Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the kind words, guys. In the 69 500 John and I ran a ultralight 4 engine 32' Bertram. Well it was too ultralite because the thing exploded under the deck, stringers and all, didn't even make to Chubb Cay. As for the Jones Cat its first race was the Miami to Nassau in 69. John and I ran it but only made to Bimini and had to beach it due to a split in the sponson. The thing was a dog with a full fuel load, but about half way across the Gulf stream the thing started flying. We were just smiling and having a great time, until it started slowing then we knew we were in trouble. Would love to know what happened to that boat, only boat I ever sat down in. Steve- those engine holddowns you were talking about, remember we called them '****** Knockers'. Don't mean to offend anyone thats just what we called them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knockers and 1000# Dogs

Ahhh yes, Knockers. Now I remember. By the way, the 1250BP's were rated at 140hp. Earlier I made reference to the magnificent sound that the BP's made when they came out of the water. I referred to it as a 1000# dog barking. It is a sound I shall never forget, and I thought I would never hear again. That is until I found a video on a Youtube site. I managed to collect part of it and install it in my OFF2010 video presentation. I put it in there SPECIFICALLY for that sound and it is only 10 seconds worth with 2 or 3 "barks". The following link will take you there...The BP Barks are at the 5:45-5:55 point in the video. Turn up the sound and enjoy...RUFFF....RUFFF....RUFFF - Old Seeroy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIxIozuumpQ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve, thanks for taking time to reply. We thought these 3-4 engine offshore boats were the coolest things we had ever seen. Wish we could have seen some in person. I was a fan of Jerry Langer, as he ran the X-115s and that was my favorite engine at the time. And Bob Magoon's OB boat! All to cool. In my humble opinion, these boats represented engineering and enginuity at it finest. Hardware and setups had to be figured our and manufactured. Now, all you really need is a checkbook.
    And I thought this thread might get a post or two when I started....
    The first one I expected to answer never even posted!
    18 Talon/2.4 carb SOLD
    26 Deck Boat/250 Merc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seeroy View Post
    First...It pains me to EVER contradict Gene Lanham.

As to the Jones cat that Gene Lanham referred to, John said he ran that boat in 1968 Miami Nassau but did not finish, which renews my question...What the hell ever became of the Jones cat? - Steve Sirois

It's OK Steve! My 'system' for identifying a lot of my pictures involves: Boat number, driver, and memory. Lots of room for lots of errors.

Here is the rest of the picture of Jerry and the Jones Cat. I was racing with Pat Duffy in the 1969 season, and this picture was probably taken before the 1968 Miami-Nassau race---October 1968----
    Last edited by GENE LANHAM; 05-03-2011 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading this thread is like the T-Shirt compamy 'OLD GUYS RULE' This is real good stuff........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old fiberglass View Post
    Gene knows a lot about this BP powered race boat.
    Doc Magoon ran this 32' Cary, 4 Super BP's during the 1970 season, then sold it to Mike Matheson, who sold it to Larry Smith. Larry won a couple races in California---then used it as a plug for his famous 'Scarab'-----

Check out the 'racing uniforms' of the early 1970's-----my favorite/signature: Levii's, dirty white 't'-shirt.

Last edited by GENE LANHAM; 05-05-2011 at 01:16 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gene- is that Lynwood in the stripped tank top?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Howard View Post
    Gene- is that Lynwood in the stripped tank top?
    Hey Jerry-----no----that is Larry Smith----but I do have one of Lynwood---still miss that guy----

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post
    Doc Magoon ran this 32' Cary, 4 Super BP's during the 1970 season, then sold it to Mike Matheson, who sold it to Larry Smith. Larry won a couple races in California---then used it as a plug for his famous 'Scarab'-----

Check out the 'racing uniforms' of the early 1970's-----my favorite/signature: Levii's, dirty white 't'-shirt.

Gene - Was that 444 Cary a new hull for you and Bob, or was it one of the previous Kiekhaefer boats with a reconfigured cockpit? Tandem cockpit is OK for driver, but not so great for the other guy. I've been both. - Steve

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seeroy View Post
    Gene - Was that 444 Cary a new hull for you and Bob, or was it one of the previous Kiekhaefer boats with a reconfigured cockpit? Tandem cockpit is OK for driver, but not so great for the other guy. I've been both. - Steve
    Steve---I always thought that Ralph had set up that boat? I picked it up at the Lake before the Nassau race, October, 1969. The boat was complete, ready to race, sitting on one of those heavy yellow K. C. tandem axle trailers. Doc had 'defected' to OMC earlier that year, and Mercury was very anxious to get him back to 'Black Power'----Gene

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post
    Steve---I always thought that Ralph had set up that boat? I picked it up at the Lake before the Nassau race, October, 1969. The boat was complete, ready to race, sitting on one of those heavy yellow K. C. tandem axle trailers. Doc had 'defected' to OMC earlier that year, and Mercury was very anxious to get him back to 'Black Power'----Gene
    Gene - Here is photo of Ralph, at Lake X, in the 32' Cary that he setup for 1969 Bahama 500. Ralph is on the right and looks like maybe Dennis Robins on the left. Shortly after this photo was taken, we got word that Jerry Langer wanted to run Mercs and either Ralph or I would have to give up our boat to him. We elected to give him Ralph's as mine was faster. Ralph then rode with me. As you can see, this boat was originally setup with side by side cockpit and three fuel tanks to the rear of the cockpit. There was one tank on each side and higher than the center tank. Each outer tank gravity fed from the bottom and into the bottom of the center tank. All four engines fed from pickups in the center tank. There was a primary pickup and a backup (spare) pickup for each engine in that center tank. I think each tank was at least 100 gallons (maybe even more). The point is that, the 444 boat that you and Bob ran was center tandem cockpit toward the rear. If that is the boat, it must have been rerigged. And, of course, we did that sort of rerigging all the time. I am guessing that, for shorter races, you would not have needed the large center tank. However, it is also possible that your boat was a completely new one and that was the original setup. Also, since Ralph had the experience, it is logical that he would have been the one to setup another 32' Cary with 4 BP's. The photo that you posted looks like you may have kicked out an extra pin hole, which was done by adjusting the "knockers" out a bit. By the way, how did you do in that Miami-Nassau? DAD GUMMIT, THOSE DAYS WERE FUN!!! - Here's hoping to see you in October. Do you still see Doc Bob once in awhile? Best Regards - Old Seeroy

Last edited by seeroy; 05-06-2011 at 01:32 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Howard View Post
    Thanks for the kind words, guys. In the 69 500 John and I ran a ultralight 4 engine 32' Bertram. Well it was too ultralite because the thing exploded under the deck, stringers and all, didn't even make to Chubb Cay. As for the Jones Cat its first race was the Miami to Nassau in 69. John and I ran it but only made to Bimini and had to beach it due to a split in the sponson. The thing was a dog with a full fuel load, but about half way across the Gulf stream the thing started flying. We were just smiling and having a great time, until it started slowing then we knew we were in trouble. Would love to know what happened to that boat, only boat I ever sat down in. Steve- those engine holddowns you were talking about, remember we called them '****** Knockers'. Don't mean to offend anyone thats just what we called them.
    Jerry - I just noticed that, if you go back to page 1, Post #9, you can see the outer hold down ("knocker") attached to the left engine. It is the brass device attached at the bottom end where the shock absober would have been attached. I have been looking all over the place for a photo of one while it was right under my nose the whole time. GO GATORS! - Steve

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=seeroy;2158535] By the way, how did you do in that Miami-Nassau? DAD GUMMIT, THOSE DAYS WERE FUN!!! -

/QUOTE]

We finished second, Jerry Langer finished third in the 32' Cary, and I think Billy Wishnick won it.

After the race we were in the bar having a beer, worried about getting the boats back to the USA, and Jerry said 'I'm running mine back!' So--we fueled up at Nassau--back to Miami---and a very young Bobby Krell rode back with me---boat back on the trailer--cleaned it up and I was back at the Fire Station by 6:00 PM!!!

DADDGUMMIT, THOSE DAYS WERE FUN!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only when you are young can you race boats all day and run calls all night and call it fun. But it was.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2us70 View Post
    Only when you are young can you race boats all day and run calls all night and call it fun. But it was.
    Hey Jim----Only an old boat racer; an old firefighter could think like that----
    Gene

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast