Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Safest way for a transaction to be done, for the buyer and seller?

Un-fortunately, it seems that I am seeing more conflicts between buyers and sellers on here. I have had only one sale on here and the buyer "trusted" me and sent me a check. When it cleared my bank I shipped the part. Had I not been a "good" guy and followed thru, he would have been screwed. Soooo, the question is, how do we handle a sale where it protects the seller and buyer? This is a great site, and we would all like to be able to trust each other. Maybe that's not possible any longer tho. At least not with new sellers/buyers w/ no rep. (which I am) Any suggestions for a "safe" way to handle this? Thanks for any info...

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question,i guess it all comes down to trust,after what happend to a few friends on here,its hard to trust anyone,good post,

WASHINGTON N.C.. I TOO HAVE A BOATING PROBLEM
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I trusted a guy on here, and got a used 2.4 200 that lasted 600 hours.....the very next guy I trusted sent me a a "freshly rebuilt" 2.4 that the chorme was worn thru to the aluminum beneath......and I am STILL stuck with that worthless boat anchor......
    JOHN MASON
    '83/VECTOR/MERC 200-- SOLD
    '98 Quartershot T-3/ MERC 200

"If your not living on the edge, your taking up to much space"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My self have been using e-bay for the last 10 years. On thoose 10 years I only had a complaint against on vendor this past january (a boat part also). I purchase a "Great Working Tilt/Trim Pump" as stated from the item advertise. I paid right away and the part was sent super quick. When I got it, it didn't work, I took it apart and it was full of water in the motor,rust and broken botor base. The vendor wanted for me to send the part back and give him the positive feedback so he gets his money and then he will pay me the amount less the shipping cost. I did not agreed to that because I would be end up paying like $100 for shiping and no part on my hand.

The seller applied for for a claim agaisnt me for the money and when I expalined everything the decision was made in my favor. I got all the money back.

I think e-bay and paypal are great tools and they offer remedies for the type of situations I'm currently going thru. It cost something and you have to register but in the long run is safer.

Pedro

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lack of Trust.

I'm from New Zealand and I am trying to purchase a Wellcraft Nova 230XL from within the US.

Frank Mole is very kindly acting as both my relocation expert and my banker.

I am gobsmacked at the effort I am having to put in to "purchase" a boat. I had a done deal with a guy and asked him for his bank, address and full name so I could do a "bank to bank transfer of cleared funds". My bank here in NZ tells me this is the safest way to transfer money overseas. In this case my money has been transferred to Frank and he would be sending the money to this dude.

After sending the email request for information I got a very terse email back refusing to give me "that information". "Ok" says I "how would you like to be payed for your boat?" The seller informs me that a certified bank cheque would be acceptable. "Great" I says, "can I have your full name and your address please?" No came back the reply.

So my final email asked how he expects me to send him a certified bank cheque without his name to go on the cheque and a postal address to send this cheque to?
    So he then informs me he has withdrawn his boat from the market.

Has your world gone crazy over there?

I phone people up who are advertising their boat for sale. It seems as though everyone has answer phones and every time the phone rings before answering, they look at the incoming call number, see that it is from outside the US and refuse to answer it even after I have emailed them telling them I will call. Then after leaving numerous messages and instructions to call or email me I finally give up.

I can only assume that there is plenty of scams and dishonesty in your country.

So what is wrong with NAME AND SHAME. If you unfortunately get shafted name the bastard. But conversely if someone is on the up and up, a person of their word also congratulate and name that person. Credit where credit is due, but the reverse also is just as important.

Over here in NZ much of our business is done on a handshake, your word is your bond, and if you are into scams or shaft people word very quickly spreads around.

I think it is a real shame that there appears to be such a low level of trust in the US.

On a positive note I purchased a Johnson V8 outboard from a gentleman in Florida and can't speak highly enough of his trust and integrity, I am wondering if he is a Kiwi living in the US.

In meinem geheimen unterirdischen Versteck, USSA
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yah, it is a shame that their are so many scumbag, flim flam, honorless, con artists over here and, on this very site. Thankfully, they usually get tossed if caught on here. Personally, if it were buying something for any significant amount of money I'd use a service that has a dispute clause in transferring funds or, use an upstanding member you trust to help. As for you overseas guys theirs no way I wouldn't use a broker or, a repected person as go between for funds transfer most have fee's but, would be well worth the hassle if things went bad. Sucks but, with this crap economy its just gonna breed more of these scumbags.
    .......................................................................LETS STORM THE CASTLE BOYS!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoking Joe View Post
    I'm from New Zealand and I am trying to purchase a Wellcraft Nova 230XL from within the US.

I am gobsmacked at the effort I am having to put in to "purchase" a boat. I had a done deal with a guy and asked him for his bank, address and full name so I could do a "bank to bank transfer of cleared funds". My bank here in NZ tells me this is the safest way to transfer money overseas. In this case my money has been transferred to Frank and he would be sending the money to this dude.

After sending the email request for information I got a very terse email back refusing to give me "that information". "Ok" says I "how would you like to be payed for your boat?" The seller informs me that a certified bank cheque would be acceptable. "Great" I says, "can I have your full name and your address please?" No came back the reply.

So my final email asked how he expects me to send him a certified bank cheque without his name to go on the cheque and a postal address to send this cheque to?

I phone people up who are advertising their boat for sale. It seems as though everyone has answer phones and every time the phone rings before answering, they look at the incoming call number, see that it is from outside the US and refuse to answer it even after I have emailed them telling them I will call. Then after leaving numerous messages and instructions to call or email me I finally give up.

So what is wrong with NAME AND SHAME. If you unfortunately get shafted name the bastard. But conversely if someone is on the up and up, a person of their word also congratulate and name that person. Credit where credit is due, but the reverse also is just as important.

Over here in NZ much of our business is done on a handshake, your word is your bond, and if you are into scams or shaft people word very quickly spreads around.

I think it is a real shame that there appears to be such a low level of trust in the US.

On a positive note I purchased a Johnson V8 outboard from a gentleman in Florida and can't speak highly enough of his trust and integrity, I am wondering if he is a Kiwi living in the US.
    we just have to weed out the crap,were getting closer every day...........................
    TRANSPORT SERVICE...UP TO 33 FEET....YOUR TRAILER OR MINE... FULLY INSURED...............
    DOT & CDL COMPLIANT $500,000.00 CARGO & 1 MILLION LIABILITY

LIVE LIFE ON THE EDGE,LESS CROWED BETTER VIEW
    ...............2022 3500 HD SILVERADO DUALLY 6.6 TURBO. 8 FT BED...LETS PULL IT.................

http://www.frankmoletransport.com/

Silverton section of Toms River, NJ/Stuart, Florida
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I dont buy from anyone that wont give me a home address. I figure i gotta give them mine why cant I have theres. There are many ways to check if the address is legit and if it isnt I wont do business. I like to know the person I deal with. Business that accept credit cards are different cause you got the card company to go after them. JMO

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Good post

Quote Originally Posted by Smoking Joe View Post

So what is wrong with NAME AND SHAME. If you unfortunately get shafted name the bastard. But conversely if someone is on the up and up, a person of their word also congratulate and name that person. Credit where credit is due, but the reverse also is just as important. Over here in NZ much of our business is done on a handshake, your word is your bond, and if you are into scams or shaft people word very quickly spreads around.

I have done that. It was a vendor. I got a lot of **** over the deal and was accuse of slander, etc even though I was right and proved myself with evidence.

He still preys on S&Fers. That is a sad truth.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forkin' Crazy View Post
    I have done that. It was a vendor. I got a lot of **** over the deal and was accuse of slander, etc even though I was right and proved myself with evidence.

PM me please so I can stay away from him Paul.

Chris
    God, Country, and Fast Boats
    SPECIAL BOAT TEAM 12/ HSB'S SOC NSWU-1

Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. And when your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that they weep and pray for more time that they may live there life over in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a Hero going home.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forkin' Crazy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by specboatops View Post
    PM me please so I can stay away from him Paul.

Chris
    Don't worry about the PM, it was Noah at Eagle One I'm sure............................... If it wasn't it the one Paul was talking about, I'm saying that he did it to me and many other S&F er's.

I was young and bashful back then.
    Today,...I'd just knock on her door,..hand her the crab dope, and say, "Rub summa this on ya booger. I'll be back day after tomorrow".
    -Bristo

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking that if you haven't dealt with someone before, It might be wise to post their name before selling or buying anything to/from them, and ask for feed back as to their track record on here.. It could at least be a start..... If they have nothing to hide, shouldn't be a problem for them...

Rebuild thread:
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    I'm thinking that if you haven't dealt with someone before, It might be wise to post their name before selling or buying anything to/from them, and ask for feed back as to their track record on here.. It could at least be a start..... If they have nothing to hide, shouldn't be a problem for them...

I very much agree with this idea.. Hind sight always being 20/20 I should have taken some additional precautions, my fault.. I did look at Brian's post count, and it appeared ok, also didn't find anywhere on here where someone had complained about him... So next time I think I'll do a "reference" check as mentioned above before sending the funds...

Silverton section of Toms River, NJ/Stuart, Florida
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I stepped away from a very good deal last week cause the seller, with a very low post count,wouldnt give me his home address. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Post count and giving all the personal info asked for seems to be important in making the deal more safe. Since someone with a higher post count has more history on here, there should be more members to vouch for him. In this case the one with less reputation should be the one that sends the money before receiving the goods. In doing this, he will build his rep over time. For larger sales, a third party might need to be involved. Pay pal or a intermediary person. If some guidelines were set up, there might be less of a chance of getting burned. People with a shady dealing history would go away since they couldn't win at the game anymore. Instead of elaborating on the deal and getting accused of slander, just a simple thumbs up or down would be the best way to rate someone. This is just one idea on this. And it may or may not work, but something needs to be done. There are way too many bad deal threads on here, and like our Kiwi member said, there is no basis of trust anymore... We could change this, at least on S&F....

Rebuild thread:
    Videos

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast