Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberator*21 View Post
    Well, another wet and cold weekend has come and gone and I'm still waiting to get on the water. Besides all the flooding around here, docks are gone, ramps are still underwater, this weather is the pits, so rediculas.......mid 80's & sunny for a few days, then more rain, then back to mid 80's and rain, then onto low 50's and rain..........when oh when will it ever stop ????

Trying to pass the time, I figured I'd also close up the 2 OEM exhaust dumps at the bottom of the mid. This now limits exhaust routing to out the back and/or down through the prop. It'll probably help in the sound department as well since the exhaust will take the path of least resistance (out the back) when in the water.
    Gary how did you close the OEM dumps? Sucks that you cant get on the water yet I haven't noticed any increase or loss of power since I cut my promax but it sure does sound good it actually sounds kind of like a small block chevy idling down the canal. Curious to see what your x with the tuner will do performance wise with and without the block off plate.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb OEM Dump Block Offs

I closed the OEM dumps using some 1/8" x 2" x 2" aluminum angle. That area is not a 90 degree fit so I took an impression of the angle with a big chunk of clay so I could measure the angles and profile I needed to duplicate. That gave me the exact angle and contour for the fit. Then I just started to work the aluminum angle with a torch, brass hammer and a radius block to shape it for a near perfect fit. Trimmed the edges and radiused the corners so nothing stuck out from the sides of the mid, also had to trim down the side that fit the vertical surface from 2" to around 5/8", so you'd end up with an angle piece about 1 1/2" x 5/8, the 5/8" side is flush with the bottom of the mounting surface between the mid and L/Unit. Drilled and tapped one 10-32 hole in each vertical side of the mid in the middle of where the dump opening is, drilled one clearance hole in each angle applied some high temp black silicone to all the faces that goes against the dump face and mid sides, bolted it up using loctite 242 on the screws. Once it's bolted up the silicone bead squeezed out, wiped it down along the edges for a smooth sealed fit. You can't even tell anything has changed except for the head of the button head screw. I did paint it all black prior to installing it and painted the screw head too.........it all disappears that way. The face of the aluminum angle is slightly bigger than the dump opening so the silicone has a sealing surface all the way around. Sorry I didn't take any pics while doing this mod , it just didn't occur to me till afterwards.........

Since I didn't take a pic, I made a sketch for your reference;

Gary

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To bad your so far away Gary, water is low here, if you get the urge to go on road trip LOL you got a place to stay.

Dave
    1980 Cougar 19 tunnel,90 2.4L Bridgeport EFI in middle of restoration.
    1988 BAJA Sunsport 186, 96 225 Pro Max
    79 12' Auminum, 95 Merc 9.9
    RIP Stu
    "So many idiots, so few bullets"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poor Gary........... All dressed up and nowhere to go LMAO!! You should have got out the helmet and snowsuit and got your break in done before this never ending monsoon started 2 months ago. It's starting to get old!!!
    85 Checkmate Starflite
    MAD/Wolf 225 EFI

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strong View Post
    To bad your so far away Gary, water is low here, if you get the urge to go on road trip LOL you got a place to stay.

Dave
    Dave,

Thanks a bunch, greatly appreciated. Who would have ever thought that I'd be able to go boating in Canada before I could here..............LOL.

It's been a very ugly 2011 around these parts to say the least and I like so many others have had my fill of it. The wife is actually thinking of having me commited because I spend to much time in the garage sitting in the boat turning the steering wheel side to side making motor noises.........., yep I've gone over the deep end and the only cure is going to come with better weather.......

Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Dad kept water level records of the lake from 1956-2010, high water always comes from last week in June to first 2 weeks in July. From ice off the level goes up 5 1/2' on average but has been as high as 7 1/2'.

