Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

omc large pipe blocks

I want to make sure I understand the open deck 3 liter has the large pipes which are capable of 10,000 or better and all the closed deck ( ficht or not ) have the same size smaller pipes and flatten out around 8,000 or a little better. Is this accurate or are there some large pipe ficht blocks?

Thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Open deck blocks take 4x the work but will make more power on a race motor. If you want a hot rod lake boat, the ficht or etec block works well. If you want to win in Pro Gas/Pro Fuel you better start with an open deck and be ready to do some machining.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

am I

close in the figures? what can I expect from a ficht block without the pipe work? will one turn over eight? i also want to know your opinion on the cdi ignition. all i hear is bad news about them. all i want is a great lake motor to turn 8 or so -

thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any of them will "turn over eight". Stone stock 1993-2000 f-port motors will do that easily with just a touch up in porting. You better be damn good at jetting or you will be buying pistons every time out with the plastic carbs. CDI stuff is not as good as stock. Either will turn 8K if you dont go over 135-140 in compression. More compression blows out the spark on the weak OMC ignition, the more compression you have, the lower it will rev. A good, well built OMC race motor with stock ignition and 200 pounds of compression will barely turn in the mid 7's. Put MSD or Yammie ignition on it and you get instant mid 9's.
    Last edited by 6Killer; 02-19-2011 at 06:24 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O.k. I had no idea. Wow. I want to start rich for idle - the intermediates about 20 sizes smaller - .090 main and work from there. leave the intermediate alone and adjust the bottom and top. I will put softer heads on it and run stock ignition - enough for me - info is greatly appreciated - ps - the 6700 power pack is not the pack I want, right? does omc make an other pack?

thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure I understand, what are the pipes you are speaking about? And does the MSD box add to the stock OMC ignition or is this a complete change over?

Thank you

Jim

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MSD = PWC ignition, 2 of them. Each ignition fires 3 cylinders, you loose all the OMC stator, and ignition. Total loss unless you put an alternator on it. Yammie ignition conversion is better than MSD, it uses all the stock parts from an early Yammie 150-200. MSD is not that dependable and is way over priced.

There is a guy from Florida that has done a bunch of conversions, putting Yammie ignition on an OMC. Post about and he should answer. He knows all the tricks to this mod.

The "pipes" is the manifold/tuner cast into the block.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know

i have talked to sam and others - having a hard time getting anyone on the phone to get the cap and the flywheel done. I have at least three sets here. Was wanting to know if i could just run that cdi. Guess I need to email taylor marine. If I run omc ignition, will the stock pack rev?