Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    2001 Evinrude 225 Ficht

    Engine shuts down and won't restart for 1/2-3/4 hour. Here's the deal guys this engine will start and run perfect at the dock all day long take it out and run it for around 40 mins and it will shut off like you turned the key off leave it for around 45mins it will restart.
    This is what has been done already, changed the PDP, all relay's have been changed the large blue capacitor is good, have even swapped the computer out just to try and the problem is still the same. ran the engine with the diag and the engine temp or EMM temp is not going beyond normal when the engine does it's thing, when it shuts down and you turn key off/on nothing happens fuel pump doesn't come on or engine doesn't crank and tachometer does it's system check then lights three lights on gauge and during this time at no time will the EMM communicate with the Diag software. At this point all points have been checked for proper voltage and all is well nothing out of the ordinary just wait the 40-45mins and she will run like normal again.

  2. #2
    Sounds like the regular complaint I hear which is computer over heating. Cools down and fires right up. I know you said you already changed that though.
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.


    Checkmate Starliner w/TBD
    Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II
    28' Marinette Express
    32' Marinette Flybride Sedan

  3. If the fuel pump won't run after the shutdown and 3 lights come on the gauge, then it is the EMM that is faulty and was a fairly common problem with the '00 and '01 motors built by OMC in their final days. The 4th light is the LOW OIL warning and that is not generated by the EMM and will not come on with a motor problem. Often codes 81 through 86 will show up in the memory.

    DFI Technologies is the best place to have if fixed, unless you want to spend big bucks and get the factory exchange new EMM through your dealer.

  4. #4
    Hey Gary, hows it going? I've been leaning towards that too, with the Computer hooked up while running it watching the Engine and EMM temp's they both stay between 155*-160*f so it's not showing that the internal temp of the EMM is exceeding normal temp's, when it shuts down and you turn the key back on it won't communicate with computer diagnostics at all and won't crank or even turn on the fuel pump. this is a good one to figure out.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by seahorse View Post
    If the fuel pump won't run after the shutdown and 3 lights come on the gauge, then it is the EMM that is faulty and was a fairly common problem with the '00 and '01 motors built by OMC in their final days. The 4th light is the LOW OIL warning and that is not generated by the EMM and will not come on with a motor problem. Often codes 81 through 86 will show up in the memory.

    DFI Technologies is the best place to have if fixed, unless you want to spend big bucks and get the factory exchange new EMM through your dealer.

    BRP won't touch the Ficht EMM's anymore, service through DFI Tech is the only option.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Tarpon Springs, FL---Queens,NY
    Posts
    15,310
    I had a 99 175 doing the same exact thing it was something in the computer I forget what its called the pfc or pcf or somthing like that (dont quote me). DFI fixed it and the motor has run great ever since computer is showing over 2300 hrs (must have been a gov or commercial motor at one point) its on my buddies 21 paramount pushes it about 45-48mph

    I have a 01 225 di on my paramount right now and I love it. I feel like im gettin old cause I like cruising at 42 at 4krpm gettin good mpg drinking a brew, its a lot easier then it is at 80

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Insane-o View Post
    BRP won't touch the Ficht EMM's anymore, service through DFI Tech is the only option.
    BRP exchanges the EMM's on the FICHTS of 2000 and newer. They do not do the old air cooled ECU's. They do not rebuild anymore, but sell new ones only.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ontario, New York
    Posts
    1,374
    Quote Originally Posted by jerremy powery View Post
    when it shuts down and you turn the key back on it won't communicate with computer diagnostics at all and won't crank or even turn on the fuel pump. this is a good one to figure out.

    Did you say the system check gauge doesn't do the the shelf check or does it when the key is turned on...
    Dan Cario

    1983 Laser LTV Comp w/2.6GT

  9. #9
    The system check does it system check when the key is turned back on and then lights up three lights from the left to right. At this point nothing happens fuel pump does not come on engine won't crank and Diagnostic software won't communicate with the EMM it's as if the EMM is off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baja16 View Post
    Did you say the system check gauge doesn't do the the shelf check or does it when the key is turned on...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Progression Boats