Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

baker question?

ok so I am new to the forum and have a question but no photos rite now but I am looking at buying a 1986 Baker custom mod haul, it has a 1983 3.4 L 300 hp Merc.
    Hand laid race haul in good condition does have some minor stress fracturing nothing big at all! in areas that looks like its just in the gel coat and paint. Newer carpet newer interior
    Newer gauges w brand new Livorsi gps Speedo and VDO CHT. Custom made travel cover.
    Motor is stock internally 300 3.4L 500hrs on Hobbs aprox do not know how many on motor for shure but does sound strong but does have 5psi less compression on 1 cyl. Has Bobs Built dual hose big foot low water pick up lower unit . 26 p Mercury racing Stainless labbed chopper (how much is this prop worth if the seller kept the prop and took a portion off the whole boat asking price? the prop is lightly used and does not show fatigue). Mercury Hydraulic trim and tilt. Single ram hydraulic steering. Bobs 4 in HD hydraulic jack plate w bobs led jack plate gauge, just trying to find out what a fair price to pay for this boat is? would greatly appreciate the help and opinions! O and I also live in northern colorado, thank you!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets look at the motor first. The old 3.4 300s were the first generation. Later ones were Cosworth blocks. These engines were referred to as plow mules by someone here a long time ago and I think that is a good description. They are dependable and powerful when used in a low performance applications but you would not want to enter one in the Kentucky Derby. In other words if you try to turn a 3.4 into a race motor it will usually explode very shortly. The rotating assembly is too heavy to beat on. Some one here sold several of them for decent money or so he claims, but I think he caught the buyer with their pants down. From a functional standpoint the motors should be worth $2000 or less if in good shape and 500 hours does not exactly make it expected to be not in need of freshening although it does seem to show relatively easy use if it has not been repaired multiple times. Most parts are no longer available from Mercury and the lower unit is the weak link with no new parts available and limited availability used parts. A labbed chopper would likely be worth much less than the cost of the lab if it really is a chopper and not an ET. An ET would bring considerably more. I'm thinking $200 for a chopper.

Because of hours on motor and limited suitability for a high performance boat and the age of the boat (is the transom and all of the other structure solid?) I would think $3K to $5K tops if you really like it. When it gets time to sell it and move on I think you will find the buyers pool to be very limited.
    bama hama