Dave
    1980 Cougar 19 tunnel,90 2.4L Bridgeport EFI in middle of restoration.
    1988 BAJA Sunsport 186, 96 225 Pro Max
    79 12' Auminum, 95 Merc 9.9
    RIP Stu
    "So many idiots, so few bullets"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by opsdave View Post
    Poor Gary........... All dressed up and nowhere to go LMAO!! You should have got out the helmet and snowsuit and got your break in done before this never ending monsoon started 2 months ago. It's starting to get old!!!
    Thanks for your sympathy there Dave..............LMAO too.

I'm not as fortunate as you are by having a big boat project underway that helps make these bad weather days go by quicker.........LOL. Like you said it's getting very, very old, I know your weather is basically the same as ours. Just when I got my shorts and Scream & Fly tee's out of winter storage, the temps drop like a freak'n rock.

What the hell ever happened to Global Warming, where is it when ya need it..........

Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary
    I'm so glad my boat is in pieces at the moment. I would be going just as nuts are you are waiting to run the boat. I have to drive over the Ohio River every morning on my way to work........ Drives me nuts just looking at the water!
    85 Checkmate Starflite
    MAD/Wolf 225 EFI

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strong View Post
    My Dad kept water level records of the lake from 1956-2010, high water always comes from last week in June to first 2 weeks in July. From ice off the level goes up 5 1/2' on average but has been as high as 7 1/2'.

Dave
    I wish that was the only increase in water levels around here. Ohio River normal pool is around 28' it been holding around mid 40's for a few weeks now after coming down from 55 feet. That 25+ foot increase over pool tends to make everything dissapear........LOL.

Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberator*21 View Post
    I closed the OEM dumps using some 1/8" x 2" x 2" aluminum angle. That area is not a 90 degree fit so I took an impression of the angle with a big chunk of clay so I could measure the angles and profile I needed to duplicate. That gave me the exact angle and contour for the fit. Then I just started to work the aluminum angle with a torch, brass hammer and a radius block to shape it for a near perfect fit. Trimmed the edges and radiused the corners so nothing stuck out from the sides of the mid, also had to trim down the side that fit the vertical surface from 2" to around 5/8", so you'd end up with an angle piece about 1 1/2" x 5/8, the 5/8" side is flush with the bottom of the mounting surface between the mid and L/Unit. Drilled and tapped one 10-32 hole in each vertical side of the mid in the middle of where the dump opening is, drilled one clearance hole in each angle applied some high temp black silicone to all the faces that goes against the dump face and mid sides, bolted it up using loctite 242 on the screws. Once it's bolted up the silicone bead squeezed out, wiped it down along the edges for a smooth sealed fit. You can't even tell anything has changed except for the head of the button head screw. I did paint it all black prior to installing it and painted the screw head too.........it all disappears that way. The face of the aluminum angle is slightly bigger than the dump opening so the silicone has a sealing surface all the way around. Sorry I didn't take any pics while doing this mod , it just didn't occur to me till afterwards.........

Since I didn't take a pic, I made a sketch for your reference;

Thanks Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary,
    When do you think the testing will be..before I start cutting??
    Thanks,
    Tony

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiline View Post
    Gary,
    When do you think the testing will be..before I start cutting??
    Thanks,
    Tony
    Tony,

Heading to the lake Sunday & Tuesday to try to get the motor out of break in mode. Hope to have a couple of clips to post when I get done.

Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's fantastic, I'll be waiting to see how it goes,and good luck!
    Tony

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bad, I met Monday & Tuesday, not Sunday..........anyway, went out today and had issues, motor wouldn't go above idle. Got home and tore into it and found my low pressure fuel reg was not putting out any fuel............sucks. So got that fixed and I'm heading out again tomorrow, hope it runs tomorrow better than it did today.............

Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still not under full power

Guy's,

I've been out twice and had fuel issues both time out........sucks. Won't do anything but idle. Step on it and BLAAAAAAAAA, nothing. Here's the latest post on the fuel issues;

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?235448-300x-No-power-off-idle

With that being said, I feel I found the major problem and I'm off again this weekend to try it again, third times a charm (I hope)............LOL.

Gary

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast