Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MYT - 'Massive Yet Tiny' Engine = 850 Hp

I saw this prototype and my first thought is it should be an outboard powerhead! OK maybe not, it's got a bit of power for that, but...

It's made by Angel Labs at http://www.angellabsllc.com/index.html

Some basic facts I would like to point out: The MYT engine weighs 150 pounds, measures 14 inches in diameter & 14 inches tall. It's internal geometry when operated for two revolutions will displace 848 cubic inches. In normally aspirated setup it makes 850 horsepower. Every two revolutions will generate 32 exhaust pulses, should really scream! The engine is air & oil cooled, with no water-cooling needed. It can be run in CCW or CW rotation with apparently no major changes made. If turbo-charged, this engine can make 3000 Horsepower

Unfortunately, the site doesn't seem to say anything about how many rpm's this engine is running. Just that future development will see unusually high numbers.

The tricky parts are only explained in the patent, which Angel Labs has made available: http://www.angellabsllc.com/docs/6739307.pdf - this file is 1.34 Megs

I know this might never happen, but lets contemplate installing one of these things into a boat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far, this is a "Pie in the sky" that has never run on fuel, only compressed air. It rates right there with the Airscooter.....

"Confidence" is that wonderful feeling you had right before you fully understood your true situation.- Unknown
    I don’t know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they terrify me.- Duke of Wellington
    “I am not afraid of an Army of lions lead by a sheep; I am afraid of sheep lead by a lion.” – Alexander the Great
    Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.-Douglas MacArthur

Allison GSE 300XS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JR IN JAX View Post
    So far, this is a "Pie in the sky" that has never run on fuel, only compressed air. It rates right there with the Airscooter.....
    Actually according to his website it originally ran on diesel, but was converted to run on compressed air in order to be demonstrated indoors. It's a solid concept, I'd like to see one running on actual fuel.
    99 XB2003, 2.5 280 - SOLD
    91 Hydrostream Voyager, 225 PM - SOLD

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JR IN JAX View Post
    And the flying car.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I was hungry?

The motor actually has been run on a liquid fuel. And I understand that this does not mean it could do this for extended periods of time. The website doesn't say anything about how the bearings work for example. Also, the manner in how each piston is attached to it's hub would worry me.

There needs to be some independent third-party to do some dyno tests before I really get interested in this thing, as it looks like it's still a rough prototype.

So besides having a lot of secondary engineering issues to iron-out, it's still a very good idea. I just hope it doesn't go the same way as the Dyna-Cam did.

And if anyone else is partial to sky pie, this thread's for you!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about that engine powered by magnets!!! LOL!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magnetic Motors

A former autoworker from Windsor, Ontario holds a patent on a magnetic motor.
    http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/st...d-da946912f2d9 I don't think he has a prototype yet. There is also a Windsor company that has built a 300lb. prototype rotary engine that is claimed to produce over 550 hp. http://www.vengeancepower.com/
    1972 Checkmate MX-15, Merc inline 1500xs
    2010 Tuff 16, 15" Merc 2.5 (150XR6, 200, Drag, S3000 powerheads)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOh-YewzPc0

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've thought about how to build a magnet motor using permanent magnets. Electromagnets(if you mean solenoids) are just a different way to make an electric motor, and usually less effective at converting a watt of power into motion. Using permanent magnets, I could never figure out how to turn on or off the magnetic field using less energy than what the field itself could put out. But I've heard rumors that there are ways to do that. It's a kind of magnetic amplifier, but that sort of thing gets very complicated!

So the windsor mechanic got a mexican patent because that's cheaper? I've never heard of doing that before. Gotta wonder how much protection that would give you if a chinese factory was copying your work...But he eventually got a canadian patent, so the issue becomes what to do if an american company hires a chinese factory to copy his motor?

If I ever figure out a way to beat the oil industry, I'll release that under a general public license.

The vengeance turbine is neat. I've always wondered if someone would try to use a rotary-vane compressor to make a combustion motor. It will probably have more sealing issues than the wankel ever had, however. But it looks like it should work. They have photos on their site showing the parts of, and complete protoype - so they are getting very serious with it. That's the best part!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mdc View Post
    A former autoworker from Windsor, Ontario holds a patent on a magnetic motor.
    http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/st...d-da946912f2d9 I don't think he has a prototype yet. There is also a Windsor company that has built a 300lb. prototype rotary engine that is claimed to produce over 550 hp. http://www.vengeancepower.com/
    That design looks like the old Rolator refrigeration compressor from 60 years ago. The end vane seal is an issue even though the rolator was mist lubricated by the oil mizability of the incoming refrigerant, something an A/F combustion engine does not have.

"Confidence" is that wonderful feeling you had right before you fully understood your true situation.- Unknown
    I don’t know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they terrify me.- Duke of Wellington
    “I am not afraid of an Army of lions lead by a sheep; I am afraid of sheep lead by a lion.” – Alexander the Great
    Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.-Douglas MacArthur

Allison GSE 300XS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear that it is in the timing of the fields... But you cannot create energy. If you ever figure out a way to do it, the oil companies will make you rich from the pay offs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BkWdsDrftr View Post
    I've thought about how to build a magnet motor using permanent magnets. Electromagnets(if you mean solenoids) are just a different way to make an electric motor, and usually less effective at converting a watt of power into motion. Using permanent magnets, I could never figure out how to turn on or off the magnetic field using less energy than what the field itself could put out. But I've heard rumors that there are ways to do that. It's a kind of magnetic amplifier, but that sort of thing gets very complicated!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forkin' Crazy View Post
    I hear that it is in the timing of the fields... But you cannot create energy. If you ever figure out a way to do it, the oil companies will make you rich from the pay offs!!!
    My original idea was to mount magnets in geared rollers, like a planetary gear-set - with an inner and outer gear to keep the rollers clocked. Another set of permanent magnets would be mounted in fixed positions around the path of the rollers. As each geared roller rotates, it would change the orientation of it's magnet, and thus create a changing magnetic field that would alternately push & pull with the fixed magnets.

The problem is that the energy needed to rotate a magnet is equal to the force that magnet is exerting, plus an additional amount needed to overcome the friction of the gear-teeth and bearings. The best it would do is rotate 10 degrees until it reached an equilibrium point, and then stop very solidly. The force needed to begin rotating another 10 degrees was greater than it put out to continue to the next equilibrium point. I tried re-clocking the rollers to every possible combination by re-assembly. The one thing that I found is that this thing had a lot of combinations! There were 12 rollers, with 30 teeth on each. I think that's 34,240 combinations. I probably didn't try every one....And then I could have tried moving the fixed magnets around, but I wasn't interested by that point!

The challenge is to temporarily disable a permanent magnets field force by using a small input force - a magnetic amplifier. That sounds like creating energy from nothing though. I know better, really!

But the magnetic project isn't anything I'm about to try right now.

One source of energy that I like to think about often is all the radio emissions that fill the air. Other people have paid to transmit this energy, and it's just bouncing around for free. A simple crystal radio can tap this energy without using any outside power. If there was a way to design a sold-state device to create an array of these radios, the amount of each one would add-up to enough to charge a small battery. An intriguing attempt is called the Airnergy, that is supposed to use the 2.4Ghz radiation from Wi-Fi hotspots to charge a battery, which can later be used to charge a cell-phone. - Possibly not a real device, as the total energy it could collect is small. But the fact is, that it really can collect an amount of energy, however small. This would be a way to make a machine 'appear' to be perpetual motion.

A friend has a 25 foot cat that needs something faster than the pair of 225 Johnsons it came with. He want's me to keep an eye out for a pair of Merc 300's, but his budget isn't high enough. That has been on my mind, so I've been thinking about alternatives, not necessarily for his boat.

One idea is to use an electric motor directly mounted to the prop, with a high-powered genset mounted inboard. Maybe a Rolls turbine such as that 400 horse unit that MTT helped install on an outboard. But with the generator still attached. The main advantage is de-coupling the engine rpm's from the prop, so that the engine can run at full output with the propeller being run at a slower speed until the boat gets going. A secondary advantage is eliminating power-losses from gear & bearing friction. It would look like a shortened torpedo mounted under the boat, and I would base the prototype on torpedo designs.