Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 85vking View Post
    Great! That's the kind of insight I need..personal experience. I totally know the feeling of cranking up the trim! When that bow lifts and feels like it's taking off..time to pull my foot out of the gas! BUt seriously..I already have a planing problem with my 24 chopper. It takes up to 6-8 secs to get up. It tachs upwards of 6500 (sometimes more). The cleaver I have is a 22 I think. Do you suppose there's a nice middle of the road prop to plane and get speed? I do have kids that like to tube and wakeboard and although the boat will pull them, anyone over about 150 gets tough. Maybe I should consider the "power prop" for the kids and the "speed prop" for all out running. Given the ideal speed prop, max speed in the neighborhood of?

You may want to try a Hoss prop,better hole shot than a chopper and handles better too.28-30p I would think,prob get you to 90mph. Contact Tim at Hoss propeller,if you have money,or look for a used one,They have some awsome new 4 blade props that launch well.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfmarine...I see 4 blades all the time. I've never talked to anyone using them in a performance application but do I understand that they can holeshot AND give top end? That would be perfect. I always thought you could have one or the other but had to decide which was more important. I appreciate the input and I'll start looking into Hoss's.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know its apples to oranges with my relatively heavy hull, but I have a 3 blade and a 4 blade both with the same pitch and the 4 gives up maybe 1 mph up top, planes off quicker, and will hold the plane at a much lower speed.
    I was going so slow I almost crashed. - JamesGang

1978 24 Superboat - 250 EFI
    Sold: 1991 Starliner - 250 EFI Merc 3.0

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started out with a '81 V-King and a GT-150 Johnson swinging a 13.25" 25 pitch 4 blade shooter over the hub which would rip the boat out of the water, unbelievable holeshot. Cooked the motor and stepped up to a 2.4 bridgeport EFI. Tried everything from choppers, cleavers, drag props and ET style props. best I found was a 28 yahama prop bought right off the shelf of the dealer. Also a 29 Spinelli was very good.

'79 ventura- gettin thrown together with blood, sweat, and empty beer cans.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Yamaha prop? Really? How fast did it go with the 2.4 cause I know mine can't be near it's limits at 70. My 24 chopper is slow out of the hole but has top end. I tried a cleaver and altho it does pull out a little better I don't seem to get the same top end. I liked the fact the cleaver didn't pull my bow up as high at the same trim angle. The chopper makes the boat really squirrely!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think my best number was 91 on GPS and yes i can back that up. I was also running 6 inches of setback with the propshaft roughly 3/4 of an inch above the pad. I didn't like how the cleaver made the boat feel.that boat was alot of fun tho

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 85vking View Post
    Perfmarine...I see 4 blades all the time. I've never talked to anyone using them in a performance application but do I understand that they can holeshot AND give top end? That would be perfect. I always thought you could have one or the other but had to decide which was more important. I appreciate the input and I'll start looking into Hoss's.
    I put one on a bullet bass boat w/260 merc,it improved hole shot and top end was still all there. It was a 4 blade hoss hiperdrive,customer was happy too. It did what Dave Bostic said it would RIP.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is some pictures of it with the new motor.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20111016_112951.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	244898Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20111016_113136.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	244899
    Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I can see how much fun it is to find the right wheel for this setup. Whoever said gas money would start adding up is right!

I should have a 28" chop prop to play with this weekend, and we'll see what that does.

Thanks, and keep dry everyone!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is it a bigear or smallear chopper that you are getting? and that boat and motor are sweet lookin, i wonder how a 28 trophy runs...
    Last edited by 200VEGAS; 10-19-2011 at 06:49 PM.
    90 Vegas 89 200 78mph

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mazco RE-4 in 28 will make her scream and fly.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On hold looking for a solution to the FAT shaft conundrum.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LASER....I have the exact same boat, paint and all, w/ 2.4 carbed. My 24 chopper doesn't get me anything over 70 and it's got lots of bow lift. The blow over factor is real! I am looking to try a 28 next....a Mazco or maybe a cleaver. I just know this boat should cruise right on up to 80+. I might not be brave enough to go 90! I'm too old for that now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too bad you guys are so far away. I could hook ya up.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello 85v, I know exactly what you mean about the bow lift with the 24" big ear. What Horsepower is that 2.4 you are running, and which lower do you have?

I like running VERY flat! My boat likes flat much better and performs much more predictably.

Just so you know, the best prop I found so far is the 28" small ear chopper, but I have not tested it with the new motor.
    It did not have the crazy bow lift characteristics that the big ear had.
    We sent it to the prop shop because it had a few bite marks on it, and it came back beautifully polished. However, it turns out that they could not modify the hub for the FAT shaft, so I am still looking for countermeasures.
    I considered the 28" four blade drag prop that is on the buy and sell forum, but I have no experience with the four blade design at all, and heard that the trade-off is a better hole shot and mid range punch with a slight loss on the top end.
    I also heard that the motor had better have a huge amount of power to turn it, so I decided to stick to the three blades for now...
    The Fury bass prop is almost too neck-snapping, especially when decelerating. It is priced at around $700, and I am not sure that includes the $160 adapter. I still think a chopper prop would be a better design for my application.

I am still trying to countermeasure the torquemaster FAT shaft, because my boat goes zero miles per hour without a prop! So you can see my conundrum with the prop situation.
    Last edited by Laser88; 10-22-2011 at 12:20 PM. Reason: shortened

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh Laser....I don't have any experience with 4 blades either. I can see how an extra blade would give extra bite but there's also the power requirements that I don't know I have. Yeh, it's over 200 hp but how much? I don't know what these 2.4 race motors were rated for out of the box and since the last owner rebuilt it, it could be up more. It supposedly had the heads shaved and has to run premium. It might have had the reeds done. It does have the stacks. Internally I don't know anything more. It has the CLE foot , so it already has the LWP and cone built in. It runs really cool. Maybe 138* and water pressure stays up at 25 or more at top end. ( unless I lift it too high!) " Bob's hydraulic jack plate too. Like most other applications, as I drop pitch I get more holeshot and top end speed falls off. My shaft is the smaller 1"/15 spline. I just hate putting hundreds of dollars to test props!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast