User Tag List

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that some of the pics didn't quite post, but the ones that I saw looked pretty good.
    Drive it like you stole it!

1991 Allison GSE 1998 225 ProMax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bloody computers, lucky I don't have a gun handy.

Ok problem sorted, other photo's reinstated, thanks hemi.

It looks like the K Planes land in NZ on Monday so I hope to have them to hand the following week. Tomorrow I will be in Auckland attending a conference. On the Monday before heading home I will be looking at another V8 and some spares. The engine is Johnson V8 4.0 litre, 60 hours and modded to 400hp. It comes with both a 20inch and 25inch offshore mids and considerable spares. I will keep you posted.
    Wellcraft Nova 230 XL, 300hp Johnson.
    Seahawk 45 Sport Fisher, twin 306hp Volvo.
    Steadcraft 28, Yanmar 300hp. Sold.
    Markline 800, Volvo 300hp. Sold.
    Haines Hunter V19, Volvo 170. Sold.
    16ft 6in Figlass Sidewinder, 140 Suzuki. Sold.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice work SJ
    Thanks for the pics.
    Formula 260ss 496HO

Bender Clan Member

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoking Joe View Post
    OK, I gotta ask/hijack a little. I hope you don't mind. Your pictures help visualize my question.
    I have a Stainless Marine 30" single engine bracket on a 20' Wellcraft. It is mounted to look similar to the one Smokin Joe has so artfully constructed. I have changed engines to a heavier model that I like but my at rest trim is definitely got the stern buried in the water. I believe it is possible to construct something that would go underneath the bracket and up the sides of the bracket to increase my bouyancy.
    Specifically, how far away from the keel would I need to keep the additional piece to still have it out of the water on plane (so as not to have any more wetted surface while on plane and not have any other bad characteristics) SJ's bracket as constructed appears to be 4" or so up from the keel then it angles up from there to where the motor bolts on. I have a reference point where I know the water to be running across the lower unit on my rig. From there to the trailing edge of the bracket is approx 8" higher up. If I keep it 1" above the bottom at the transom and 2" above the water at 30" back,(on plane) would the water just keep rushing underneath or would it have a tendency to ride up the bracket? Plow the nose, slow me down? Following sea bow steer? Anything would be most appreciated. Yes, I will start my own thread.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner View Post
    OK, I gotta ask/hijack a little. I hope you don't mind. Your pictures help visualize my question.
    I have a Stainless Marine 30" single engine bracket on a 20' Wellcraft. It is mounted to look similar to the one Smokin Joe has so artfully constructed. I have changed engines to a heavier model that I like but my at rest trim is definitely got the stern buried in the water. I believe it is possible to construct something that would go underneath the bracket and up the sides of the bracket to increase my bouyancy.
    Specifically, how far away from the keel would I need to keep the additional piece to still have it out of the water on plane (so as not to have any more wetted surface while on plane and not have any other bad characteristics) SJ's bracket as constructed appears to be 4" or so up from the keel then it angles up from there to where the motor bolts on. I have a reference point where I know the water to be running across the lower unit on my rig. From there to the trailing edge of the bracket is approx 8" higher up. If I keep it 1" above the bottom at the transom and 2" above the water at 30" back,(on plane) would the water just keep rushing underneath or would it have a tendency to ride up the bracket? Plow the nose, slow me down? Following sea bow steer? Anything would be most appreciated. Yes, I will start my own thread.
    Some suggestions. PM me and include some photo's. I am about to leave home now, not back till Monday night. Alternatively start your own thread, I am happy to contribute.

Regards,

SJ.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SJ...I just saw your updated pics....WOW!!! Looking good!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe looking good and when is the first sea trial or shake down ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFSHORE GINGER View Post
    Joe looking good and when is the first sea trial or shake down ?
    Thanks OG, sea trial, some way off, I looked at another engine while I was away, still might get it when the money is a little more realistic. He told me it had a 25 inch Offshore mid but it was the same as the one I already have. So the plan is to remove my 20inch mid, get the gearbox sorted and modded to 25inch. The 25inch mid I have will be removed, acid stripped and then powder coated.

