Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing he did with the prop was to give it more cup.
    He told me that when he worked at Mercury they didn't learn to cup the prop as much as he do now after he moved back to Norway.
    I can see the cup starts already from the hub and out,but all the other Mercury Marine Lab props I have the cup don't start so much from the hub,but longer out on the trailing edge.
    I guess it hold the water better that way.
    But he did a lot of testing to find the right amount of cup.
    To much cup made it worse than standard so its not just start bending with out knowing what your doing :-)
    Toffen, take the trip to Kristiansand to day. I'm going out to jump the seas of Queen Mary 2.
    Not often we have that large cruise ships in this parts of Norway. Lets show them we can Scream and fly :-)
    Last edited by Patos; 08-12-2011 at 07:01 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!

Thanks I saw the cruiseship today. The bridge was taller than the highest hotel in town... Jeez.

I have run the propshaft approx 2,5 inch below. I will jack 0,5 inch higher. The prop holds the height very well. It all depends on the water pressure will follow. The labbed mirage plus only managed 2,75 inch below, before it started crabbing. Not a funny experience. The a45 Tempest keep hold well 2,5 below. But the rev4 has been 2 mph faster.

When the conditions are good I will travel to my favourite spot and jack high. 81 mph should be within reach. We are also now close to the gearcase limit before blow out, so I do not want to push it too far. I am more than happy and suprised over the engines power.

Cheers Toffen

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so Toffen do you think the Rev4 will be the best for you? What is the beam and deadrise of the Phantom?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Phantom25 augustA.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	240568Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Phantom25 augustB.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	240569

Hi,

At this point the Rev4 is he best prop with good margin A45 Tempest is a good second. I will try a Hering 4bl, but Brett at BBlades did not think it will give me enough lift. So hopefully I can buy the prop fra Patos, and cut the tube for 1 magic mph higher speed. Then we are at 81 mph - a good 5-6 mph increase over the Promax 300 SVS. I am happy with that.

The boat is a classic offshore hull. No steps, no notch. The beam is approx. 5 feet only. Lenght 25 feet. I am not sure about the deadrise. Approx. 22-23 degrees I think. Large and solid negative chines.

Cheeers, Toffen
    Last edited by Toffen; 08-15-2011 at 11:02 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always wait to tell the price of my props.
    If they are happy with the test, I dobbel the price.
    This Rev4 seems to be a good one :-D

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok Toffen, that boat is COOL but it does not look like 5' beam at all. Are you saying that the widest point in the Phantom is only 60" ? It looks like more like 72" at the widest? At 60" it would be tough to have the space between the bucket seats at all. I am glad that the
    Rev4 is good for you, I thought it would be.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Cool Patos I should not written that one!

Greg G: The width is at max 160 centimeter incl the rubrail, which translates to 5,5 feet. Its more like 155 centimeter between the hull sides, which translates to 5,08 inches.

Cheeers, Toffen

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, 63" or 5'3" at the widest point, that is very interesting. I don't think there is a US built performance hull that is that narow a beam never mind a 25 footer. We need to learn from Norway!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Akter1.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	240588Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Phantom25 augustC.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	240589

Hi!

Thanks However, Phantom is a UK design by Steve Baker. You will get lots of info at www.boatmad.com. There are the Phantom fans. A Norway design called Gilbert 21 is even more narrow, but this boat is not 25 feet.

Cheeers! Toffen
    Last edited by Toffen; 08-15-2011 at 04:06 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!

Here is the video in HD http://vimeo.com/28111717

We first cruised in 60 mph with jackplate all way down, thats the reason for the spray behind the transom. It looks like rostertail, but it is not. I have looked behind I have tested with jackplate one inch higher, but I loose speed. From 2,25 the speed goes up to 70 mph + and I jacked up the engine 1,5 inches. The last part is 80 mph with a great flow and angle in the boat. But then it was over as we suddenly approached inshore. I will post another video filmed from the boat. I will get it out soon

Cheeers, Toffen

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried a Fury? I used to run a 28 tempest until I tried the fury. Now run a 26 fury, same top speed, same rpm but accelerates harder (as it's 2 pitches smaller obviously. And gets as little as 6% slip.) Have you also looked at the outboard modified bravo props? These may really suit the high torque the verado offers? I did try a full size bravo 1 on my 300xs however it struggled with the huge diameter of the prop.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!

Thanks for the suggestions I think the Rev4 is a better choice than the Bravo as it gives lots of lift, both bow and transom, but I will try to get hold of a 26 pitch Bravo. The Fury I will also try to get hold of. Not easy in Norway where you need to buy to try..

I will shorten the exhaust tube of the Rev4 this week. I have been told that this should give me approx. 1 mph extra.

There is no need of PVS on my 350 sci as the torque turns everything. However, I wonder if the open PVS holes steal speed? I have no problem turning a prop with all PVS holes plugged. Some say plugging all is faster, other say that no plugs at all are faster. I will test to be sure. Any experiences here?

I have also expereriences a sort of blow out with the gearcase caused of what I think is a combination of high transom height, gearcase crabbing and too much positive trim. It was like being hit by a small wave from starboard. I tested the positiv trim on flat water the other day with the Rev4. Normally the rpm increase if you overtrim, but here you got the starboard hit..

I also experienced that the Mirage Plus prop did not like to semisurf. If too high, it lifted the transom and the boat moved little sidewise.... I did not experience this with the torquemaster gearcase, but the speed was lower then.

Maybe the bigger 5,44 is more sensitive to high transom height than the torquemaster 4,88 case. And it start acting weird. Thats the only down side I can find for the moment about the 350 sci. I still learning about the new setup, so I am sure I will hit the sweet spot in the end.

Cheeers, Toffen
    Last edited by Toffen; 08-29-2011 at 03:43 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet Vid Toffen, what boat was filming (Skater ?)
    ARGO Cat 18'
    Mercury 2.4EFI/CLE
    ------------------------------------
    If it's not a cat it's a.............dog ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!

Motion 25. Its Espens

Cheeers, Toffen

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice video! I really like the looks of that 350sci, which is funny because I think the other 6cyl Verado's are the ugliest outboards ever produced.

You have a very sweet combo there Toffen. Thanks for all the updates
    Allison XB2002 Comp Pro / 2.6L Yamaha 200 VMAX TRP

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast