Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you hopefully can see from the pictures of main transfers for one cylinder on my "in the closet 88 115 block", there are no traces from secondary machinings, just the straight and smooth results from one mill operation to create each port opening. Any thing else I think would be an impression coming from the shapes of the castings.

Size of mill and port is, as suggested by "baldad45", a bit more than 7/16" though. From the tools I had at hand I would say mill size is 9/16" or very close to this, which is also port height.

A note on bleed restrictors:

I have seen the importance of the small plastic bleed restrictors in place in their channels being mentioned here and elsewhere in the past, as well as it is pointed out in the Merc Service Manual. However, of the three late inlines of mine that I have been into, there has not been one single bleed restrictor in place in any of these engines. And at least one of them, a 88 115 used on my boat until two years ago, was still a very good and reliable idler.

So either all fifteen of them small restrictors have came loose and been ingested by the engines or, more likely, there has never been any bleed restrictors in my holes. If you look at the bleed hole entrance in my pics above, you will see it appears someone (read Mercury) has hit it with a punch or something. And this is how all cyl 1 to 5 holes in my engines looked. I think the punch was done to create a restriction being small enough, and also one that will not fall out.

When I rebuilt my 84 power head I put plastic restrictors in though, probably unnecessary but they are indeed affordable and according to the parts list they should be there. But to do so I had to first clear the holes out (really a bit more than so) with a proper size drill bit. No improvement though compared to the 88 115.

PL
    Last edited by petlun; 02-27-2011 at 01:17 PM.