Getting back to the boat, I plan to set up the recess behind the rear seat so it will contain my full set of canopies when not in use. Also my K Planes should be here soon so I will look to adding in a little strength into the transom corners for mounting the planes and look to where I will mount both pumps for the planes and the pump for the Jack Plate.

The photo below is how I plan to have the rear seat area of my finished boat set up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nova 230 with short transom return.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	254568

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    looks good buddy.........................
    TRANSPORT SERVICE...UP TO 33 FEET....YOUR TRAILER OR MINE... FULLY INSURED...............
    DOT & CDL COMPLIANT $500,000.00 CARGO & 1 MILLION LIABILITY

LIVE LIFE ON THE EDGE,LESS CROWED BETTER VIEW
    ...............2022 3500 HD SILVERADO DUALLY 6.6 TURBO. 8 FT BED...LETS PULL IT.................

http://www.frankmoletransport.com/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner View Post

Properly designed the pod will only have a positive effect at rest and a diminishing effect as the boat transitions between displacement speed and planing speed. A good way to look at things is to be looking over the transom of your boat as someone else accelerates your boat away from standing. Take some photo's and also take photo's side on of the boat as it sits at rest and then as it accelerates away.

I purchased a Bob's Marine Extreme Jack Plate for my boat with the minimum set back possible. When I had worked out what overall setback I would need that setback less the setback already in the Jack Plate becomes the aft pod measurement. For example 20 inches of total setback less 6 inches already in the Jack Plate means the pod will extend aft 14 inches.

As suggested I would recommend you start a thread in this section and include a number of photo's of your existing setup, existing speed, prop etc and what increase in HP and engine weight with the new engine. There is a wealth of information available from others on S&F, all good people.

SJ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started my own thread labeled "Flotation". Thanks Smokin Joe. I have been at transom staring into the water since I was a kid.. I just didn't have the pictures to pust up, sorry about the derail. I love my V-20 and really love the versatility of my bracket. Had I known in advance I was going to put 525 lbs of motor on the boat I would have gone with less setback. The lever action the motor has on the stern at 30" back is simply not ideal. If the seating arrangement was like the picture you posted I wouldn't be concerned. The transom is far from the danger zone, just substantially lower than with the lighter motor.
    Ironically, when going from the 250 EFI motor to the 250XS , I lost 4mph. Same prop/gearcase/motor height. No speed demon but it goes 60 when rung out light. Turning a 24P Tempest to 5800 to 5900 (limiter) with a ton of propslip.(trimmed to the moon). What speeds do you think you will see on your Nova? Picture for reference.
    .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suwannee Strolling2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	254595
    Last edited by ridgerunner; 04-17-2012 at 06:56 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ridgerunner my goal speed is 60+mph. I am surprised with that much setback that you have to trim your engine "to the moon" to get your best speed. Idea of setback is so that you get best setup/speed with neutral trim.

Ok things have progressed. Internally the seating is well underway, seat mounts made and glassed to longitudinals, I have received my K Planes which are too big. They were supposed to be 280S which have a length of 191/4 inches. The ones received are 30 inches so I guess I will have to cut them down.

Tuesday I am taking the boat with engine into a local outboard mechanic to get the engine running, do a compression test and check overall condition of the engine. On my return I may well float it in the lake to confirm bouyancy at rest. I will take new photo's showing progress to date and if floated I will include a photo of it in the water.

Tomorrow I hope to start on the back of the seat which will be curved at both ends so a bit of work to get a nice radius.

Next time photo's.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool! Getting closer to completion!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't mind could you take a few extra pictures making your back seat. I need to make one for my boat this year as well and would like to add the wrap around curve as well but not quite sure I have it figured out yet.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WIPolaris View Post
    If you don't mind could you take a few extra pictures making your back seat. I need to make one for my boat this year as well and would like to add the wrap around curve as well but not quite sure I have it figured out yet.

Yeah mate no worries. I plan to have the rear seat in three sections, the two outside sections with the curves will be fixed with the central section hinged to lift up. The two outside sections will have the two Wellcraft hatches fitted to the front. Subscribe to this thread and we will get to it soon.

SJ

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast