by byrdsperformance@tds.net View Post
    This was devoleped many moon's ago by ( mike wienant )
    It aint top seceret!!!
    Even though I didn't know this in(1996 when I built mine -----I started on carbs and then went to fuel injection and addressed a lot of negative issues which are time consuming and costly to do --but critical to get the most out of it .
    MITCH HARDEE 803-974-0350 --- 95 CUSTOM BASS RR STV/300drag-- 2004 STV RR/300drag---14ft fastcraft/12in/ssm--F.I. 3cyl -whittled from 300-drag --2008 FTPB STV RR( POC FACTORY BUYBACK) IRATATE A LIBERail --missspell som'um--SPONSORS --THOROUGHBREDS INC.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess is either all the port or starboard cyls. and one switch box!
    Would make it easier to accomplish and run smoother! But ya still have
    an oversize crank and alot of dead weight!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsbiship View Post
    My guess is either all the port or starboard cyls. and one switch box!
    Would make it easier to accomplish and run smoother! But ya still have
    an oversize crank and alot of dead weight!
    (sorta)it works better if these problems are addressed .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. HARDEE View Post

I saw one of Mike Wienandt's old 3 banger V-6's at his shop a year or two ago that was tucked away in the archives. Interesting to say the least...he said it ran strong back in the day.
    Last edited by GamblerSS; 10-28-2011 at 12:16 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mike has a 2.4 and a 2.5 there for sale right now(1/2), one is a champion motor. He said the 2.5 needs a little tlc and the 2.4 is bolt on ready. I do not know the hard facts of building these engines, but what I mean is that the parts and the technoledgy of building a strong mercury are out there. It is more than pulling 3 pistons out and go racing, but a long shot. And depending on what lower you run will dictate what bank you run (I think) 1:1 quicky LH is what some ran, so that needs left hand flywheels and starters ect.... I have aways herd about Mitch's one, they say it is awsome, he even sent me a picture, very nice. Mitch I took it wrong, sorry, hope you are doing well
    11-20 -08 1980 14' Allison
    2018 Carbon Fiber 15' Allison
    homemade 15" 90 Yamaha
    nice and quick 7900 rpm
    Happiest driver on the board. Chris Carlson reeds are the way to go. CCM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQyBn...er_profilepage

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Johnson View Post
    Mike has a 2.4 and a 2.5 there for sale right now(1/2), one is a champion motor. He said the 2.5 needs a little tlc and the 2.4 is bolt on ready. I do not know the hard facts of building these engines, but what I mean is that the parts and the technoledgy of building a strong mercury are out there. It is more than pulling 3 pistons out and go racing, but a long shot. And depending on what lower you run will dictate what bank you run (I think) 1:1 quicky LH is what some ran, so that needs left hand flywheels and starters ect.... I have aways herd about Mitch's one, they say it is awsome, he even sent me a picture, very nice. Mitch I took it wrong, sorry, hope you are doing well
    thats is correct info untill you got to the point where you started thinking .lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the engines all ran clockwise and the lower ran counterclockwise because the drive gear was in back of the pinion instead of the front.
    The Reverend, (Cedar Machine Service on Facebook)
    1989 HST 2.5 260 Merc Offshore
    1991 Vaserette YT 200 Mercury
    1988 Venus XT 200 Yamaha
    1983 Viper II Merc 90
    1977 Viper
    Mini GT tunnel, 25 Merc
    "African Queen" pontoon 25 Merc
    Aluma fishin tub, 20 motors to choose from!

GUESS WHAT?...I gotta fever,...and the only prescription...IS MORE COWBELL!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rev.ronnie View Post
    I thought the engines all ran clockwise and the lower ran counterclockwise because the drive gear was in back of the pinion instead of the front.
    That is correct for a single pinion ssm lower.motor turns right and prop turns left . the gears in my single pinion are left spiriel (may be strait in some --dont know --if so could turn ether direction if so )---so changing engine direction could be done but angle of (spiral ) gears will be weak turning opposite of what there as cut for . Engine can be ran clockwise or counterclock with dual pinoion . will have to set up lower unit tolorances ( or it will not last very long )and water pump for what direction (left or right ) engine doesn't care which way it turns . starter and flywheel center is only thing different on motor for left verses right .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So how did you get the engine balanced and running smooth? seems to me if it was missing 3 rods and pistons, it would shake to death.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Removing same amount of wt. -- rod and piston assembly every 120 dgrees leaves it balance basically the same other than the end throw wts . Doesn't seem effect it much at standard rpms . It will run like this . Reciporcating wt has been cut aprox. 40 % . Crank end throw balance tweeking for difference in reciprocating wt. helps at high rpm . Machining unused parts of block and cyl. is a wt savings (wt of 3 pistons ,rods and bearings ,head and 50%of cyl's sleaves and block from unused side and sealing up at rod slots. THIS IS THE BASICS , Due to the time and exspence of a lot of other tweeks and untilizing what is left that is not being used anymore to enhance the cylinders I used I am not going into --my typing skills not that good . Like all modded eqipment it is amazing what can be done with the proper machining ,exspence , thought and time. ---I will say it is one of the most rewarding and fun projects i have done considering how much time and effort it took to really fine tune it . will post some pics of rig when i get it back together . been in mothballs since 2004. cheers Mitch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2