Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Skeert myself REAL bad today........

After changing both of my O/B lower units' oil, my tractor engine oil, and my little Honda O/B crankcase oil, I drained it all from my catch-all pan into my storage tank. After I drained my catch-all pan, I noticed LOTS of metal shavings!!!! Egads, what motor? What lower unit? Took me several minutes remembering what I did all weekend to figure it out.

I finally remembered that I had the bright idea to drill some 3/16" holes into the bottom of my tractors' oil filter so that most of the oil would drain into the pan instead of all over the tractor frame when I unscrewed it (horizontal filter location). Those metal shavings were just oil filter case shavings that fell into the pan when I drilled the filter. WHEW! what a relief.

Anyone else scare themselves lately??
    Nothing fast right now
    My URL
    Checkmate boats message forum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WHOA!

I can't think of any stories to tell right now but I can imagine the scare you had when you saw those metal pieces.

------------'82 Vector - Mercury 2.4 Bridgeport "MOD"
    "Life is short - Get there fast...MERCURY"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was on the way back from the ByuBoyz Season Finale when I noticed the bow of my XB2002 poping up when I hit bumps, I-10 in Louisiana is so smooth . I pulled over to notice the "winch line" stiching had unraveled and left the webbing on the winch and the hook in the bow hook.

I thank the Lord above I always check my mirrors and caught it before it got bad.
    I now have added getting a safety chain to connect from my bow eye to trailer to my things to do to my trailer list. If y'all don't have one I recommend installing one.
    -----------------------
    93 STV Mod VP/MERC 2.5 200
    -----
    The Bible is life's instruction manual.

Proverbs 4:18-20

" For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."
    -- John F. Kennedy 1962

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man !!!!!

JW yeh that would have me a lil worried too ....... Good thing ya
    have a good memory ....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey CDave....

I always use a safety strap on my bow hook just for those such instances. Good thing you saw it. What a mess that could have been.

------------'82 Vector - Mercury 2.4 Bridgeport "MOD"
    "Life is short - Get there fast...MERCURY"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what is better is when the...

when the winch latch disengages and the strap doesnt break with no rear tiedowns and you are now dragging a 30'+ Fountain sport fisher with a pair of new 225 down highway 264 at 65 mph.
    thanks to the good lord it wasnt me. it came into one of the local shops.

broke both motor bracket mounts and added a padbottom

bow stayed on the last set of rollers (strap was to short)

damage to the motors was a little over 15K
    new stuff from the powerheads down
    didnt get any pictures but i can assure you all my boats now have tie downs along with a bow line tied to the trailer frame.
    Loyd T. Sawyer
    Colonial Heights, VA
    "Enjoying the endless beach of Iraq"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink Towing FUN

A few years back a friend asks me to tow his Stream.

Its nite and its dark..

I go to hook it up and ask him what size hitch ball…he says “just the standard”,

Since I owned this boat previously I knew it was 1 7/8” ( when I owned it) so on it went, on my 1 7/8” ball.

I notice there is no safety chain…so I put a flimsy little chain I had in the back of my truck on it.

Cool all is well and I just picked up speed to get on the highway on ramp.

Get her up to 70 then I hear this awful metal sound, sounding like some thing is dragging along the concrete.

I thought the motor fell off the back of the boat and we were dragging it by the steering cables.

The truck feels like some one thru out an anchor out the back…

Then it hit me….

and I turn to my buddy and say …

2” Ball!!

Lucky for the flimsy safety chain.

We were on slight down grade so it was a little tuff to get the boat trailer unstuck from under the truck

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an excerpt from my "North to Alaska" article I wrote on the IHR. http://www.hydrostream.org/ArticleArchives/Alaska.htm. I was towing my new Virage from JW's house in Mi. to Seattle using my brothers '85 Jeep CJ-7.

As I was getting back on the freeway after a fuel stop just before Minn. / St. Paul, I felt the rear of the Jeep shift. I looked in the rear view mirror and everything looked normal. (Clue #1 to stop and look) While going through the twin cities Sunday afternoon I heard a squeaking coming from the hitch area. (Clue #2 ) When I pulled into the next gas station, I felt another shift in the rear of the Jeep. End of part one. (Too many characters)

Ron Pratt
    '91 Virage "The LAST Virage" 15" 280
    26' Grady White "fish getter"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I walked around the back to see what was up. The bouncing of the Jeep sheared off the hitches mounting bolts on the right side and it was hanging out about two feet and 6" from the ground. After I regained my composure, I replaced one of the two bolts that had broken, checked the two bolts on the left side that were surely stressed, and had to give up on the second right side bolt as it was threaded into the frame. This was Sunday afternoon / early evening and the station attendant said no one was open to help me out. I put the safety chains on the bumper and used the rope I had to tie the hell out of the hitch.I had to limp to a truck stop and have it welded up. The worst thing was that my insurance only covered the boat and trailer when it was attached to the jeep. I would have been screwed if it came off!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image001.gif  

Ron Pratt
    '91 Virage "The LAST Virage" 15" 280
    26' Grady White "fish getter"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Towed my boat to the rondak romp. Stopped at the last station before the exit to check stuff out and get gas. The boat had shifted back about 4 inches and thats why it was hell to deaccelerate at high speed, wag the tail.
    I had taken the rope off the winch and re-wound it. There was slack now so the rope let out. There was tie downs on the back which stopped the boat and a heavy rope on the bow, but it didn't really get tight.
    Tounge weight is normally about 30 lbs so this put the tounge in the negative.
    I'm not putting a chain or anything flexible on the bow, I'm putting a steel rod on the bow to trailer. ^ shaped like that so it can't go forwd or back.
    '90 STV
    '96 260
    under construction

for far too long