Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mercury 1500 bogging down, stator??

My Mercury 1500 is bogging down. It will plane out sometimes and sometimes it wont. I have replaced the cdi box and wiring harnesses. I was told it is probably the stator. I thought it could be a carb or fuel pump problem but was told not likely. It has the thunderbolt ignition and is an inline 6. Any help would be appreciated!!

I last took it out a week ago. It ran fine for the first couple hours. (it's a bass boat so alot of stopping and starting) I gave it throttle and the engine sounded sick and would not plane out. After a couple of tries it finally planed but would keep "cutting back" and bogging down.

Please Help!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would check the fuel system and do a link and sync. The stator is used to only charge the battery on that motor. Unfortunately, many of the shops today have no clue how to work on one so either find someone over 50 or learn about them yourself.

How about a little history on the motor? What type of fuel/oil ratio? When did it last get a new water pump?

Kirk S.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Kirk check out the fuel system . If you just started using ethonol gas more than likely you've cleaned out your gas tank and fuel lines and filled your carbs with years of collected debris.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was my uncle's boat and he gave it to me. He used it maybe twice a year so it sat alot!! Last year i replaced the switch box, internal and external wiring harness, rectifier and water pump. It ran descent last year and the beginning of this fishing season but it would kinda "cut back" a lil and then pick back up at wot. The last couple of times it ran fine to begin with but as the day went on it got worse til finally it wouldn't plane out and sounded sick. Next time i take it out i'll get my friend to squeze the primer bulb when it does it to see if that helps. I have heard that the carb jets are not big enough for that motor so I will step up to .82 jets soon.

Water pump replaced last year and i use a 50:1 mixture

Where should i start with fuel system? I know the carbs are a pain to get off. Looks like I have to take distributor off to get to them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced the fuel lines on all the carbs that come from the carb bowls. The bottom carb had a split in the line, I hope that fixes it!! Will find out soon