Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Gilmore View Post
    Yes, it had the Alison steel plate & I really don't remember what size/kind of Washers all installed by Allison @ the factory. Scott
    Im still confused was it a plate or a washer or ???? ,dont mean to be a pain in the azz,just what to know what to look for .....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AMERICANRAM View Post
    Im still confused was it a plate or a washer or ???? ,dont mean to be a pain in the azz,just what to know what to look for .....
    Go to the link on Allison owners .............I'm now starting to waste my time. Scott
    I'll be @ the bar ! & Listen to MORE Squarepusher !! Alcohol TYCOON !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to the link on Allison owners .............I'm now starting to waste my time. Scott
    I was at the Allison owners site and could not find anything about this problem....I been following this link from the beginning it it seem this problem only happen to you ,I guess the rest of us are lucky..it sure would be helpful if you could tell us just what pulled through the transom,being you were the only person this happen to.....I dont what to waste your time just would be nice to get a correct anwser..but if you dont remember..I guess you just dont remember..Ill just keep a close EYE on my transom to make sure the bolts stay in place.....lol....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurningBurning View Post
    I was at the Allison owners site and could not find anything about this problem....I been following this link from the beginning it it seem this problem only happen to you ,I guess the rest of us are lucky..it sure would be helpful if you could tell us just what pulled through the transom,being you were the only person this happen to.....I dont what to waste your time just would be nice to get a correct anwser..but if you dont remember..I guess you just dont remember..Ill just keep a close EYE on my transom to make sure the bolts stay in place.....lol....
    Try this http://forum.allisonowners.com/showthread.php?t=1976 & I wasn't the only person this happened to. Scott
    I'll be @ the bar ! & Listen to MORE Squarepusher !! Alcohol TYCOON !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there was a way to pull the motor off of a GrandSport without hitting something, I should have found it by now with close to 100 bat-turns.

There is a crack that appears where the hole was bored for the rear boarding hand rail has been fixed by Jack twice and once by me [Bat-turn-itis].

I have also shredded the Allison setback plate [3" crack] years ago.

There had to be something wrong with the bolts or the "build" to that particular transom[s].

"Confidence" is that wonderful feeling you had right before you fully understood your true situation.- Unknown
    I don’t know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they terrify me.- Duke of Wellington
    “I am not afraid of an Army of lions lead by a sheep; I am afraid of sheep lead by a lion.” – Alexander the Great
    Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.-Douglas MacArthur

Allison GSE 300XS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JR IN JAX View Post
    There had to be something wrong with the bolts or the "build" to that particular transom[s].
    I'd have to agree. Do any other Allison models have a fully closed transom where the upper mounting bolts are hidden?

As far as what to look for...here ya go. Mine is a 1995 hull and there was nothing on the inside of my transom (or outside btw) other than the welded tabs on the bolts. When I called Bill about the recall issue, he sent me a new inside back plate (approx 3" wide and long enough to span past both upper bolts) along with an outer black 1/8" plate to mount between the jack plate and transom. The kit includes new 9/16" uppers but I had already had them installed.

Only issue I have had on mine is similar to what others have mentioned. I have sheared a couple of the 1/2" bolts hence the reason I already had the new 9/16" uppers. I wish I had already known about the recall at that time, because the new bolts cost me $100.
    2006 Spectre 24' SCS
    2020 Mercury 300 ProXS

2001 Allison XB2003
    2006 Mercury 250XS

1988 22' Velocity (sold)

1995 Allison Grand Sport (sold)
    1998 Mercury Stock 2.5-260 SS

1990 Velocity 30' - 502's (sold)

Go Daddy Go! Racing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At one time, there was a problem with some bolts. Burley Mears also did it swapping ends at a race at Clifton, Tn. Allison recalled the boats which might have had the poblem and replaced the bolts.
    I never heard of any more problems with it. I also belive the XT-21 was always a non wood tansom.
    Ray Neudecker Over The Hill Gang Outboard Racing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try this http://forum.allisonowners.com/showthread.php?t=1976 & I wasn't the only person this happened to. Scott
    I seen this link at Allisons owners....This link just talks about the repair....and no one at this link said that they had the same problem you had.....who are these other people this happen to.... to be honest you keep making statement you can not back up.... so put up the facts to back up what your sayin ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurningBurning View Post
    I seen this link at Allisons owners....This link just talks about the repair....and no one at this link said that they had the same problem you had.....who are these other people this happen to.... to be honest you keep making statement you can not back up.... so put up the facts to back up what your sayin ...
    There was obviously enough concern for Allison to offer the kit to current owners. I am the 2nd owner on my 1995 GS and Bill sent me the kit, no questions asked for nothing (FREE) about 2-3 years ago. The parts included from Allison are not cheap. As I mentioned previously, I bought my new bolts from them prior to my knowledge and it cost me $100 for 4 bolts ($60 for the 9/16", & $40 for the 1/2")

Bottom line is, if you have any concern with bolts pulling out on your GS, call Allison and get the kit. Most likely, with or without the upgrade you'll never have a problem. (JR is a prime example)
    2006 Spectre 24' SCS
    2020 Mercury 300 ProXS

2001 Allison XB2003
    2006 Mercury 250XS

1988 22' Velocity (sold)

1995 Allison Grand Sport (sold)
    1998 Mercury Stock 2.5-260 SS

1990 Velocity 30' - 502's (sold)

Go Daddy Go! Racing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mirage243 View Post
    Thought I would make it five times. Just in case somebody didn't read it.
    I just happened to see this...

