Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

glastron jetflite 143 prop selection

had my glastron 143 out for shakedown run. 1986 omc 70 horse 12 3/4 x 22 stainless prop. 6" setback manual jackplate all the way up, motor mounted as high as can go, propshaft 3" below bottom of boat, tell tale pisser pees strongly. hit 50.2 gps into 10mph headwind 1' chop, then later in the day with extra passenger when chop and wind settled a bit, hit 50.4 gps. any prop selection advice for top speed? also water behind boat wasn"t clean, it had spray shooting upward. hopefully, a buddy of mine can find some time to ride next to me with a camcorder so i can see the back of the boat at speed. also the boat ventilates bad in turns unless full negative trim is applied . any suggestions on remedy for ventilating in turns other than lowering engine. oh, one more thing, sounds crazy, but i think i can hear the prop slapping the top of the water? would a chopper type prop work in this situation?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude,
    You're probably going too fast already. That was my first "fast" boat. I had a 85 hp Johnson on it, it would do 48 mph, chinewalking all over the map.
    Sorry to be negative, but because of the sharp v-hull, it's always going to chine-walk if get the nose out of the water. It also has a substantial hook in the bottom to get it on plane. Without doing a lot of modification to the bottom, it won't be safe if you go much faster.
    It sounds like the spray and the ventilation are due to the motor height. As long as you are getting on a plane OK, I wouldn't be too concerned.
    That is a very cool unique boat. It is like a miniature Corvette. My brother still has mine and skis with it regularly. Enjoy it the way it is, and be safe.

1986 Baker 18 Mod VP, Yamaha 175
    2001 Crest Pontoon, 150 Opti
    1968 Sears 14' aluminum, Merc 110

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have the single windshield or split windshields? Post some pics!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

speedy boat

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p_00177[1].jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	236216Click image for larger version. 

Name:	securedownload.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	236215

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 129.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	236218Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 126.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	236217[I have this Glastron I am currently going to restore. Putting a 850XS on it. Don't be scared about the speed. YOu just have to learn how to "Drive" a Glastron V. I have had almost every V bottom they made. I love them. But you have to steer thru the Dutch rolls, that's for sure. It is not an Ally or Tunnel that drives like a Caddillac. My Jet has the single windshield. I like to run Choppers. You need to get the majority of that boat out of the water, or the chines making a lot of contact WILL try to roll you. A double ride guide (coming in from opposite ends) is a must to be safe and help keep the rolls to a minimum. If you have sloppy steering you are behind the 8 ball on a Glastron. I run two to three inches below the bottom W/Prop shaft CL. I always have to trim down in the turns. Good luck..gg

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rochelle,
    That is a sweet looking boat. It's amazing how nice the condition is.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have some good numbers there already. I'm not sure you can squeeze much more out of her as those aren't really a performance boat. They were more of a ski boat. I was always a big fan of the jetflites.
    '72 Glastron GT-150 Johnson Stinger 65
    '83 Hydrostream Varmint 2.4 225 Mercury
    '05 Hydrostream Voyager 250xs optimax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new numbers

just back from the lake this evening, nice and calm out,got 51.8 gps 2 people in boat with 6 gallons of fuel. no prop change yet, just better conditions. thank you all for your input, it is very encouraging. i will try to post some more pix for your enjoyment. i do believe 55 gps is in my not so distant future. is there a chopper type prop that can give me more bowlift with less trim position? i would like to get some experienced opinions on this. i can hear the prop i have now slapping the water, hence the percieved need for a chopper type prop. when switching to a prop of this fashion, is there a general rule in pitch change when going to choppers vs. rakers, or stick with pitch and diameter like i have now(12 3/4 x 22), but in chopper form?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My father bought his jetflite the day after graduating from HS back in the 1960's and put on one of the first in-line 100 horse Mercury's on it, with a 'short shaft' lower unit from the marina he bought the motor from. The original long shaft chime walked, handling sucked, etc. Back then no jack plates or modern wheels. The marina recommended installing a Mercury short-shaft lower unit. He reports trying many different 2-blade brass props and a 2-blade cleaver-blade worked best. No power trim. My father reports the boat running speeds 59-60 MPH. In later years, when boating with my uncle, the midalian speedo (in the 1980's) also verified that speed. (Uncle bought from my dad, who since passing the boat on to his kids). This boat still goes out to the lake a couple times per year and looks in great shape. His was blue / white.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for reply, any idea what diameter and pitch the prop is you are talking of . just got in from the garage, been cleaning up the boat for the weekend. buffed the top and bottom of hull, now doin' the rubrail and windshield trim. hope to find a prop to try for a couple more mph.