Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    any one ever heard of a side winder

    I had to go work on a stove the other day up in the hills of pa and seen this boat it kinda looks like a hydra stream but it has a small block v8 jet drive the only thing i could see on the boat as far as a name is side winder

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    peterborough
    Posts
    1,293
    Quote Originally Posted by RiceKiller View Post
    I had to go work on a stove the other day up in the hills of pa and seen this boat it kinda looks like a hydra stream but it has a small block v8 jet drive the only thing i could see on the boat as far as a name is side winder
    Yes sidewinders were 14, 16, and 18 ft. Very popular at one time and pretty, all were outboards mostly. Some i.o.s and pumps in 18,s. The 14,s, were fIipped at least twice, [capricorn] for one thanks.
    free spirit / ONTARIO, CANADA.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    #2 iron from the Mayo clinic, Fla. / Blue Ridge, VA.
    Posts
    5,846

    Cool the way I remember it,,,

    Sidewinder was the original, copied by Baja, n on n on. Sidewinder was the original. flat deck jet application. never known as super fast but it was the beggining of the "jetboat" revalution in the late 70's. big round windshield. Taylor was the big dog here with the Taylor SS or the SJ. that's it from the "alzimers wing" of the SNF old timers wing.
    most overnite successes usually take at least 10 years


    Certified turd polisher,

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brigham City, Utah
    Posts
    229
    Well the Siderwinder has a great following but an iff"y past or so it seems. Glastron made the Hull that Schuster liked after watching some off shore races. Schuster borrowed a 16 ft Glastron from a dealer and Splashed the hull.

    I am not sure who came out with the Lo Pro Deck 1st or the SS/Tahiti deck but both had a copied Glastron Hull.

    Either way both Splashed each others decks and as far as I know both went out of business back in the 70's or early 80's.

    I have a Schuster Tahiti, also known as a Sidewider SS or a Cobra.





    Now as to Taylor's Again we are talking to different boats.....OK Taylor's or CA Taylor's

    OK Taylor's were flat bottom SK, SJ or V drive with a few limited Mod V Hulls and maybe 10 O/B's.

    The CA Taylor's were Mod V Hull and either in Jet, I/B a few V Drives and a few O/B.

    The CA Taylor I bought.




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    #2 iron from the Mayo clinic, Fla. / Blue Ridge, VA.
    Posts
    5,846

    Cool thats not the Taylor I'm referring to,,,

    Quote Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
    Well the Siderwinder has a great following but an iff"y past or so it seems. Glastron made the Hull that Schuster liked after watching some off shore races. Schuster borrowed a 16 ft Glastron from a dealer and Splashed the hull.

    I am not sure who came out with the Lo Pro Deck 1st or the SS/Tahiti deck but both had a copied Glastron Hull.

    Either way both Splashed each others decks and as far as I know both went out of business back in the 70's or early 80's.

    I have a Schuster Tahiti, also known as a Sidewider SS or a Cobra.





    Now as to Taylor's Again we are talking to different boats.....OK Taylor's or CA Taylor's

    OK Taylor's were flat bottom SK, SJ or V drive with a few limited Mod V Hulls and maybe 10 O/B's.

    The CA Taylor's were Mod V Hull and either in Jet, I/B a few V Drives and a few O/B.

    The CA Taylor I bought.



    that thing has a tunnel V design which I would guess to be close to something like a Stoker or something and that trend is definatly of the 80's vintage. the Taylor I'm speaking of did come from Oklahoma or some mid western state as I remember. I didn't know the sidewinder was a copy of glastron, it seemed wider than the gt-150 or the others. so I'd say a good job of changing the original, but still it's like a lowlife trying to snake your ole lady, just sleazy interesting thread, fun out
    most overnite successes usually take at least 10 years


    Certified turd polisher,

  6. #6
    A true classic, and one of the "original" performance boats (from a point of brand recognition) from the late 1960's through the 1970's.

    http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Sidewinder

    So popular, that it appears someone is still building them

    http://sidewinderboats.com/


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brigham City, Utah
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by transomstand View Post

    So popular, that it appears someone is still building them

    http://sidewinderboats.com/
    Be cautious of the company building the New Sidewiders as it seems they aren't producing any boats but taking a lot of deposits. On the Sidewider Forum there is quite a history with the company having a lot of issues, a couple early boat broke and sunk due to lack of foam or wrong foam, there was a report of one loss of life due to issues...I wish the Sidewinder Forum was up but something is wrong with the site just now.

    Karsten

  8. #8
    smart people don't build boats with foam this is how boats get water logged and rot you just a dumb ass

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by ver View Post
    smart people don't build boats with foam this is how boats get water logged and rot you just a dumb ass
    No sir you are a moron and have zero knowledge of boatbuilding !!
    " The Fleet of Old Boats "
    '71 -16' Super Sidewinder -140 Mercruiser
    '73 -14' Orlando Clipper Skiff -Yamaha 25
    '79 - 21' Mako -Yamaha -200 EFI
    93- 18 ' Renegade Nomad Flats boat -Merc 150
    '94 - 21 ' Allison XB - 2003 -Merc 260
    '97 - 19 ' STV Euro - Merc - 260
    '99 Benninton 2375 TOONER with Johnrude 90 Circus Animal


    http://www.srwmd.state.fl.us/index.aspx?nid=105
    IMPEACH OBAMA - REMEMBER BENGHAZI ..NEVER FORGET !!!!!!!!

  10. #10
    This boat looks to be 18 ft and i would say it cold be bought at a pretty good deal it has the serial number on the aluminum rub rail I don't have the money to buy any thing rite now im laid off the boss just throws me a bone under the table hear and there.

    and i found a old Baja looks like its about 21ft closed bow it has a inline hanging on the back i hate to see these old hot boats setin around and not being used and i know this boat could be bought cheep

  11. #11
    It's a terrible shame that so many older boats are sitting around, turning to dust, when so many people who appreciate them would love to recover them, but are prevented from doing so because of time, money, space, distance, etc.


  12. #12
    You are so rite If i had the money and room I would old boats setting every ware and probably be divorced LOL

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Wyckoff, NJ
    Posts
    3,753
    Blog Entries
    1
    They also made wooden tunnel hulls for a few years in the early 60's to get their name out in the OPC racing world. The original Sidewinder was a 16 footer popped directly from the 1965 Glastron 16 footer. They simply lowered the sheer line slightly and put an "SK" type deck on the hull. it was built lighter than most Glastrons and ran well with a single 1250 BP Merc. The first hulls came to the East Coast in 1968 or so. Bob Van Epps and Calvin Powell raced them that year.
    Last edited by T2x; 01-18-2011 at 08:23 AM.
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    18 Foot Switzer Wing 2 x 1250 BP's (Miss Diablo)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (The Ghost)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)

    !7 Ft Molinari Evinrude CCC (Gold Dust)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brigham City, Utah
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    They also made wooden tunnel hulls for a few years in the early 60's to get their name out in the OPC racing world. The original Sidewinder was a 16 footer popped directly from the 1965 Glastron 16 footer. They simply lowered the sheer line slightly and put an "SK" type deck on the hull. it was buily lighter than most Glastrons and ran well with a single 1250 BP Merc. The first hulls came to the East Coast in 1968 or so. Bob Van Epps and Calvin Powell raced them that year.
    TX2,

    Actually it was Schuster that splashed the Glastron after 16 ft Deep Vee after watching an offshore race and hte flat bottoms getting their butts kicked. Schuster borrowed a Glastron from a local dealer and copied the hull over the weekend.

    Sidewinder came along and copied the hull Schuster had copied and added a Lo Pro Deck, Then Sidewinder knocked off the Schuster Tahiti deck pictured above...Everyone was suing everyone and I don't think anyone ever won anything....Then came all the copies of the Lo Pro and Tahiti decks.

    Sidewinder also made the Seabold Warrior Tunnel Hulls which still command a great deal of money today.

    Ricekiller,

    You ought to go talk to the guy and see what he wants. You might be surprised and he want just want it gone. I have seen two of these lately being given away, a few more hauled to the dump....You either find a guy that wants an older boat and want to keep it going or ya can't give these older boats away.

    The Sidewinder-Boats Forum is full of people that love Sidewinders and all the copies. I ran through one resto post where a guy found a Sidewinder 16 SS (haul like mine above) that had been converted from out board to I/O or Jet using 2x4's, hacked up, sitting on the ground, no cover for years....Completely redone and back to an O/B.

    Saw another post where found out a buddies boat had been out on the property from something like 16 years and the people wanted it gone.....Hull was about all that was left and had to cut down a few small trees to get it out but someone hauled it home.

    Karsten

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Wyckoff, NJ
    Posts
    3,753
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
    TX2,

    Actually it was Schuster that splashed the Glastron after 16 ft Deep Vee after watching an offshore race and hte flat bottoms getting their butts kicked. Schuster borrowed a Glastron from a local dealer and copied the hull over the weekend.

    Sidewinder came along and copied the hull Schuster had copied and added a Lo Pro Deck, Then Sidewinder knocked off the Schuster Tahiti deck pictured above...Everyone was suing everyone and I don't think anyone ever won anything....Then came all the copies of the Lo Pro and Tahiti decks.

    Karsten
    Sounds like a real mess..... but a pop is a pop and it sounds like both companies deserved each other. The 14, 15 and 16 foot Glastron hulls became the "basis" for a lot of hulls back then including Checkmate. Glastron and Sea Ray are probably responsible for more boat companies' tooling than anybody else, with the possible exception of Don Aronow's 24 footer.

    The Sidewinder tunnel hulls were actually made by a third party in their factory. They made about a dozen or so in both single and twin engine configurations and one of the big duals was actually a four point design. They were neat early tunnels and ran pretty competitively, especially the little single engine designs. This was between 1967 and 1970 or so, long before any Seebold involvement.
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    18 Foot Switzer Wing 2 x 1250 BP's (Miss Diablo)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (The Ghost)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)

    !7 Ft Molinari Evinrude CCC (Gold Dust)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Progression Boats