Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DSRA pro gas

Is it true dsra pro gas is putting 180 pounds between omc v6s and mercury v6s?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch!
    Tony Brucato

(919) 718-0249

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats what i have heard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IT is TRUE !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its 180 between the big block OMC's and the 2.5. The weight is the same for the big block Merc and the big block OMC. The weight sounds like a bunch to me but time will tell if the two combo's are competitive with each other.
    Erik Kiser

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what you are saying Erik, is I can run a 2.7 or a 3.0 omc and run the same weight as a Merc 2.5 and 2.7 stroker? I did not understand it that way. The way I understood it if you run an omc v6 you weigh 1430. I use to think the omc was faster, but now it is in writing that a merc 2.5 and 2.7 stroker must weigh 180 pounds lighter to compete with an omc! I must be missing something. I never claimed to be that smart.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't say for sure cause I didn't go to the meeting but when they came up with the weight in Gas they were not thinking about 2.7 or 3.0 OMC's. They put a weight on there to cover the big OMC's running on Motec that guys like Nick and Dave Bush run. I don't race the class so I'm talking from a spectator's point of view. I'm glad there doing something with the weights to try to get Gas to return. DSRA didn't run a Pro Gas class all year until Gulfport. If you don't keep the Drag motor competitive with the OMC's it'll be hard to build a class, too many people still use Mercury Drag motors. With that being said I'd like to see the racing be competitive. If that means getting the weight differential down to 125 then so be it. If it works out that 180 is right then great. Hopefully the weight can be revised after a couple of races if it turns out to be a mismatch. I run a Mercury but I'm not necessary loyal to the brand. If I had the means to build one of the big OMC's then I'd have one on my boat. Since the weights are the same for the big block Mercury it looks to have more to do with cubic inches than brands. Just my opinion
    Last edited by patchesII; 11-15-2010 at 12:41 PM.
    Erik Kiser

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is a huge step in the wrong direction. This was always supposed to be the an "engine builders class". One that sparks ingenuiety and thinking outside the box. All this is gonna do is turn it into Modified Production Light and you should call it as such. Was a weight break for the 2.5 needed? Sure it was, but to go from a 50 pound difference to 180 between the 2.5 and a big block and to go from 125 pound difference to 265 between the 2.5 and the V8 is just careless. If you want it to be a Mercury 2.5 class again than just say so but don't call it a move towards parity.........and you damn sure shouldn't call it Pro Gas.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what they're gonna print in the rule book but generally speaking, 3.0 litre was the cuttoff. Under 3 = lighter weight; 3+ = heavier weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie Webb View Post
    So what you are saying Erik, is I can run a 2.7 or a 3.0 omc and run the same weight as a Merc 2.5 and 2.7 stroker? I did not understand it that way. The way I understood it if you run an omc v6 you weigh 1430. I use to think the omc was faster, but now it is in writing that a merc 2.5 and 2.7 stroker must weigh 180 pounds lighter to compete with an omc! I must be missing something. I never claimed to be that smart.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you gonna run any Gas this year Harry?
    Erik Kiser

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know. I've been planning on switching to alcohol but doesn't sound like there'll be an option to run that in the class. Even if there was an option at 50 more lbs, not sure how I feel about carrying 310lbs of lead. I don't like the new weight but also don't feel like I should have a say in the matter since I've never run Progas and didn't attend the rules meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by patchesII View Post
    Are you gonna run any Gas this year Harry?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Last year everyone was worried about the "bush rules" rumor now its more like leach rules
    Quartershot T-3R 15" 3.5L E-Tec 1.62 Sportmaster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At every race this year the spectators came up to tell me that they came to see the omc's run and loved to see them win. The merc guys have the same style p.o.s. That we have had to work with for many years. If it is going to be a pro gas class then that what it should be a "pro" calss. Not what can i buy off the truck and go race with. Witch if you noticed merc no longer has a truck at the races and no longer make the drag engines.
    If you want to slow your boat down then go rope race. You should not expect us to go slower just because you cant keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by patchesii View Post
    i can't say for sure cause i didn't go to the meeting but when they came up with the weight in gas they were not thinking about 2.7 or 3.0 omc's. They put a weight on there to cover the big omc's running on motec that guys like nick and dave bush run. I don't race the class so i'm talking from a spectator's point of view. I'm glad there doing something with the weights to try to get gas to return. Dsra didn't run a pro gas class all year until gulfport. If you don't keep the drag motor competitive with the omc's it'll be hard to build a class, too many people still use mercury drag motors. With that being said i'd like to see the racing be competitive. If that means getting the weight differential down to 125 then so be it. If it works out that 180 is right then great. Hopefully the weight can be revised after a couple of races if it turns out to be a mismatch. I run a mercury but i'm not necessary loyal to the brand. If i had the means to build one of the big omc's then i'd have one on my boat. Keep in mind also that the president of dsra runs an omc so i don't think this was some vendetta against omc's. Since the weights are the same for the big block mercury it looks to have more to do with cubic inches than brands. Just my opinion

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I applaud DSRA for making a change to try to field a Pro Gas class in 2011. They didn't even have a class the way the rules were written. Maybe 2 boats make up a class for some but I'm sure DSRA would like to see more entries. Like it or not thats gonna take keeping a Drag motor in the mix. In my opinion this was a move to keep a class viable or watch it fade into oblivion under poor turnout
    BTW Sam, I was one of those that commended you on your boat after watching it run in Thomasville. As far as me expecting ya'll to slow down cause I can't keep up, I think I stated I don't run that class. I posted from the point of a spectator that would like to see some close racing in a fast class. I don't really care which motor wins. I'm not partial!!!!!!!!
    Erik Kiser

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jenksam View Post
    At every race this year the spectators came up to tell me that they came to see the omc's run and loved to see them win. The merc guys have the same style p.o.s. That we have had to work with for many years. If it is going to be a pro gas class then that what it should be a "pro" calss. Not what can i buy off the truck and go race with. Witch if you noticed merc no longer has a truck at the races and no longer make the drag engines.
    If you want to slow your boat down then go rope race. You should not expect us to go slower just because you cant keep up.
    I hear ya!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast