Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synthetic Oil question

no,no,no,,,, not the dreaded wich outboard oil question, we all know pennzoil is the best An aquaintence of mine says he uses royal purple in all his vehicles and gets better mileage and no motor problems. Any experience with synthetic oils in car motors?? I dont mind spending the money to get the good stuff but damn! I wanna make sure I aint pissin it away. Ive got a ford diesel excursion, expedition,460,289 and 2 generators to do so I gotta buy damn near a whole truck load
    Why does everyone keep calling me Richard Noggin?? My name is George!

Just bring some aloe.....ima tan that hide.......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good stuff.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Insane-o, Royal Purple is good stuff. I use it in my car and get better mileage and no problems to date.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran a 4.3 in an astro to 326,000 miles. Engine still runs good. Doors all fell off the van.

Oil was Super-Tech full synthentic. Changed twice a year, filter every 3000 miles.
    To fish or not to fish? What a STUPID question.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only heard both positive & negative about the Royal. But thats only hear say, and no proof that it's a bad Oil, never personally used it. I prefer to use Castrol Syntec in my vehicles with no issues what so ever. And the mileage is great. Then again I'm hard on change.
    Last edited by HStream1; 12-10-2010 at 05:48 PM.
    Bud Conner "Heathen" "Defending Our Constitution"

FOR ALL ENGINE APPLICATIONS
    DRY Film Lubricant for Piston Skirts & Cranks + Thermal Barrier Ceramic Coatings for Piston Tops, Combustion Chambers, Valves etc !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Amsoil and like it, maybe picked up 1/2mpg. Years ago had the temps dropped to -30 and never plugged in the trucks, my truck fired right up in the am, the wifes truck wouldn't start untill plugged in. Mine had Amsoil 5w-30 the wifes had GM non syn 5w-30, both same year GM 5.7 engines.
    I ran Amsoil in mine from new would go 10,000 miles between oil changes at 175,00 miles still wouldn't use a qt. between changes. The wifes ran GM reg oil, changed every 3,000 miles and at 100,000 began to use a qt. between changes. I figure its well worth going with synthetic, if you go twice as long between changes then the extra cost of the oil is no longer an issue. JMO

Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    255.000 miles on my old 4.3 GMC, change it when it gets a quart low or 10,000 miles. Does'nt burn, leak any oil and still has 60 psi rolling down the road just like the day it rolled off the lot. And that motor has had anything but an easy life. Use it in pretty much everything I have.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amsoil is the best synthetic I've ever used. I've used Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Klotz, Kendall, Eneos,Valvoline, and Castrol(all synthetic) in my 4 stroke vehicles, from atvs, to daily drivers, to motorcycles, to turbo'd drag cars. Amsoil has always performed the best for me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dorton View Post
    Amsoil is the best synthetic I've ever used. I've used Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Klotz, Kendall, Eneos,Valvoline, and Castrol(all synthetic) in my 4 stroke vehicles, from atvs, to daily drivers, to motorcycles, to turbo'd drag cars. Amsoil has always performed the best for me.

Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont think going to synthetic oil is majic cure all,you should still change it at regular intervals, say every 5000 miles instead of 3000.also we have torn down several 10000 mile between oil changes motors on gm vehicles that have used synthetic oils & insides were a mess.got a cts v6 apart rite now that went 13000 miles between changes with less than 50000 miles on the clock & the crank & rods & pistons & cams are junk, everything sludged like an old tractor.seen it several times.some experts say that rotella (shell)is a good diesel oil.regular maintence is the key to long lasting motors . also on motorcycles with a wet clutch ,motorcycle speciffic semi synthetic oils are best .
    Last edited by gary slagle; 12-10-2010 at 08:40 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have to use a good filter if your going to extend service milage. I used one from GM Performance cat, Wix also make a few. If better filters not available should change filter a 5,000 miles, my dad has been doing this with his BMW's for 26yrs and never had a problem.

Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wally world super tech full syn.... 17 bucks for 5 quarts. 198,000 on my 97 chevy 4x4. it will still smoke the tires.
    154,000 on 2003 chevy suburban 4x4. can beat it. jmo

roy
    93 xr 2001 drag with a 15" drag
    92 xb 2002 comp with a 15" drag
    R.I.P. Phil "rpm racing" Watch over the rest of us my friend.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son had a Hot Rod mustang that was running Mobil 1 , he converted to Royal Purple and like 10 miles after the switch the motor lost oil pressure, pulled the oil pan off and the oil pump screen was completely clogged , the RP oil had turned to something that looked like a jelly fish, I wouldn't run it ( Royal Purple ) just because of its the reaction to the slight residue of Mobile 1 left in his system....

my .02
    Jay
    Jay @ JSRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All engines use oil. Just because the level does not drop on the dipstick, it does not mean the engine is not using oil. The oil being used is being replaced with byproducts of the combustion process. That is why the level does not change much.

The biggest influence on your gas mileage is your right foot, not the oil. If you put cow magnets on the sides of your fuel line, and thought that would improve your gas mileage, it probably would, because you would drive differently.

I am not a big fan of putting a purple dye in a oil as a sales gimmick.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Smith View Post
    My son had a Hot Rod mustang that was running Mobil 1 , he converted to Royal Purple and like 10 miles after the switch the motor lost oil pressure, pulled the oil pan off and the oil pump screen was completely clogged , the RP oil had turned to something that looked like a jelly fish, I wouldn't run it ( Royal Purple ) just because of its the reaction to the slight residue of Mobile 1 left in his system....

my .02
    Jay
    I've done that change a few times on my own stuff with zero issues, when you posted that a couple (few) years ago I asked around to a lot of people who know a lot more than me and I got a blank stare or was asked what else he put in the oil. Last summer we converted my fathers z-vette over to RP and we all know what they came with from the factory. My Trans Am has had Mobil one in it a few times, as did my truck, my GF's mom's new Caddy etc. Sounds fishy to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast