Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for some advice....

i am new to this site but have a feeling i will be on here a lot! so far everyone seems to know their stuff and be willing to help. I am somewhat new to outboard racing, i just bought a 17' Contender Tunnel hull with a 200HP Evenrude crossflow... looking to change over to a merc 2.5L. i really like OMC outboards but it seems for goin fast, the Mercs are where its at. What do you guys think? Can the OMC be made to compete with the 2.5's or do i need to sell it and go merc? I am running a chopper prop, exhaust has been cut and i run about 5800 RPM on the mat... do not know top speed i will put my GPS in it next time we go to the river.
    thanks
    Josh

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard! There are plenty of folks on here that can fill you in on your motors potential. I've got the same boat as you but with Merc power. These hulls are fun but can be flighty. If you haven't already, do a search on here about em'. PH

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will take some mods and expense, but an omc can run as fast as a merc. If you want a turnkey fast motor, buy a merc. However, you will pay a lot more for a merc. Ultimately, your wallet will be a major factor in how fast you can go.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the site. There are guys on this site that can make that OMC be all it can be. My concern would be the weight. Do a search, like Pete suggested, and find out what the boat likes. Above all, make it safe.
    Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    welcome! since your from Texas I suggest you contact Galen Burden [evinrud] on this board and he'll help you!
    why ask me ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks! i would reallylike to run an OMC... i am still learning the site but i will try the search and see what i can find. I am trying to go to the river today and i will take my gps to get speed numbers. thanks for all the help! if someone who has a boat like mine would be willing to call me i would really like some advice on which direction to go... again i have owned boats of all kinds all my life but this is my first really fast one some i still have a ton of learning to do.... again thanks for all the help!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to post a couple of pics of your set up. Show the jack plate and motor height. Do you have low water picks ups on your LU? These boats like lots of set back but be VERY careful with the trim. My best props so far have been Yamaha drags(or copies). PH

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will get some posted for y'all, and no not running a low water pu yet. If I keep the omc it will be one of the first things I do..