Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bringing life back to an '85 V-King, need prop suggestions

Hello there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06929.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	244066Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3954.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	244065Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4086.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	244068
    Just finished replacing the wood in my boat. It is a pleasure boat with full interior and gages.

Am re-powering with a newly rebuilt 200 pro-max. It has a torquemaster lower unit, and the fat shaft. There are provisions for some kind of early stage LWP channels that mercury designed to be bolted on to sides of the lower, and the skeg has an off-set bend molded in to counteract pulling force.

I have a 24 large ear, 28 in-line, and a 28 worked chopper shown in order above. None of these were designed to fit the fat shaft.

With the previous motor (a stock 150 shown in the picture above, the 24 would push the hull to 66 mph at 5800 rmp, the 28 would go 70 mph at 5700 rmp, and the 28 worked prop was about the same). The previous setup did not have a jackplate, and was running deep. It did not handle very well at speed...

I now have a 4" manual jackplate, transom bolt braces, hotfoot, solid mounts, safety vest, lanyard kill switch, etc...

Should any of my props be modified to fit the fat shaft?

Ideally what kind of propeller should I be using for this rig?

We have a 25" Fury available to use temporarily to break in the motor and we should have some numbers from it in a week or two.

Thanks to anyone willing to share some helpful hints.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the board.

First thing to know, is that I am never wrong, and I know everything
    So don't listen to anybody else

With a 200 Promax, that hull is capable of well over 90 mph, so the first order of business is to add a nose cone to the lower unit, with a low water pickup. The side covers will be inadequate to get you enough water at the height you'll need to make that boat run well at high speed. You'll want the propshaft even with pad or higher.

The small shaft props are a problem. They can be modified, but it's expensive, and they can never be switched back, so it makes them less marketable. I would prefer to see you sell them, and buy the newer style with removable hub.

As far as style, there are many to choose from, but it's hard to go wrong with a 28 Chopper. I always recommend you try as many you can get your hands on, to see what you like, and the boat likes. We all have a different idea of what feels "right". Attending Scream and Fly gatherings is an ideal place to do this, there are always props for sale, and people willing to let you try some. A word of caution here, it is widely accepted, when trying someone's prop, you bend it, you own it, so it's good to establish a value first.

You've had a taste of speed at 70 mph, moving toward 90 is a whole other ballgame. Be very careful during the learning process, this sport is a blast, but it can cause you to have a bad day in a split second. Never forget to respect the boat, it doesn't care how much skill you think you have. Humble drivers live longer.

That should get you started. If you decide to sell your props, I'll give you a hundred bucks for all of them, because along with being a know it all, I'm a really nice guy too

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! along with the advice stated above, I would advise solid motor mounts if you don't already have them, and make sure your dual cable steering has the slack adjusted out of it. Nice boat!

Steve

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i hade the same boat i had a 28 raker with a 175 evenrude ran good with a 6 inch jack plate
    Adrenaline junkie for life

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    28 or 30p lightning E.T. Gives good handling and best performance on mine. 28p chopper is next favorite. A 27p tempest will be good when loaded with people and cooler. Nice boat... Big speed diff between the 150 and 200 motors on a V-King.....

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the warm and very humorous welcome to the site! I really appreciate the free advice, well perhaps with the exception of the very kind offer for my propellers! I suppose that offer would include the boat, new motor, and trailer! Heck, why not add my wife and hunting dog to the mix?

Seriously 70 mph was harry on the water, and I have a great deal of respect for safety. The motor has solid mounts and I also thought about the nose cone and LWP. I would like to break-in the motor first this fall if possible. Over the winter, I could send the lower out for modification. I have a feeling dialing in this rig is going to take some time...

I have not heard the motor run, but was told it sounds awesome!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we will need pictures of wife and hunting dog to make offers LOL!

Steve

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laser,..you have the same problem I do except my 2.4 runs the CLE case so I can use the 1"x 15 spine props. In fact, I might be interested in your 28p chopper. My 24p is fast and I have pulled 75mph with it but I think it can do more. Xstream..I see you and I live nearby. (ORLANDO) For the sake of Laser and myself, is a cleaver prop an absolute no-go for this hull? I have one I can try and would if it wasn't going to rain all weekend! The vking does have incredible lift with the trim and chopper used...almost to blow over. What do you think?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cleaver will keep the boat on the pad like it is glued to it. With a 200 EFI merc, I ran a 28 cleaver and it hit the limiter at 6500. A 30p cleaver ran rite up to 6200 but took forever to plane out. 28p ET is still my favorite. Don't get too happy with the trim button. Get the motor level and leave it there. If you need to trim it up past level to get the highest speed you need some setback.

Rebuild thread:
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great! That's the kind of insight I need..personal experience. I totally know the feeling of cranking up the trim! When that bow lifts and feels like it's taking off..time to pull my foot out of the gas! BUt seriously..I already have a planing problem with my 24 chopper. It takes up to 6-8 secs to get up. It tachs upwards of 6500 (sometimes more). The cleaver I have is a 22 I think. Do you suppose there's a nice middle of the road prop to plane and get speed? I do have kids that like to tube and wakeboard and although the boat will pull them, anyone over about 150 gets tough. Maybe I should consider the "power prop" for the kids and the "speed prop" for all out running. Given the ideal speed prop, max speed in the neighborhood of?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello there. Thanks for chiming in (pun intended)

Thanks to Ben and Ken at Pro-Outboard in Lake Wylie, SC for rigging my boat. Ben is an amazing talent, and I highly recommend his work. The first setup was three inches below the pad and Ben reported last night that chine walking was real issue. Thanks to your advice, he raised the motor two inches, and it made a huge difference. Water pressure was not affected (thankfully).

Today I got my boat back, and I have some numbers. It took all day, but I finished breaking in the motor. With the 25p bass boat prop (fury) it ran 58 mph at 4500 rpm all day. Then I floored it one time, and got 80 mph on the gps at 6400 rpm. Dialing the trim was the key, and it did not like too much trim. It liked a gradual airing out rather than a violent romp from 30mph to 70 mph.

The boat behaved very nicely, and chine walk was not an issue unless the trim was too high. The fury prop grabbed like eagle talons, and the hole shot was neck snapping. Flooring it at 4000rpm was also neck snapping. In fact, lifting my foot off the throttle cause such a rapid deceleration that I almost have left some teeth marks on the steering wheel.

The fury was totally different than those choppers, and I kind of like how stable and well behaved it was. This setup is almost ideal for taking my wife out for an afternoon...

Thanks for your comments and input!

P.S. I will make a decision about what to do with the propellers in a week or so and let you guys know. As for my dog and wife, I already decided to hang on to them...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Everyone on here is always looking for their "next" prop. Playing with props on these boats is half the fun.... Make shure you have a good grip on the wheel when you hit the mid 80s. You may experience blowout......Or maybe not..... Only one way to find out.

Rebuild thread:
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6400x25x80gps=14% slip wonder what your gear ratio is? im guessin 1.62. and welcome to the best site on the planet. your boat really has a nice color scheme.
    90 Vegas 89 200 78mph

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello ScreamandFly. This is a cool site, and thanks for the compliment. The lower was stamped with 1.87 and I will take your word on the slippage since I have little knowledge of this.

Perhaps the best thing to do is to take it slow and enjoy the ride while I get a lot more seat time. Over the winter I can lean how to further reduce the chances of blowout.

Ben did a great job with the steering and somehow took the slack out (using some old-school racers trick)...

I will see if I can find a new prop to experiment with.

Thanks for the nice welcome!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contact Motorheadbishop on here he has a super fast vking he races with he can help you alot of props and is got his setup spot on all these guys are the best of the best giving you advice listen to them they will have u running big numbers in no time.chime walk is not hard to over come it takes seat time,seat time,and lots of gas money it will become second nature to you little bump on the wheel before it happens and counter steer nothing to it good luck!! Most of all a life vest kill switch and a chase boat is a must make baby steps 5mph at a time then faster and faster then spends some money on a new motor cause that one will be boring lol stay safe
    90 xr 2002

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast