Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which motor to buy ?

Guys I have to repower my 21 skater wanted to put my 3l on the back but its not allowed in the class I race in . So that leaves me with asking questions . I am trying to find out what motor tends to be the most user friendly . I have used an old 2.4 all this time an never worried about it . Now I would like to go faster but still have the reliablilty I had I am looking for a motor which is 2.5 . What are my options ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Either a 260 or a 280 I would think IF you have to stay 2.5 and you are looking at racing !
    God, Country, and Fast Boats
    SPECIAL BOAT TEAM 12/ HSB'S SOC NSWU-1

Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. And when your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that they weep and pray for more time that they may live there life over in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a Hero going home.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by specboatops View Post
    Either a 260 or a 280 I would think IF you have to stay 2.5 and you are looking at racing !
    Within said parameters, there's no better answer available...
    Kevin Kiser

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys for the info I understand those options but I just wanted to find something different . My problem is simple a 260 or a 280 has to be redone after so many hours of running . The operational cost would be much greater then my old motor . I need to find something that can be used for pleasure and race and still be economical .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    200 efi mercury.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Keys Boy;2227479]200 efi mercury.[/QUOTE <<< Great motors!!!! <GREAT html MOTORS!!<>
    Happily Misunderstood....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ofna2005 View Post
    Thanks guys for the info I understand those options but I just wanted to find something different . My problem is simple a 260 or a 280 has to be redone after so many hours of running . The operational cost would be much greater then my old motor . I need to find something that can be used for pleasure and race and still be economical .
    You can't have both a race boat and pleasure boat.. Just put a 300XS on it and enjoy more speed at 1/3 the fuel cost and take up kayak racing!
    Happily Misunderstood....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fastest your boat is gonna go and still be a 2.5 engine and get more than 150 hours on a re-ring is to get a 225 ProMax and put the bolt-on upgrades on it... Brucato intake, reeds, Brucato electonics, little compression will get you a very well running engine that can still go hundreds of hours before internal servicing...
    Kevin Kiser

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Stryker View Post
    The fastest your boat is gonna go and still be a 2.5 engine and get more than 150 hours on a re-ring is to get a 225 ProMax and put the bolt-on upgrades on it... Brucato intake, reeds, Brucato electonics, little compression will get you a very well running engine that can still go hundreds of hours before internal servicing...
    I agree, the 225 Pro Max is the only 2.5 that fits that bill. Good luck to ya.

Rick
    "Conklin Racing" M/E 0494
    Sponsers,Conklin Racing, Speed-N-Sport Marine

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how about a 200xs 2.5 they are racing them overseas strong and fast a promax is good to

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also interate as Ted says or Michael. The 225promax thats for sale right now would have better torque and hole shot than a 260 for the larger craft like your Skater. This one forsale you would have a prety hard to beat combo. Only problem it would cost you around $14000.00 to build a motor like this from scratch. Thats what B&W quoted in there artical it cost to make this maxed out 225. http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...rhead-for-sale Im very very surprised this motor never sold the first 10 min it was listed. Its the cream of the crop build. If I had the money right now there is no better motor I can emagine to have for my boat. I dont think people relize what this motor really is who are looking. It would take very stout done up 260 to beat this build. OR a new 200XS with mods. But a new Gen2 200XS wouldnt hold a candel to this 225 in the performance dept stock. But a 200XS would have very good manners and have decent performance for a 240ish hp 200. This 225 has WAY more than that and is also steel bore for hundreds of hours run time. On my profile page i saved the links to the B&W artical so I knew what I wanted to do to my motor. Then I see its for sale!! Im going nuts right now trying to find a way to afford it without hurting the family!!!! Hears a link to the build were it also says they have 14 grand into this motor. http://www.bwbmag.com/output.cfm?id=...&sectionid=308 the finish cost http://bwbmag.com/output.cfm?id=1650493&sectionid=307
    Last edited by whipper; 09-29-2011 at 02:09 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey thanks guys I was thinking the same thing . Anybody got any experience wit the 225promax ? Are there any pro's or cons with the 225 and who sells the bolt on upgrades for these motors?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    350 hours on my GEN2 200xs and I'm not heading out to the garage to do a leakdown test. With all merc has learned building racing 2.5's over the years, a DFI system/rotating assembly good for 8000 rpm great fuel economy with unmatched running quality across the entire rpm range, it,s a pretty hard to beat combination that PERFORMS right out of the box, no mods required.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    300xs is the only motor that will give you nice top end and sip fuel. The stock 225 promax would be great if you want to go fishing----
    Previously Enjoyed

1988 Voodoo 70 Yamaha
    1981 V-King 200xs ss
    1992 Comp Voodoo 70c Yamaha ss
    1995 Critchfield 650xs ss
    1989 Summerford SRV 280 ros
    1973 Glasstec Tunnel 150
    1979 Vector 260 offshore
    1996 Mirage 260

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the gen2 200xs is built ground up for racing,it will be fast and efficient with manners even grandpa would love