User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Wentzville.MO 40 "miles west of St Louis"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with "seasoning" a LARGE cast iron kettle

I just bought a large 30 gallon cast iron kettle that I plan to use for making chili at our anual chili cookout party. and this one that I just bought yesterday hasen't been used in many years and has a good coating of rust on the inside of it. I'v been reading that the rust doesen't mean that the pot is ruiened or any thing, that it just needs to be cleaned up and re- seasoned a few times. But all the seasoning tips are for something the size that can be put into the oven for curing. So how can I get a good season on this 26" round 17" tall pot without filling it with 30 gallons of oil or lard and get it uniformaly hot all over EVENLY so that it don't crack?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kettle.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Season it on an open fire just like a frying pan, or use a turkey fryer burner.
    Blizz

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't fill it. All you need is a good even coating all over it. It is best to do it outdoors because of the smoke the seasoning will cause.

With normal size cast iron I season it on a gas grill. Ideally it is done with the pot upside down so the excess oil drips off and doesn't pool in the bottom of the pot.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember some one saying peanut oil was the best oil to use for seasoning.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check out online:sandpaper to remove the rust,wash with hot soapy water,dry,rub with cooking oil,crisco,etc.,place upside down in a 350* oven with aluminus foil underneath [to catch drippings] for an hour,let cool,wipe out.might have to do it again!
    why ask me ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stokernick View Post
    check out online:sandpaper to remove the rust,wash with hot soapy water,dry,rub with cooking oil,crisco,etc.,place upside down in a 350* oven with aluminus foil underneath [to catch drippings] for an hour,let cool,wipe out.might have to do it again!
    thats how Id do it accept Ive had one sand blasted and used a wire wheel on another. Too much work with paper.
    Why does everyone keep calling me Richard Noggin?? My name is George!

Just bring some aloe.....ima tan that hide.......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Often You'll have to season it a few good times, or just cook with it awhile to keep that metallic taste out of the food... Also, clean it out without soap immediately after Your done with the food especially with a fresh seasoning... If the food is allowed to stick, the scrubbing that it takes to clean the pot will take some seasoning off with it... After I clean mine with just water I'll put it on the stove an reheat it till it gets close to 300 degrees briefly to get any moisture from the pores of the cast metal, then turn off the heat for a cool down... When the pot temp gets under 200 degrees I take a blob of vegetable shortening on a folded paper towel and "slick" the pot inside and out and leave it alone till next time... I've got some inhereted cast cookingware that hasn't seen soap ever and the pots are probably 70-80 years old... On the inside they look like they're made of soot, but they sure do cook like a dream and nothing sticks to them... The older the better...
    Kevin Kiser

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stokernick View Post
    I'v read some info about the seasoning process and putting it in the oven and all but that for pots and such... My problem is that I do not have an oven big enough for this thing,,, remember it is 26 1/2" across and 17" 18" deep and about 150 pounds, so a household oven is out of the question, and I dont think a regular fire under it will evenly get ALL the kettle up to 375* or 400* especally up arround the rim area, the botom will be hot but cooler the further up ya go.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but think how good that chili's gonna taste,then some pulled pork,damn,I'm hungry!
    why ask me ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sandblast it well to get all the rust and dirt off. Wipe it down good with alcohol to get the blasting media dust off. Smear it with a good, thin coat of vegetable oil or crisco. Not too heavy and dont miss any spots. Put it on a propane cooker on a fairly low flame and the oil will heat and soak in the pores of the metal. Probably should do it several times, thin coats of oil.

11. Likes Li'l Toy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Stryker View Post
    Often You'll have to season it a few good times, or just cook with it awhile to keep that metallic taste out of the food... Also, clean it out without soap immediately after Your done with the food especially with a fresh seasoning... If the food is allowed to stick, the scrubbing that it takes to clean the pot will take some seasoning off with it... After I clean mine with just water I'll put it on the stove an reheat it till it gets close to 300 degrees briefly to get any moisture from the pores of the cast metal, then turn off the heat for a cool down... When the pot temp gets under 200 degrees I take a blob of vegetable shortening on a folded paper towel and "slick" the pot inside and out and leave it alone till next time... I've got some inhereted cast cookingware that hasn't seen soap ever and the pots are probably 70-80 years old... On the inside they look like they're made of soot, but they sure do cook like a dream and nothing sticks to them... The older the better...
    ++++1

86 Apache Scout 300X
    INDIAN OUTLAW

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just seasoned up a caldron I picked up at a flea market. I sand blasted it, powerwashed it, coated it with peanut oil (just what I had) then threw some kindling in, started a fire and added apple wood. I kept it going all afternoon. Did a little BBQ'ing with a grill on it later in the day. I dumped the ashes out the next day, rinsed and wiped it down with a another coat of oil. It looks like it could use one more session.
    Steve Schefer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wire wheeled the heck out of it and scrubed it several times with soap and water to start from scratch and built a charcoal fire under it and wiped the inside down with vegatable oil and let it cook for 2 or so hours and wiped out any extra oil. I think I'll do this a time or two more

15. Likes Li'l Toy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once it's cleaned up I would bet if you wiped it down with peanut oil and set it out in the sun inverted, maybe a couple of coats a few days apart, it would develop a seasoning like a coat of teflon.

Peanut oil oxidizes, like linseed oil, but has an agreeable flavor.
    To fish or not to fish? What a STUPID question.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by j_martin View Post
    Once it's cleaned up I would bet if you wiped it down with peanut oil and set it out in the sun inverted, maybe a couple of coats a few days apart, it would develop a seasoning like a coat of teflon.

Peanut oil oxidizes, like linseed oil, but has an agreeable flavor.
    I tried to tell them!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast