Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Bill Sirois 1970 Havasu Winner

Need some help building a model of Bill Serois 1970 Havasu winner . What color was the boat is it black or dark blue and the stripes look pale blue from the pictures . I have the stackers built and the boat ready to paint , but I want to get as close as I can on the color. The 71 boat was red and blue I have it built with the cow bell twisters 1,s.

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Cowbells, Twisters or T-1's? 3 different motors dash 1 means the Twister update or 1972 Blue Twister

I bet you are doing red stripe Twisters

I don't even have a picture to go by for a reference for a real cowbell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im building the red stripe stackers I have the motors built , I needed the color of the Molinari hull that he won with in 1970. I believe the boat was dark blue or black? with a stripe running the length of the deck on both sides . Stripes looked to be light blue .but Im not sure. I have the boat for 1971 already built.with the T1s on it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What materials did you build the boats and motors out of? Would like to see some pics of your project!
    1970 15' Allison/135 Chrysler stacker
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pictures on Tunnel boat racing in the 70s web site .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark- There is one picture on OFF2010 reply # 61. It shows #998 Bill Sirois's "Up Up & Away", that won Havasu in 1971. It also shows a model boat # 141, which is Hiram "Mickey" Muecke's racing number from the early '70's. I think the # 141 is Earl Bentz's racing number from the mid '70's, but I stand to be corrected.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeet 2 View Post
    Pictures on Tunnel boat racing in the 70s web site .
    Thanks for the plug, Skeet 2. All of GoSeeTV/boatracing's video projects, along with accompanying blogs, are available for your viewing & reading pleasure on " Tunnel Boat Racing in the '70's The Havasu Story" site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Up, Up and Away.....

Need some help building a model of Bill Serois 1970 Havasu winner . What color was the boat is it black or dark blue and the stripes look pale blue from the pictures . I have the stackers built and the boat ready to paint , but I want to get as close as I can on the color. The 71 boat was red and blue I have it built with the cow bell twisters 1,s.
    The winner in 1970 was gloss black with light gray non-skid stripes that had a 1/4" red pinstripe on both side of the stripes. The power was the 1350 water injected stacker, red decals with speedmaster lower units.

The winner in 71 had a flat black cowl and nose. the deck was a red/orange (not a fire engine red) and had black non-skid stripes. It had 1/4 or 1/2" white pinstripes on both sides of the black stripes. This boat ran T1's (but still had red decals) in 71. It ran the cowbells in 1970 when it finished second as "Wet and Wild". Note the polished aluminum plates used to beef up the transom used on both boats, just a nice detail you might want to add. Ride guide steering for both boats and both were named "Up, Up and Away".

Here's some pics that might help. The first one is the 1971 winner in 1970 when Jim Merten drove it to a 2nd place finish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Merten - Havasu 1970.jpg   1971 Havasu Molly Ballou.jpg   1971 Havasu Sirois.jpg   Havasu 1970 060.jpg   Power Boat Mag 049.jpg  

Last edited by willabee; 09-07-2010 at 08:47 AM.

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Man that thing looks long in the second picture!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old man Nordskog bought the boat in the second pic and turned it into a winning KT boat. The other boat may have been turned into a KT also. I always thought KT was a cool class but I guess by the time you put a Nascar engine coupled to a Speedmater outdrive in it things got pricey!
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Up Up and Away(s).....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Poole ModVP View Post
    Old man Nordskog bought the boat in the second pic and turned it into a winning KT boat. The other boat may have been turned into a KT also. I always thought KT was a cool class but I guess by the time you put a Nascar engine coupled to a Speedmater outdrive in it things got pricey!
    The 1971 winner did become a KT, Bob Nordskog won the championship with that boat around 1975. He did have a KT that looked like the 1970 winner also, but it was a converted Glastron/Molinari. The 1970 winner received that "World Champion" paint job and went on a dealer tour for a year. We got it back in time for Havasu 71 and rigged it for Billy Don Pruett. He blew it over and hurt himself and the boat. I think it was towed back to Lake X after the race and then it just seems to disappear.

PS: Did you miss my shot about shutting the Chrysler off and gaining seven miles per on the triple offshore boat?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PB68&69 053.jpg   Power Boat Mag 144.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 08-23-2010 at 12:31 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was a shot? I thought you were serious! LOL!! If the slug was dragging it would run faster if it was shut down!
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to thank every one for the pictures and color of the hulls.I have the stackers almost ready I scrach built the tower housings and speedmasters , just need to put them together. Also have the twisters built for the 71 winner and they are together ready to hang them on the transom.I will start painting the 2 hulls the correct colors and have some pictures as soon as I finish.The boats are about 23 inches long ,its ashame there not 23ft long!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to thank every one for the pictures and color of the hulls.I have the stackers almost ready I scrach built the tower housings and speedmasters , just need to put them together. Also have the twisters built for the 71 winner and they are together ready to hang them on the transom.I will start painting the 2 hulls the correct colors and have some pictures as soon as I finish.The boats are about 23 inches long ,its ashame there not 23ft long!!!!
    You might want to sprinkle a little sand in the paint when you apply the stripes. That should give them that authentic rough, non-skid look. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bill Sirois , to me, was the most talented, imaginative and versatile boat racer of all time, and we became pretty good friends during our Offshore careers. Please do him proud.....he deserves it.
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast