Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Switzer Craft Shooting Star- Merc 1500 XS

Hi--- I'm new here. I have a 1962 wooden Switzer Craft Shooting Star,recently restored by my brother Dave Doyle in Wisconsin.It has a tunnel in the front,tapering to flat at the back, so that at speed air from the tunnel is forced under the boat,lifting the back so that it barely touches the water. I raced it back in the early 1970's with a Mercury 1000 BP, which I still have. It is now powered by a restored Mercury 1500 XS,and it's a real kick in the pants, besides being beautiful! I also have a 1968 Switzer Craft Super Hugger powered by a Mercury 115 HP in-line 6. I'm currently restoring a wooden 1956 Switzer Craft Shooting Star,which is very different than the 1962 Star,and at some point I'll be looking for a vintage Mercury to put on it. Any other old Switzer/Mercury fans out there? Jerry Doyle

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need pics

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerry, Is your SS a Green one? If so I think I've seen pics on fiberglassics. If not show me what you got, Im interested. There are a few guys on here that really dig the older stuff. Im running a 1975 1500J short shaft on a 1965 Carlson Contender right now. My 1500 is the same block as the XS with blue letters and no LWP. Its a lot of fun and it also has the tunnel back to a flat bottom design.

What would you like to put on your 1956?

Conrad
    L6fan57-88

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to own a 1962 shooting star. This is the third boat in the world left of that vintage I have heard of. One restored in the east coast. Mine and yours..

The one I had sits up here near me still unrestored.. Bobby told me that the boat still holds a prop slip% record at merc at 6% loss. At top speed you can try and turn and the boat turns side ways and does not turn until you slow down to half speed.

I also know that the boat was way ahead of it's time as far as design and is awesome. Pics please?

Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by berzerko View Post
    we need pics
    x2!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    definitely an old switzer and mercury fan here. sounds like you have some great toys!

96' STV Euro

Smarta$$ of the
    Sunshine Syndicate,

How to upload pics (click here)

Quote Originally Posted by jphii View Post
    Well then, give her a $50 bottle of booze and don't let her know about the hookers, or what you spend on them
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    oh no. i just realized I am the voice of reason on a thread. i am so done, RIP 1Bad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,Conrad-- My boat is metalflake green, but it is a Switzer Super Hugger, not a Switzer 17 SS, and I don't think that it's been on fiberglassics. Your 65 Carlson is a very similar design, and a cool boat!. I'm still thinking about what engine to get for my 1956. It's rated for 45 HP, and in 1956 I think that a Mercury Mark 58 45HP engine was about the most powerful engine available, until the Evinrude/ Johnson V-4 50 HP engines came along. But I've always been a Mercury guy, and I once had a Mark 58 on a Switzer 13' Bullet. I'm thinking about beefing up the transom a bit and putting something a little bigger on it. A Mercury Mark 78 70HP motor would look very cool on it, but I have some concerns about the Direct Reverse on those engines. After all, They were called "dock busters" for a reason. Any recommendations? Jerry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A proper tuned dockbuster works great. I have a 57-75 and a 58-78 and they both have run very good. Not a motor for they guy without mechanical time to keep in tip top. But once set up proper they will run fine for lots of hours.

In 1956 the 40 hp MK 55 was the top of the line for mercury. In 1957 the 60 hp MK 75 was introduced. And in 1958 the 45 MK 58 and 70 hp MK 78 were out.

Your 45 hp limit seems a bit odd. I wonder what Evinrude was producing in 1956?

Conrad

So if you want to stay original Id stay with a 1956 MK 55. Should be easy to find. Or if you want a bit more power Id try to find a 1957 MK 75, they look great.
    L6fan57-88

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,Bill--- Until now, I only was aware of the restored one on the east coast.Who owns the one that you had, and is he going to do anything with it? The first time I raced mine, I went into the first turn wide open,and slid sideways half way across the lake! The race anouncer had a lot of fun with me,pointing out the rookie sliding across the lake. I called Bobby Switzer, and he told me to put 2 fins on it 18 inches forward from the transom. The fins do help quite a bit,but I still had to let off the throttle before entering the turn. This boat was designed to set an OPC speed record going straight, which it did.and turning is not it's strong suit! I'm working on some pics. Jerry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your hp rating baffles me a bit. In 1956 no one made a 45 hp motor that I am aware of and no twin set up is going to make 45 hp. Manufacturers usually stuck to what was available at the time.

45 hp was not available until 1958, could your boat possibly be a 1958?

I have no historical info on Switzers at all so Im just grabbing at straws.

Conrad
    L6fan57-88

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would love to see some pics of all your boats , sounds like a great collection ! Which 1000 BP [cross flow - diirect charge ] do you have ? You need to find a hull for the BP. I have a collection of inline 6 engines [115,125,1250SBP,1500,T2]but short of hulls to run them on. Looking forward to some pics of your collection . Glen

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,Conrad--- I think I was wrong when I said it was rated for 45HP--- it's probably rated for 40HP. I knew that it wasn't rated for the in-line 6 Mark 75's or Mark 78's,which wern't out yet, so I assumed that it was rated for 45HP... probably because I once had a Mark 58. The boat is at my cabin on Bitterroot Lake in Montana, and I'm in California for the winter, so I can't check until I get back to Montana. My brother has restored a couple of 1958 Shooting Stars,which have the same hull, but a very different top... there are pics of his several restored boats on the Switzer Craft Yahoo group site.He just finished restoring a wooden Switzer Baby Bullet, and managed to find a Mark 20H racing engine for it.There are also some pics of my 1962 Star on that site. I'm working on putting pics of all my boats on this site. Jerry

Along the Illinois Waterway a little south of Joliet Illinois
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Jerry doyle's switzer shooting star

Here is a picture of Jerry's 1962 Switzer Shooting Star at the 2008 Switzercraft Reunion Regatta.....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8-5-2008-41[1].jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	286944

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Doyle View Post
    Hi,Conrad--- I think I was wrong when I said it was rated for 45HP--- it's probably rated for 40HP. I knew that it wasn't rated for the in-line 6 Mark 75's or Mark 78's,which wern't out yet, so I assumed that it was rated for 45HP... probably because I once had a Mark 58. The boat is at my cabin on Bitterroot Lake in Montana, and I'm in California for the winter, so I can't check until I get back to Montana. My brother has restored a couple of 1958 Shooting Stars,which have the same hull, but a very different top... there are pics of his several restored boats on the Switzer Craft Yahoo group site.He just finished restoring a wooden Switzer Baby Bullet, and managed to find a Mark 20H racing engine for it.There are also some pics of my 1962 Star on that site. I'm working on putting pics of all my boats on this site. Jerry
    1987 Switzer GL-21 OMC V8 Prototype/ Replaced by another V8
    1983 Switzer SS-20-C/Evinrude V6
    1983 Switzer SS-20-B under renovation
    1972 Switzer "Flatback Transom" Super Sport (in storage to be rebuilt at another time)
    Replica 1964 Switzer Playboy 1968 125hp Merc Short Shaft
    1977 Switzer Super Sport**sold** Reaquired on Sept.29,2016

Join us at The Switzer Regatta & Hot Boat Rally

https://www.facebook.com/switzer.craft.7

#2 iron from the Mayo clinic, Fla. / Blue Ridge, VA.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting thread ! thanks for posting, agreed we would enjoy some pictures. love the old stuff, it takes thought instead of check stubs. have a glance at these guys, realize your a bit of distance away, but like minded people,,, http://www.classicraceboatassoc.com/
    most overnite successes usually take at least 10 years

Certified turd polisher,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Switzer Craft

I need help IDing this Switzer Craft I pulled out of a boathouse in Wisconsin. I was thinking of restoring it, not sure what I would get myself into. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Doyle View Post
    Hi--- I'm new here. I have a 1962 wooden Switzer Craft Shooting Star,recently restored by my brother Dave Doyle in Wisconsin.It has a tunnel in the front,tapering to flat at the back, so that at speed air from the tunnel is forced under the boat,lifting the back so that it barely touches the water. I raced it back in the early 1970's with a Mercury 1000 BP, which I still have. It is now powered by a restored Mercury 1500 XS,and it's a real kick in the pants, besides being beautiful! I also have a 1968 Switzer Craft Super Hugger powered by a Mercury 115 HP in-line 6. I'm currently restoring a wooden 1956 Switzer Craft Shooting Star,which is very different than the 1962 Star,and at some point I'll be looking for a vintage Mercury to put on it. Any other old Switzer/Mercury fans out there? Jerry Doyle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lori lee 5.18.14 v2.jpg