As anybody with a newer Allison knows, the bolts are installed in a way that the dealer doesn't even have the opportunity to put a washer on the inside of the boat - they're essentially studs coming out of the back of the boat. Allison uses a plate or washer glassed in on the inside and when they went from 1/2" to 9/16" bolts, they didn't increase the size of that rigging on the inside of the boat. It's only a 1/16" difference, but apparently that smaller shoulder area made a difference. We have rigged hundreds of boats built for the most extreme conditions so if anybody would like to question my Dad or my Brother's ability to rig a high performance boat, I would GLADLY put their abilities up against anybody on the planet.

That being said, Scott's Grandsport was case #1 of this happening. It was Allison (specifically Jim Barnes) who alleged Scott was running it through Lake Michigan. They originally denied the warranty claim. However, after several more incidents, they realized that the problem lied with the top two bolts and their increase in diameter. So, the legendary "GrandSport Kit" was issued to dealers.

I've never heard of it or encountered it with any boat other than the GrandSport. I don't remember the XTB-21 being built when they went to the 9/16" bolt so it shouldn't be a problem. If you have the 1/2" bolts - none of those boats had problems as far as I know.

THAT being said, if the nuts on the engine side loosen up over time, it can cause the motor to flop back and forth which could theoretically create enough force to pull the bolts through or break them. Check the nuts from time to time to make sure they're tight.
    Sam Baker
    On to the next project....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK here goes I will try to explain what I have found out, First of all Allison has not always had a rot free transom, the xtb21 had wood transom and the hull being composit on the early by early i mean 86,87 due to the cracks that is in the interior of mine, I have also had a gentleman on this site said they had 1 or the 1st 2002 in 90 and it had a wood transome,andhis friend also had a 2002 with wood. I no nothing about bolts on the GS so i will stick to the problem i had, I researched Allison before purchasing mine and on the website under history there is 2 headers the first-
    <LI class=first>
    1. All composite (no-rot) bass boat (1986)
    1. In early bass boats, wood was common, rot was common, especially transoms. Darris made up his mind to build his customers a trouble free, rot-proof boat. Now Allison bass boats will last a lifetime and more!

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>//Syntax: var uniquevar=new animatedcollapse("DIV_id", animatetime_milisec, enablepersist(true/fase), [initialstate] )var collapse042=new animatedcollapse("fst42", 1000, true)</SCRIPT>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Composite (no-rot) transom (1986)
    <SPAN=FIRST>Allison has now had a composite (Rot-proof) transom for over 20 years. It still is the only transom with a structural aluminum internal frame. Not only rot proof, but the strongest in the industry, hands down

now that i have that there, I found a xtb-21 86 model not the prettiest chic at the dance but i figured with a composit hull, and composit no rot transom that if she had a good heart,hull that a little bit of tlc this winter and i would have a sweet 86 21 to be proud of, the first 3 times out was great, i had a blast driving it and it had a great ride, the 4th i decided to stretch her legs and run it across the sound and 20 or so miles up the river, I sat her down in the water poped a beer lit a cig and sat up on the deck in my fishin seat and enjoyed my beer, when i went to put it back on water it stood straight up and stayed there so i let the gas go looked around at motor and rear looked to be riding a little low so i figured it had some water in it for some reason, flipped on bilge that went to pumping water and so decided to put on plain while the water pumped out and get to a sandbar to check out the leak, upon mashing gas again a big bang motor transome( the whole transome)left me and was hanging under boat by cables, boat sank. So this was what i was after to find out why allison has 86 being rot free all composit and there wood

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that i have that up there, I am not tryin to be say Allison builds shoty boats, I happed to think they build the best looking boat and from the website and talking with other Alli owners a great and dependable boat, I know i purchased a 25 year old boat but paid good money for it because it was an allison, I was just looking for peace of mind about the wood transom and loosing my boat and sweet running motor that is no good anymore. I called and spoke to Bill at Allison and he said i need to speak with Darris and maybe he could help me, I called back this morning and Bill told me to call back around 3 and Darris should be there, I tried to call back and phone stayed busy until after closing. Am gonna try again tomorrow and soon as i speak with the Gentleman I will be glad to post what i am told. If nothing else comes from this maybe someone who is looking for an Allison and never owned one will know for sure which ones had a wood transome so they can check out the older ones if they start to purchase one and know to check out the transom to make sure it is solid instead of beliving they have a composit one and not loose there boat and motor like i did.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a total bummer. Did the previous owner tell you it had a composite transom? If so, you may have a claim against him/her. That's definitely not true. Sorry you had such a horrible experience.
    Sam Baker
    On to the next project....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well to be honest i didnt ask because the web site said 86 all composit hull,transom so its my baby to deal with, Oh and i do want an allison lookin for a nice all composit 2003 all composit I say hehe. Just cant understand why the web site says 86 all composit and was wood ya know.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast