Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    22
    Blog Entries
    1

    What Is A Elephant Ear Prop?

    Can anyone tell me what a elephant ear prop is, I had a old school racer tell me I needed a Hoss 28P Elephant ear prop for my Viper, I know what a chopper and cleaver are. Are they called something else now, he raced in the 80's. Also what dose ET mean on a prop? I see that on some props that a for sale. thanks

  2. #2
    Cary made them they have a larger ear than most props.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    peterborough
    Posts
    1,292
    Quote Originally Posted by djlinkdog View Post
    Can anyone tell me what a elephant ear prop is, I had a old school racer tell me I needed a Hoss 28P Elephant ear prop for my Viper, I know what a chopper and cleaver are. Are they called something else now, he raced in the 80's. Also what dose ET mean on a prop? I see that on some props that a for sale. thanks
    I have seen over hub [very small hub] with [2] very large thin blades stainless referred by that term thanks.
    free spirit / ONTARIO, CANADA.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by djlinkdog View Post
    Can anyone tell me what a elephant ear prop is, I had a old school racer tell me I needed a Hoss 28P Elephant ear prop for my Viper, I know what a chopper and cleaver are. Are they called something else now, he raced in the 80's. Also what dose ET mean on a prop? I see that on some props that a for sale. thanks
    Our Hoss Triton 1 series props are also called elephant ear props because of the shape of the blade. Mercury also made a racing prop in the early 70's that was referred to as an elephant ear for the same reason. It was very thin & designed for the in-line six 1500 motor and would break when put on the v-6 motors.

    I use to know what ET meant but........ I must be getting older....... it escapes me at the moment?
    The ET is made by Mercury and tends to be a good running prop.
    Thanks,
    Tim Bostic

    Hoss Marine Propellers
    www.hossprops.com
    918-479-5167 (shop)




    Pugh Hydro w/260 Merc - 12" mid
    1987 XB2002 Allison w/2.4 EFI Merc - 15" mid
    1985 XR2002 Allison w/2.4 EFI Merc - 12" mid (Restoration Project)
    "New" - 1987 XTB21 Allison (Refurbished at the Factory!!!!) w/'99-225 ProMax Merc

    Top Speed Blog - http://www.screamandfly.com/blog.php...OSS-quot-Style

  5. #5
    Elapsed Time????
    Allison XB2002 Comp Pro / 2.6L Yamaha 200 VMAX TRP

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVMAX View Post
    Elapsed Time????
    Thanks,
    Tim Bostic

    Hoss Marine Propellers
    www.hossprops.com
    918-479-5167 (shop)




    Pugh Hydro w/260 Merc - 12" mid
    1987 XB2002 Allison w/2.4 EFI Merc - 15" mid
    1985 XR2002 Allison w/2.4 EFI Merc - 12" mid (Restoration Project)
    "New" - 1987 XTB21 Allison (Refurbished at the Factory!!!!) w/'99-225 ProMax Merc

    Top Speed Blog - http://www.screamandfly.com/blog.php...OSS-quot-Style

  7. #7
    Look in a mid to late 60's merc catalog they were 2 blade hp props made by merc had through hub exhaust would surface good but had two problems that I remember steering torque and would twist off the older 1100 merc propshafts if you jumped a large wave and let the engine rev too high.
    my2
    jon b

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    peterborough
    Posts
    1,292
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVMAX View Post
    Elapsed Time????
    [brain fart]?
    free spirit / ONTARIO, CANADA.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    22
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc Man View Post
    Our Hoss Triton 1 series props are also called elephant ear props because of the shape of the blade. Mercury also made a racing prop in the early 70's that was referred to as an elephant ear for the same reason. It was very thin & designed for the in-line six 1500 motor and would break when put on the v-6 motors.

    I use to know what ET meant but........ I must be getting older....... it escapes me at the moment?
    The ET is made by Mercury and tends to be a good running prop.
    Right before you posted this I found out from that old school racer that it a elephant eared prop was a "Hoss Triton1" I will get one next summer, I could not find one in time. I picked up a offshore cut 28P from SDS custom props, He only the best to say about you guys at Hoss. Thanks for the info

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    North Branch & Pine City, Mn.
    Posts
    2,765
    The ET prop is kind of a hybrid between a cleaver and a chopper. It is meant for hard acceleration (quicker elapsed time) from my understanding, and has less bow lift than the R/E chopper. They work well on boats with lots of natural bow-lift.
    The Reverend, (Cedar Machine Service on Facebook)
    1989 HST 2.5 260 Merc Offshore
    1991 Vaserette YT 200 Mercury
    1988 Venus XT 200 Yamaha
    1983 Viper II Merc 90
    1977 Viper
    Mini GT tunnel, 25 Merc
    "African Queen" pontoon 25 Merc
    Aluma fishin tub, 20 motors to choose from!



    GUESS WHAT?...I gotta fever,...and the only prescription...IS MORE COWBELL!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Frank Mole Transport