Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Powercat View Post
    One of the last marathons my dad ran is probably not known to many of you outside Texas. Rich's mention
    of the Glastrons running twins reminded me of it. The race was from Corpus Christi to Brownsville and follows
    the Intercoastal canal down the Texas coast probably about 150 miles. This was around 1964 and in
    those days much of that part of Texas was uninhabited and was part of the King Ranch estate. In those years
    we did a lot of our testing of boats in the intercoastal around Port Lavaca, and Port O'conner area. The canal
    can go from super slick smooth water in the protected areas, to rougher than a cob, open bays that if the wind
    whips up can turn to 6ft chop. My dad and a couple other Power Cats were running with 4pt and 3pt hydros
    betting on the speed advantage in smooth water over the guys running the Glastron V's. Well we had our head
    handed to us by the Glastron team as the rough water sections made up about 80 of the 150 miles.
    I remember how quiet that drive home from Brownsville was and that was the last race my dad ran.
    Danny
    My 1965 16' Glastron was slighly slower than the 15 foot Powercat we raced the year before, but it could average faster laps on almost every race course. That boat was one of the fastest boats in the country and I would have been happy if the sport stayed right there....but time and progress are inevitable and we had to move up in speed with an Allison and then a couple of Eltros, before finally succumbing to the Devil's playtoys..... true tunnel hulls.

T2x
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Okay, but do you know when the Outboard Pleasure Craft races ended their designation as "Special Events" and convert to the newer "OPC" division of APBA? Those were the most magical of times. I was a kid looking up from outlaw hydro races in the northeast and yearning to drive one of those cats pictured in the article.
    Here are some pages from the Propeller, Feb 1962. You can see where the Council approved the transfer of pleasure craft racing from Special Events to the Stock Outboard Racing Commission, in August 1961. The biggest race in 1961 was the Six Hour at Lake X..I have the program, attached. Also attached is a copy of the results of that race, stating it was the First APBA OPC Race. Also attached if space permits, are two letters I received from APBA. The one dated Nov 9, 1961, referred to the Six Hour Race at Kissimmee in early 1961. The one dated Feb 5, 1962, refers to the Six Hour Race at Lake X, run under OPC Division Rules, or, the first APBA OPC Official race...These old papers are about to disintegrate, so have the lawyers on notice to handle with care if they want to petition them. I think all the questions about the first OPC race are now settled, and FLORIDA WINS..Sponsored by The MIAMI OUTBOARD CLUB..Also on Regatta Dates, we had another race on 4-1-1962 in Miami..

First page, program and letters on next post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0003.jpg   IMG.jpg   IMG_0002.jpg   IMG_0004.jpg   IMG_0001.jpg  

Last edited by lilabner; 01-21-2011 at 04:05 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opc

next post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0007.jpg   IMG_0006.jpg   IMG_0003.jpg   IMG_0005.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opc

Official (not fake) Letters with dates and words..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0010.jpg   IMG_0009.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilabner View Post
    South Florida Outboard Marathon Club was the club responsible for OPC being added to APBA, and was the first sanctioned OPC club.. Dave Craig, Herb Reeves and Phil Young, among others, were the driving force behind this. Of course Mr Kiekhaefer and Charlie Strang were twisting arms for us. Jimmy Jost was also a big player. I was one of the original members as was (then) Leonard Wolff.. The leaders worked pretty hard on it..
    We were just kids back then. Little did we know we would be pioneers!
    Charlie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well done....... Finally, we know where we came from. Now who can document when the Offshore Division was established....? Put down the bats and sticks...in spite of moronic quotes to the contrary, I am not writing a book....at least about this...

Thanks again Butch
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are quite welcome Rich..I was only funning, sometimes these discussions get blown into full fledged ego battles...I was glad I remembered I had something to that effect..I was also there around the start of Offshore, but I think Brownie (THE MAN) would be the first to have an answer..I was friends with Red Crise, and he was always around Tony Azzara, but he could be scary to a young fellow..

WORLD PEACE
    Last edited by lilabner; 01-21-2011 at 09:27 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn Butch. You really have it going on,,,,,,,,,,,,,, That grear stuff.......
    Great read on Jon Culver,,,,,,,, One tough genelman......... As a kid met his father Merlyn Culver. showed up in the first Jaguar XKE I had ever seen, took this kid for a ride,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Kiekhaefer was so jealous he went out amd puchased a Lamborghine Miura,,, Ya gotta love those guys they were both such chargers................

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some I think we have met before. During the Hey Day your were talking about was when my dad was racing. First twin he went with was a 17' Glastron, looked just like the pig, probably because Charlie was my dad's best friend and lived in our apatment building. To round out the glastron crew was one more in the JJ's, Roger Laudderman running with the Chrylser 105's. Grew up in Northern Ky. so I knew pretty much them all.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Sherlock View Post
    eeeeeekk, Mark I will have to look up the dates of OPC. I think I was older than 2, lol, when OPC got its start. Rich could give us the dates.

It may have been but I don't remember the Albany to NYC being called an OPC race.. OPC was started maybe late
    50's or early 60's. That was a long time ago. I ran Albany to NYC in 1964...........
    This shows the start of the Albany to NY Marathon. The inset is of my dad, Marty O'Neill, 1951 Class A winner. Magazine has tons of great info and photos.

http://www.boatsport.org/magpdf/bsv13.pdf

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing this thread, this is the first time a have ever read an article about this race.

My dad, Roy Ridgell raced in the St. Johns marathon race. And he stopped at my uncle (dad's brother-law) house near Palatka and refueled at his dock. My dad is no longer with us to ask, but I would be surprised if the race organizers did not have fuel support in Jacksonville.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster43 View Post
    Great pics from a July, 1959 magazine. I recall Olgator talking about this marathon, but I couldn't find the thread. There is a tanker truck at the turnaround. Did they refuel there?

12. Likes Mark75H liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dave Craig overall winner in Kissimmee marathon race.

Quote Originally Posted by lilabner View Post
    That was the first 6 Hour Race in Kissimmee, Fl. 1960. Just about everybody ran Speedmasters or Sportmasters. Olegator can fill in the blanks.That was his neck of the woods.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dave Craig wins Kissimmee race.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	458.8 KB 
ID:	394185

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dave Craig, Roy Ridgell, Tom Sheldon, Joe Anderson, George Thompson and Bobby Walwork

Class winners in the downtown Kissimmee marathon race.
    Dave Craig, Roy Ridgell, Tom Sheldon, Joe Anderson, George Thompson, and Bobby Walwork (left to right).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kissimmee boat race Winners & race boats photo..jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	402.7 KB 
ID:	394186

15. Thanks Mark75H thanked for this post
    Likes Mark75H liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone on here ever see Bob Walwork's scrapbooks? He has at least three just bulginh with photos and clippings - needs to have a thread - it would take someone a year to scan it all.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OLEGATOR View Post
    this was my first race. .
    Jim--was that the 'Toho' race?

If so--it was my cousin Robert Lanham that ran the fastest time in qualifying in the 44" class--I was leading that class when the bottom came off of the Rinehart 'step' hull---

there were no rules about air traps or steps--

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast