Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I need a thin slow cure epoxy.

I finally figured out why my epoxy on my nosecone keeps blistering. When Eagle One installed the nosecone, he did not fill or cap off the speedometer pickup tube passage. Salt water sat in the pickup passage and corroded away at the aluminum causing blisters. I found this when I blew air in through one of the blisters and water shot out the top of the lower unit where the speedo pickup fitting would have been. I drained 8oz of salt water out of there! Also did not fill the cavity at the front of the lower unit but blocked the drains. Lucky it didn't bust when it froze here last winter.
    So....I need to fill this passage with a thin slow cure epoxy so it gets down and seals any little areas. I have a bottle of Mas epoxy with fast cure hardener but when I mix up 8 oz it will kick off very fast. Nobody around me sells Mas. Can use a slow cure hardener from West with my Mas? What can I do to thin it out. I need it almost like water. Should I just get a bottle of Git Rot and use that? I hate to drop $50 on git rot if there is a cheaper alternative.
    13' Biel tunnel AKA "Flight Risk"
    13" Modified Yamaha V4 - 101 mph

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't tried the West hardner with MAS, but I don't think it will work, for one the ratio's are different, but I suspect the fomulation is different as well. MAS does make a slow and med cure hardner and MAS is one of the thinner general puprose epoxies around, so ordering the slow cure might be the best bet.

If you want something really thin, look at CPES epoxy - It flows almost like water (loaded with solvents that flash off when used to seal wood, not sure how it would work in the close section of your lower though), it's used a lot and you should be able to find more info out there. - If you want to try that, I have more then enough left over from my last project and can make you a good deal.

There are also various postings about thinning epoxy - google

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I didnt think west Marine carried Mas but it looks like they do. I wil probably just go get some slow hardener if they have it in stock. Will look into thinning. Thanks.
    13' Biel tunnel AKA "Flight Risk"
    13" Modified Yamaha V4 - 101 mph

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i got some call me or ill be at the shop in the am till who knows

https://www.facebook.com/scott.steffe

Replacement Fiberglass Windshields For just about every hydrostream
    Fiberglass Seat Shells 18 wide high backs, 18 wide barrel backs and 23 wide big boy barrel backs

call 941-575-8914 with any questions

7 to 3pm 5 days a week
    Custom Fiberglass and Paint
    In Business since 1984

for sale

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never good to mix products from different manufacturers. West Systems is very good epoxy, I use it exclusively here in New Zealand. Maybe mix it up as straight epoxy resin for the liquid you require. Use slow hardener and slightly warm the resin before you apply it. (Stand container in hot water). This will help it run on application. You can always apply it with a syringe. Always mix with a large footprint to help it not to exotherm (cookup). Just add glue powder to the resin for sticking the nose cone on. Make sure you get a slow hardener and mix resin and hardener in accurate quantities. Everything needs to be very clean, no paint or other residues.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you use a syringe to inject it into the cavity? If so a regular epoxy may do the job.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hometown45 View Post
    Could you use a syringe to inject it into the cavity? If so a regular epoxy may do the job.
    Yes you can. The way we repair a cored hull that has cavities is to drill a number of holes into the cavity and using a syringe inject resin till it comes out the other holes. We then know that the cavity is filled with resin so we then seal the holes with screws and wait for the resin to set.