Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

One for the gearcase gurus.........

So ...I found this morning after my first "racing" weekend, albeit a nonsanctioned event, that I have experienced my first (of many I'm sure) mechanical failure. I spun my carrier in my 200 case about 70 degrees counter-clockwise from the 12 o'clock position it should have been in. The carrier has worn the right side (2 o'clock to 5 o'clock) of the case down .040 to .050 beyond the threads and actually into the side of the case behind where the carrier nut sits when torqued. This is a coned 200 case with a fresh seal kit all the way around and a brand spankin' new carrier nut. Everything in the case was in good shape upon reassembly a little over a week ago.....all gears, shims, carrier, shafts, keyway and key...etc etc, and I really don't think I would have missed this wear. I did a prop change for my last of 3 runs Saturday and carrier was in place prior to that run but when I changed back to my tall prop for the run back to the ramp, I didn't notice if it had spun.

I know running extremely high propshaft heights puts a huge side load on the carrier and case so I guess my question here is...... how do you make a 200 case live the way that most of us run them???? I check my gear religiously before and after every outing to catch things like this but I'll chalk this up to me being a rookie. Will pinning a carrier not only keep it from spinning but keep it centered in a case that has some wear behind the carrier nut or am I trying to bandaid something that should go in the trash??? I have heard that this is soemthing that can be built up, rethreaded and chased and still serve its purpose...thoughts??? Thanks for listening to my rambling as usual guys....

Jeff
    1976 Hydrostream Viper - 2.5 EFI
    Resto Thread Here
    2010 Go-Pro Stuff

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -G. K. Chesterton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Subscribed.
    I got a feeling this one could save me some money down the road.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've done this a bunch of times. You can try to "pin" the carrier with a stainless screw and nut, but if you can come up with an undamaged carrier to fit in there, and if it wobbles around the case is pretty much junk. I bandaided one up once with some stainless shim stock wrapped around the carrier and used loctite retaining compound on the nut. Your carrier probably went around more than once. That little keeper in that locates the carrier just is'nt enough to keep it in place surfacing it with a stock carrier and the little weenie bearing that the propshaft rides on. I went to using Bobs or Merc hi perf carriers with great sucess in stockie cases.

A lot of it IMO is how smooth you prop runs, and how well it is balanced. I've had a few props that were great, but would tear the sh*t right out of cases due to blade profile and the vibes of them going though the water. If your going down to Jasper with that thing you'd better get it straight, that is some looooooong distance running. Ill give you a ring in the A.M. and we'll set that thing up with a bottle too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny, mine started leaking milky oil this weekend!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the name of the place Curt used and I'll call today.
    Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rock.....
    Resto Thread Here
    2010 Go-Pro Stuff

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -G. K. Chesterton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's because you had that boat hanging on the ragged edge on Sat your run's looked super sweet Jeff.....looked a whole lot faster than the times/speeds you told me you ran. Boat looked beautiful ...love thecolor!

Chris
    God, Country, and Fast Boats
    SPECIAL BOAT TEAM 12/ HSB'S SOC NSWU-1

Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. And when your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that they weep and pray for more time that they may live there life over in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a Hero going home.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by specboatops View Post
    That's because you had that boat hanging on the ragged edge on Sat your run's looked super sweet Jeff.....looked a whole lot faster than the times/speeds you told me you ran. Boat looked beautiful ...love thecolor!

Chris
    Thanks Chris I've gotta give Rock the credit for loaning me his yamaha drag to get me 71.6 and into the $$$. In hindsight, it probably also helped finish off my gearcase...See you @ the Illinois run in Sept!

Thanks Lynn for the input. So my options at this point are to either pin a stock carrier in a good case right off the bat or go to a heavy duty carrier Bobs/CLE/Sporty correct???
    Resto Thread Here
    2010 Go-Pro Stuff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Put a beer can shim in it
    Living in the Freedom provided by Bud Conner and his fellow warriors.
    R.I.P. my Heathen Brother