Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

40amp flywheel question

Anyone know if the 40 amp Merc flywheel (black vented) from a late 90's 200 outboard will fit a 1990 Mariner magnum II 150 with a 40amp stator and big water cooled regulator?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think that it would be ok. The stators look identical. The water cooled stator just has 2 yellow wires.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it should, i run mine the other way because the old flywheel is lighter than the cast one.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YES. They have the same part number 271-859238T16.
    Bud Conner "Heathen" "Defending Our Constitution"

FOR ALL ENGINE APPLICATIONS
    DRY Film Lubricant for Piston Skirts & Cranks + Thermal Barrier Ceramic Coatings for Piston Tops, Combustion Chambers, Valves etc !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigshrimpin View Post
    Anyone know if the 40 amp Merc flywheel (black vented) from a late 90's 200 outboard will fit a 1990 Mariner magnum II 150 with a 40amp stator and big water cooled regulator?
    Is the one you have now the red one that is stamped steel? The late model ones (black casted) are very heavy compared to the stamped steel ones. It will work but it is heavier. I have one of the red stamped steel 40amp if you need one.

Quote Originally Posted by HStream1 View Post
    YES. They have the same part number 271-859238T16.
    They have the same numbers now. It has went through 5 supersecesions to get to that number. The original one was a stamped flywheel and now they are replacing them with the casted one.
    James Perry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=wrechin2;2089893]Is the one you have now the red one that is stamped steel? The late model ones (black casted) are very heavy compared to the stamped steel ones. It will work but it is heavier. I have one of the red stamped steel 40amp if you need one.

not all are red. some where black.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=gambling209;2090331]
    Quote Originally Posted by wrechin2 View Post
    Is the one you have now the red one that is stamped steel? The late model ones (black casted) are very heavy compared to the stamped steel ones. It will work but it is heavier. I have one of the red stamped steel 40amp if you need one.

not all are red. some where black.
    Maybe, I have never seen a stamped steel 40 amp flywheel that was black that I can recall. I have converted several of the water cooled 40amp to 9 or 16 amps due to the cost of the stator and regulators on them and all of those were red. It may be a 1 year deal and I haven't had any of those come in or I have never noticed.
    James Perry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i HAVE POSED THE QUESTION OF MAKING A LIGHT 40 AMP FLYWHEEL THAT WOULD PROBABLY WEIGH 8LBS OR SO, i THINK, BUT NOONE HAS SEEMED INTERESTED. INTERESTING STORY WITH PHILLIP BOND BACK IN THE OLD DAYS WHEN EVERYTHING WAS XRI OR CARB AND THE 2.5 CAME OUT, HE PUT THE 16 AMP SYSTEM OFF A 2.4 AND WAS PROTESTED, AND MADE TO USE THE 40 AMP SYSTEM THAT CAME ON THE NEW 2.5 XRI, OF COURSE HE USED THE RED FLYWHEEL AND PICKED UP 2 TENTHS BY GOING TO THE 40 AMP VS THE 16. JUST SOME FOOD FOR THOUGHT WOULD LIKE TO FIND SOMEONE INTERESTED IN WHITTLING A NEW LIGHTER VERSION JUST TO SEE.
    2004 DYNA T/C 95 dyno 90hp
    1976 Ventura 200 Prostock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jay j View Post
    i HAVE POSED THE QUESTION OF MAKING A LIGHT 40 AMP FLYWHEEL THAT WOULD PROBABLY WEIGH 8LBS OR SO, i THINK, BUT NOONE HAS SEEMED INTERESTED. INTERESTING STORY WITH PHILLIP BOND BACK IN THE OLD DAYS WHEN EVERYTHING WAS XRI OR CARB AND THE 2.5 CAME OUT, HE PUT THE 16 AMP SYSTEM OFF A 2.4 AND WAS PROTESTED, AND MADE TO USE THE 40 AMP SYSTEM THAT CAME ON THE NEW 2.5 XRI, OF COURSE HE USED THE RED FLYWHEEL AND PICKED UP 2 TENTHS BY GOING TO THE 40 AMP VS THE 16. JUST SOME FOOD FOR THOUGHT WOULD LIKE TO FIND SOMEONE INTERESTED IN WHITTLING A NEW LIGHTER VERSION JUST TO SEE.
    The biggest gain would be to drop out the load at full acceleration. That could be done with a toggle switch, or a micro switch on the throttle linkage and a relay disconnecting the yellow wires.
    To fish or not to fish? What a STUPID question.