0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

93' Merc. 2.5 200 XRi (exploded piston)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GetAttachment3.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	4.8 KB 
ID:	216414Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GetAttachment.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	216413Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GetAttachment1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	216412Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GetAttachment4.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	216411I need some help with a a 93' Merc. 200XRi EFI, this is the 2.5 block. This motor has had some work done to it such as being bored .015 over with speed pro coated pistons, steel cage bearings, boyensen reeds, and a couple other little things, and previous me getting it, it had a Brucato PCU. I just bought the boat a week ago and I took it out for the first time Sunday and the #3 piston, second one down on the right side, came apart pretty bad. I'm pretty sure the ring came off of it first causing the problems. The piston is chewed up on the sides back to the ring seats, and part of the ring is stuck horizonatally into the piston. The head has a few dings in it but should still seal. I am not sure if I am going to just have to hone the block or get it sleeved. How deep can the grooves be and it still just get honed? I am also wondering what caused this one cylinder to go down, the motor never got above 160, and always had 12-16lbs of water pressure and I never ran it over 6000rpm. I have been reading post on here for years when I was running a 2.0 150 but never had the money to do anything, now I got this 2.5 on a Norriscraft that should be pretty quick and I blow her up first thing. If anyone has any advice for me on what I should do i'm open to any suggestions, or if there is anyone around Nashville, TN who knows these things I would greatly appreciate any help. Since I just bought the boat I dont have alot of money to throw at her right now I just want to get back out there and run it mainly but I want it to be right as well.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should also add that the oiler has been removed and the previous owner said he would mix it 40:1. Is that enough? I have always mixed my Mercs at 50:1 and let them smoke a little at idle. Also since I think I'm going to have to have to split the block to get it re-sleeved does anyone have any secrets when it comes to this? I have worked on plenty of car engines but never taken an outboard this far down. Also, if the other cylinders all look fresh and can still see the cross boring pattern on the cylinder walls, should I go ahead and replace the rings on all the pistons?
    89' 21 foot Norriscraft
    93' 2.5 200 XRi EFI Merc.

If you aint going fast then your wasting time!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give me a call ... 1 281 576 5088 cst

Jay
    Jay @ JSRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, thanks for all the information today! I will definately give you a shout if I have any questions. You know your stuff thats for sure! I wish I had the money to send my engine to you and let you do it right but my back pocket doesn't allow for that and law school right now. I am looking into getting the pistons top pinned and am sending off my injectors for sure! I also have a question about the ecu/pcu whatever it is called at this point. When I was running the motor the other day the fuel pump for the injectors quit running so I took a wire and took it from ground on the pump to ground to the block and it ran. I then started looking for problems and the ecu had come unplugged so it would turn over and not run. Would grounding the fuel pump have caused any problems in the ecu that would have caused the injector in this cylinder to quit therefore causing the cylinder to go dry? I am sending off the injectors but I dont know if I should get my ecu worked to make sure it is good and change the fuel curves as well? Thanks for all the help and I appologize for having to jump off the phone so quick, my boss was standing in my office.
    89' 21 foot Norriscraft
    93' 2.5 200 XRi EFI Merc.

If you aint going fast then your wasting time!