Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chris Craft caper 120 Johnson, what to do

Well for starters I don’t know much about boats… Im big into turbo cars and do lots of custom fab work for them (tig weld headers and roll cages) have built a few 400-600whp 4cly setups and help with some 2500hp BBC twin trubo 10.5 out law cars.</SPAN></SPAN>

Now we have had this boat since new in 91, it’s a Chris Craft caper with a 120 V4 Johnson. The boat has always ran well, but I think its time to give it a updated look and some more power/speed.</SPAN></SPAN>

I was going to redo the seats in a dark grown vinyl. And repaint paint the boat in a dark charcoal with a black wind screen (the parts that’s blue). Get this thing out of the old 90’s colors.</SPAN></SPAN>

Now with the motor… I was just thinking about getting a newer 4 stroke like a 150 Honda.. but a buddy of mine said why not fix this one up. Back in the day it wend 60mph I think.. now it seems to do about 50 if I recall. I will get it back in the water to GPS it soon.</SPAN></SPAN>

So is this motor worth fixing up? What should I do to it? So far the only thing I can think of is boyesen reeds… what else would help? Or what and where </SPAN></SPAN>

Im pretty sure these would be the ones to order.</SPAN></SPAN>
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=150268330178

</SPAN>

</SPAN>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd stick a 2.5L 200HP merc on it.... not much more weight than what's on there now and way more power....
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still tinkering around with this boat. added boyesen reeds. Lifted the motor 1.5" and have a cheap turning point 21pitch13" prop.

gps shows 51 maxes out at 6000rpm. Trim up and it picks up 1-2mph but it starts to porpoise a bit.

What at should I try next. Don't really have the budget I swap motors but can toss a few hundred at it here and there.

Sorry for the questions but I know nothing about boats.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok update haha. Lost my old email info. But it’s Brad D under a new name. Sold the 120 Johnson. Buddy painted the haul with imron paint. Going to redo the interior in brown fake leather.... and repower with a 4stroke. The old Johnson was 350lbs and a new 150 Pro XS 4stroke is 450lbs the 115 is 350lbs

would it be wise to put that 450lb motor on the back? I can move the battery and fuel under the front... or should I stick with the lighter 115hp
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	78E7DAED-D253-4BDC-A618-FF99ED1BCAB8.jpeg 
Views:	89 
Size:	193.0 KB 
ID:	407857

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also going to buy these bomber buckets. The company that makes them said they would redo the rear bench to match as well.

Name:	B74657C6-A50F-49C6-9B05-B4FAACA79F09.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	407868

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't recommend a 4storke on that boat. Seem little heavy to me , id stick with 2 stroke,like 2.5 200 or similar. Imo on a light hull like that 3.0l or similar motors just to heavy and probably won't handle as gud above 70. Just my .02 cents. Maybe others will chime in with pro and cons that's been down that rd ��

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im pretty set on a new 4stroke. I just want a quite & reliable setup with decent power. That 150 would be 100lbs more than the old 120 Johnson I had on it. And the 115 would be pretty much the same. That being said this boat handles like a much bigger boat. One member on here said he had a 235 bubble back on his.

Quote Originally Posted by Merclover View Post
    I wouldn't recommend a 4storke on that boat. Seem little heavy to me , id stick with 2 stroke,like 2.5 200 or similar. Imo on a light hull like that 3.0l or similar motors just to heavy and probably won't handle as gud above 70. Just my .02 cents. Maybe others will chime in with pro and cons that's been down that rd ��

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you got your plan all figured out

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merclover View Post
    Sounds like you got your plan all figured out
    well I think the safe bet is the 115 pro xs. But I don’t want to miss out on the performance.... but the extra 100lbs hanging off the ass end seems like lots.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got these seats custom made by www.tmiproducts.com slowly updating the boat.

Name:	TMI seats.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	411.3 KB 
ID:	439792

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallguy View Post
    well I think the safe bet is the 115 pro xs. But I don’t want to miss out on the performance.... but the extra 100lbs hanging off the ass end seems like lots.
    The 100lbs not b as much as u think. I wouldn't b scared of little ex weight if float floats gud now Maybe little less set back ? Will help fly it better

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put a 2 stroke on there. They are very reliable if you use common sense and keep the fuel system clean. An evinrude crossflow v6 weighs 395 pounds. If you want modern, why not go ETECH...........or have you bitten into the bad apple that ETECHS are junk. They are VERY reliable. Maintenance free almost. My first sentence was about old school 2 strokes...........not modern 2 strokes. The new etechs have better torque than n/a 4 strokes.......I am NOT commenting about supercharged 4 strokes......I don't know enough about their power curves.

Most people keep passing by ETECHS because its a 2 stroke. That's why I talk about it when I can. The 4 stroke companies still love to bring out that old moniker....."But it's a 2 stroke, its dirty, its inefficient, its unreliable, it wont last as long.........etc, etc, etc........" All lies to trash Evinrudes......or dare I say.....get em to shut their doors.

I've had my run ins with the Yamaha jerks around me in my area........all the while etechs blew them away in shootouts.

I sound biased, I am..........but not as much as it sounds. The four strokes have been on a mission for a long time time now to shut down the 2 strokes. I just want it to be fair for all parties. The etech is as clean if not cleaner than the 4 strokes. Its just as quiet as well. But why in the world do you want a quiet motor on a hot rod boat...........there-a twin turbo guy?....just giving you a hard time, no offense meant.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    new 150 etec would be cool if you want to go new
    Last edited by powerabout; 10-14-2019 at 12:33 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    take a look at the merc 175 opti. good weight at 500 and fuel economy. also invest in a jack plate.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2011 post #1 that's a long time to get that back on the water ?
    I may be slow but im ahead of you. *hit's only ankle deep but you went in head first.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast