Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Seastar Pro VS "regular" Seastar steering

Could someone tell me what the actual differences are between a regular Seastar steering kit and a PRO kit?

Most of the Pro kits I have seen for sale come with what appears to be a Regular 5345 ram and the lines are 1500psi rather than 1000, also the helm appears to be a different (better) helm.

My understanding is that the actual Pro ram is the 6345...Is there a kit available that comes with the 6345 ram?

I currently have a "regular" 5358 ram so if I just upgrade to 1500psi lines and get the new helm would I then have the same performance as a PRO kit?

Also, any vendors on here that carry Seastar?

Thanks in advance!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive been wondering the same thing. The only differences I see are the hoses and the helm is better like you said. And according to seastar the pro is recommended for 60mph and up speeds. There sure is a big difference in price from the regular kit to the pro also.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, to me the Seastar Pro kits seem to include a "regular" old standard cylinder....so I would imagine if someone already has a Seastar standard steering if they upgrade the lines and the helm to 5770 helm you would now have a PRO setup????

As far as I can see if you want a FULL Pro setup (including the pro cylinder) you would have to purchase everything separately. Is the Pro cylinder much better than the regular cylinders? What are the difference(s)?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I did a little more searching online and was able to find some more info. Soo The Seastar Pro kits do have a different (better) helm, the higher PSI Kevlar reinforced hoses. The only question seems to be why does it come with a standard 5345 cylinder instead of the Pro 6345 cylinder....So what is the difference between 5345 and 6345 Pro cylinders.... I found this info at Bass Boat Magazine.....

"There is really only one major difference between the two units. Boat builder Darris Allison has always hated hydraulic steering because he didn't trust it, didn't feel it was dependable for 90-100+mph boats. Obviously it was used on many Bullets, Strokers and tunnel boats with success. His customers began demanding it, many of us existing customers began rigging our own Allisons with hydraulic units (the 5345 units) with safety and success. Then Mercury dropped a bomb on us, they quit making the Dual Ride Guide steering cables (which were used on Allison boats). So he basically HAD to adopt the hydraulic steering.

Never one to leave an existing mousetrap alone, Darris got with the folks at Seastar and being the marine engineer and guru that he is they jumped at the chance to let him play with their steering system and see what he could come up with. (He's done R&D, design and engineering work for nearly all the big names in the marine industry at some point and time in the past and continues with many into the future as a consultant.)

Anyway he addressed the weaker points in the system (fittings, QC and O-rings mainly) and went on to modify the existing 5345. In the process he came up with a "new" system (Pro 6345) and it is sometimes known as the "High Perf system" and in alot of circles also known as the "Allison system". Everything is the same between his refinded 5345 and the 6345 except one addition too the latter.

One thing kept bothering him about the existing system, the tendancy of the support rod to bend and flex seperate too the piston/shaft.

Hopefully I can "visually explain" this via: http://www.teleflexmarine.com/librar...v4_0)Parts.pdf go down to page 6 and you'll see a blowup diagram of a 5345. Look at the part #12 the "Support bracket". On the Pro6345 Darris redesigned it with a "keyway" that prevents the Support Rod (part #9) and the Piston/Shaft (not marked but they are the shafts extending out of each side of #13, the "Pivot Cylinder Assembly).

By essentially locking those two rods/shafts together he prevented their binding which then also strengthened the entire unit. At 50-60mph they wouldn't move around, but 100+mph boats CAN move them around and that was always one of his concerns.

He also mandated the use of an ARP bolt (super strong) which is the bolt that actually connects the motor too the steering cylinder. (Part #2 in the diagram) The 6345Pro also features Kevlar hoses for extra strength and durability.
    RA" Thread located at: http://www.bassboatmagazine.com/seas...18.html?p=7433

5. Thanks rgsauger thanked for this post
    Likes rgsauger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It all has to do with the pressure the system is designed to withstand. The standard system has a faster helm (less turns lock to lock)and 1000 psi hoses that will expand at the pressures assoc. with most hi speed operation. Pro system has a slower helm (more turns and heavier feeling valveing) and 1500 psi hoses with kevlar reinforcement. (Hoses make the biggest difference) The cylinders, 5345 is imo adequate for most hi perf small boats.. The pro cylinder is attached more securely at the engine, and has a little more beef internally. I have a pro sys on my V-King and a 5345 cylinder. Actually have this system on 3 of my boats in all. It has no slop at all, and handles the torque without any problem at all.... The installation and bleeding make all the difference in the world with these systems. No air, no slop.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Tha Pro iz a 2.0 helm, and tha std iz a 1.7.......I have used diffrent cyls and kan't tell tha differnce....It'z all in tha helm........Tha pro helm uses kevlar hoses for less exspansion wit tha extra pressure!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want the 6345 Ram, you must purchase everything separately. That's the way Teleflex wants it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the Pro really neccessary for boats with speeds over 60mph? Or will the regular seastar work fine? Anyone know where I can find a good price on either system?
    Last edited by laglass69; 02-14-2011 at 07:03 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, the pro system is a tighter helm. It pumps more volume. As far as "One thing kept bothering him about the existing system, the tendancy of the support rod to bend and flex seperate too the piston/shaft." is bull****. Darris' keyed rod is "make you feel good" BS. Think of how many V hulls have been running with no problem for years. All it does is lighten your pocket book. I have the regular pro system in both Allisons and never have had a problem. Neither have I heard of anyone else having problems.

11. Thanks panther150 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Take a look at he Uflex stuff. I got sick of leaky failing SeaStar so tried Uflex on the little tunnel and ist really nice. I seems much nicer and looks better IMO. They have a standard and a Silversteer (HP) application. I think its a little less $ as well.
    13' Biel tunnel AKA "Flight Risk"
    13" Modified Yamaha V4 - 101 mph

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sea star's web site says pro helms can be 2.0 or 2.4 there is a noticeable difference in wheel play and the pro cyl supposedly has another seal.

My action had regular wore out fishin boat sea star with a 1.7 helm and it ran right at 100. Obviously you have to turn the wheel more then say dual opposing cable but anyone that says you can "feel" the boat with hydraulic just never drove one with it long enough to get used to it.
    Quartershot T-3R 15" 3.5L E-Tec 1.62 Sportmaster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of great info. On my boat right now (which is a 24'x7' deep v bottom) I am upgrading to a new 300XS from a 250 EFI which had a standard Seastar steering. The boat runs around 65 with the 250, I was thinking that upgrading to the Pro would be a good idea. In my situation do you think I should spring for the 6345 and buy the kit in pieces or could I just get the Seastar Pro kit that comes with the 5345 + 1500 psi lines + the better/Pro 2.0 helm and call it day?

Thanks again!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a reply from Seastar regarding some of the differences....

The Seastar Pro KIT comes with HH5770 PRO helm pump, HC5345 Standard steering cylinder, HO57XX PRO Kevlar reinforced hoses, and 2 bottles HA5430 Oil.

A tech from Teleflex told me that the only way to get the HC6345 PRO Cylinder is to order it separately. He also said the main differences between HC5345 and HC6345 are the following:

- PRO cylinder has a keyed bracket to support rod. This allows for less racking leading to more responsive steering

- PRO cylinder has larger, more robust connection points where the cylinder plate meets the cylinder body.

HH5770 PRO helm as compared to standard Seastar helms:

- Pro helm has higher relief setting.

- Pro helm gives more precise control (less dead band in the steering wheel to make fine adjustments at higher speeds)

Thanks again for all the replies. I hope this setup works well on my 24'x7.
    Last edited by phaster; 02-15-2011 at 05:26 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Now if you install it correctly with no air in the system, it will work great.. Leave air in it and you will cuss it......

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

17. Likes Forkin' Crazy, rgsauger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotcha I will keep you updated. Hope to install soon. I decided to go with the 6345 because it only ended up costing about $200 more buying all the stuff separately vs buying the kit with the standard cylinder. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    Now if you install it correctly with no air in the system, it will work great.. Leave air in it and you will cuss it......

19. Thanks ZO6 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast